Guild Idea(Guild Hall, Roles, and Money)

Well I doubt many people will spend too much time in their Guild Hall. Many members would not be able to do anything except use stations. WOW Garrisons were a little different…

The features your talking of such as permissions are already in place … you can set permissions on beacons builder, worker, engineer. You can already make doors to lock out anyone without permission so a simple door in front of your portal resolves that issue. What you described and garrisons are exactly the same when you take into account the content of the game…for example wow is about fighting mobs gathering materials and crafting which could be done in your garrison all without outside interaction… this game is about building, crafting, gathering (either through normal means or killing monsters) which all could be done within the confines or surrounding area of a claimed plot… private islands would again just like garrisons promote this anti social behaviour in my eyes. This is an open world, sandbox, mmo… the moment your start isolating areas and dividing the community you are no longer an open world sandbox and you become just another mmo but with voxel elements. One thing most people would agree about this game is it can be visually stunning for a voxel game and the creations from it’s player base definitely showcase that… guild halls should represent the guild, its capability and its standing amongst other competing or friendly guilds …blocking it off from the outside world seems like throwing a blanket over a work of art. Community creations are the main thing that is going draw more and more people in to play. To each their own but I would hate to see this game take the direction of all the other generic mmo’s out there and personally i know it won’t as the devs have a very clear direction and so does the majority of it’s community all of which I love.

6 Likes

one of the reasons i play this game is because its all open world. i think making instances would ruin what is such a unique game, i have played Albion beta for a year and the "privet island/guild island system never took off, it was fun building them but after that no one was ever there. ( i was in one of the biggest guilds in the game) we all met up in the towns never the instanced islands.
it would be nice though to implement guild options, so a guild tab?? so you could see whos online in your guild as well as your friends list. and of course have admin options with permissions.
as you can already add so many people to your own beacon and the last updated added beacon permissions, such as builder etc. i think there guild villages/halls are already possible and would be fun to do. and as you can now set permissions for certain people to use your storage a guild bank (right now) is not entirely necessary.

5 Likes

agreed also, whats the point in a guild spending 100+ hours grinding to create a stunning village or building if they cant show it off :stuck_out_tongue: id wanna show it off and make it better then everyone else’s. but that’s just me

2 Likes

We have individual permission. I am talking about group permissions. Like anyone who has ___role can do ____things on this plot. It is easier than having to type in every name.

Something like the following but more fine grain?

5 Likes

That has already been discussed amongst the community and the devs. By what the dev’s have divulged it is already in the pipeline for guild beacons. The guild content has yet to hit the testing or live server but is already in early development again @onebitknightly has linked you one of the original conversations for this topic you might want to move it over there as it prevents repetition and the division of the forum community . :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I personally intend to rent a live planet specifically for use by my own guild. A “private island” of sorts the size of a planet. I should be able to restrict visitor access to the portal hub and guild hall while allowing members private world to exploit to their hearts content.

4 Likes

Obviously your money your decision but to me that leans more towards p2w and whale mentality. E.g ill rent multiple planets and lock out everyone except the people i want and capitalise on rare resources which then can be sold on the market place or used in public worlds. But hey again to each their own I suppose…maybe the days of fair and equal opportunity in games are dead. :sob:

I think you may be assuming the worst here. Firstly, I’d contest that this is not p2w at all. In order for a rented world to be connected to the public realm, it must comply with the devs world generation specifications. This means I would have no easier access to to resources any more valuable than public worlds, and no rarer resources than can be found on worlds of the same tier. All the same dangers, distribution and benefits of a public world. What I am paying for is population density control. My world will not yield more or less resources than a public world. We still have to manually harvest resources and find the best nodes ourselves. This is no different than traveling to a remote location on a remote world to mine.

Secondly, this gives my guild the oprtunity to build planned settlements without the interfaces of public players. Plans can be enforced on settlements without squatters inserting themselves into the city and refusing to cooperate.

A rented world gives the possibility of organizing a true government. In a public world, there is no authority, it’s pure anarchy. A rented world can have established rules, regulations, and consequences to enforce them. Any player seeking to play in an orderly way would be drawn to such a server.

Think of a rented server as a private minecraft server. The owner must serve the community and remove toxic players, or else the community leaves and the owner is wasting their time playing alone. This creates a superior experience to anarchic public worlds, while allowing interactions with the public worlds.

5 Likes

I fully understand the benefits of the system and I have run a private minecraft server for 2 years so I fully grasp the advantages of it however just because a planet has to abide to the same rules as the public planets you can still capitalise on resources “without competition” which in itself equals pay 2 win feature. The fact that you still have to gather resources by hand does not change the fact you can control the population and capitalise on an entire planets resources. I have encountered the pit falls of an open community area which (if you look at some parts of therka’s main city and other main cities) can be chaotic hopefully the decaying beacon system purposed will be implemented which should alleviate some of the problems and stress associated with building a cohesive city / town however it really saddens me to think that the community will be divided and exploitation of the market will be have a price tag and be accessible to those with a credit card. I am not suggesting you have those intentions nor any of the players I have encountered in game with the same goal in mind but as discussed in many posts related to griefing it takes only one bad apple to ruin what is an amazing experience. I do believe people should be given the opportunity to prove that they are just and fair and that this community is one of the best I have ever encountered in any game ( mmo, sandbox or otherwise), I love ya’s all but history, personal experience and better judgement points to the bad apple arising. I am sure the dev’s have pondered over this fact and have weighed the pro’s and con’s…I guess we will just have to wait and see…and enjoy this awesome game / community :):smiley:

5 Likes

In my experience games that encourage people to spend typically result in bigger development teams and better games. People who pay for planets generally do so to share them - and with the correct public restrictions most will gladly do so. This will not IMO result in a significant resource benefit.

Given how rare resources are currently abundant (but take time to search for) - I doubt that public worlds will make the IRL rich more powerful. If anything - exactly the opposite will happen IMO - the additional space and thematic abilities from sponsored worlds will benefit the many.

4 Likes

How is world ownership with, say, 100 members, any different from playing a low population world with fewer than 100 members? How is renting a world any different than a guild spreading 10,000 plots to reserve an entire (or large portion of) a planet? This does not enable the owner to “win”, nor does it prevent others from winning. P2W implies that you must do this to win, and others who do not pay cannot win without significant investments beyond players who pay.

You can already eliminate competition in game if you so choose.

If you were buying xp, resources, levels, items that are better than can be found in game, etc, I’d argue that is p2w. Rented worlds are not p2w. Rented worlds are an investment in a community. What that community does determines whether they “win” or not. Granted, playing as a community is inherently superior to solo play. Should private communications and guild websites be prohibited because they give a paid advantage?

1 Like

if I remember the conversation correctly (and I may not) you can’t stop people from visiting or harvesting on your world. you can just stop them from placing beacons.

5 Likes

That is technically correct. That being said, the voxel nature of the game and plot permissions can be used to satisfy the conditions I seek for my rented world. By securing a landing zone on a world and restrictions on who can pass through the LZ to the rest of the world, you can effectively restrict visitors to just the guild city and trade areas, while preserving the rest of the planet for guild members. Essentially, building a wall around the portal to the world, and only giving guild members access to the door out. Also, I believe we will be able to whitelist and blacklist players? I don’t know if this applies to all rented worlds or just remote “non-public” worlds.

5 Likes

Besides, surely guilds want want to show off their guild ‘hall’?! Hiding it away I’m some private no-mans land is not good.

5 Likes

You’re forgetting about warp crystals :wink:
I guess you could work around this by making your personal planet accessible from your locations or sanctum so you can always get to it. There could be a second option to choose whether people can warp to your planet or not?

3 Likes

True. As far as I am aware, rented worlds (those connected to the main universe) will be visible in the sky just like the other planets, so they’ll still be accessible to other players.

3 Likes

That’s something that I need more clarification on. If, as @Stretchious says, rented worlds are visible in the sky as planets, and not just as pin picks of light from the sanctum, then yes, warp crystals totally negate this strategy. If however, as I hypothesize, rented worlds are instead represented as light spots from the sanctum, and do not float in the skies of other public worlds, then warp crystals would not be able to reach such a world.

I base this hypothesis entirely on the question: “where do you even situate a rented world in the public universe?” If you attach it to a public world’s system, and then discontinued renting that world, would it vanish from the public view? And, wouldn’t that take the place of other worlds in the solar systems natural progression of planets?

My hypothetical solution to accessing a rented world involves having a portal in a player’s own plot both fueled by the monthly payments of a rented world, situated on a public planet. One would then simply access this remote rented world via portal.

3 Likes

I am all for supporting this game by any means as long it does not take away from the overall experience. Monopolising resources through that of a simple credit card swipe and not hard work is p2w. The lines between what is pay to win and what is not pay to win have been blurred over many different genres and through many different methods however if you pay to get any sort of an advantage no matter how small that makes it a pay to win feature. Rented planets are not p2w i did not say that, what i said was restricting who visits / gathers from that planet does lead to p2w behaviour however as @Jeffrotheswell and @Stretchious this is not the case, which I am over joyed about. Again I am all for supporting this game and if I have the time I would gladly rent a planet in the future. This is not a witch hunt to those planning to rent planets at all and this whole conversation spurred from the @CryBloodwing suggesting dividing the community with private islands and instances when we should be promoting more social interactions even between competing factions. :slight_smile: Please take no offence all said with love for this game and it’s community :smile:

3 Likes