Guild leader took all his plots and left

Yep, I’m farming plots on all my 10 alts for a future project, that’s why I can lend this town some if they need it. :slight_smile:

I still wouldn’t willingly delete any character with hundreds of plots tho, even if they were earned just by leveling.

The game is built around trust, and the tutorials tell you (when you’re introduced to beacon controls) that you should be careful about who you allow to work on your beacon - and the same goes for building on other people’s beacons.

What he did, while annoying and frustrating, didn’t actually breach any of the rules. There are no rules against doing whatever you like with your own plots - and creating rules around such is a slippery slope.

The lesson here is to be weary of who you choose to work with, at least in cases where large amounts of resources are being contributed.

6 Likes

While all that is true (and I do think that the owner of the plots has every right to unplot whenever), the ‘taking our stuff’ part (which I assume was a shared guild storage) is a precedent that I would rather not be set.

I think it would be preferable to keep the game as an environment where the default mode of thinking is ‘trust people until they give you a reason not to’ rather than ‘mistrust everyone unless you know them IRL, and even then be careful’ that is more prevalent in the pvp-oriented online sandboxes.

2 Likes

But how can you prove that it was shared stuff? If it was on his plots then it’s fair to assume it was his. If it was on someone else plot, but he had an access to it, how can you prove he didn’t put his stuff there, and then took his stuff from there.

Innocent until PROVEN otherwise, ring a bell?

I despise mob mentality, their pitchforks, and crave for lynch.

I’m not writing that OP’s

is lie. Because I have no proof that he’s lying, but look from the other side, there is no proof that he tells the truth.

And since OP wrote:

Don’t start the naming and shaming process in the name of whatever comes to your minds.

You’re arguing that the devs won’t take any action in this case so he will be free to do it again. And being wary of who you work with would be helped if you know about players who had a history of abusing other player’s trust.

So if one lays plots some land, and other will come settle near, then the one can’t unplot this land, because reasons? Absurd!

2 Likes

I’m not naming and shaming, I’ve actually repeatedly said that no one should be doing that.

I’m saying that the correct course of action is to tell the devs, if they feel that the unnamed guild leader took their stuff, and then let the devs figure out who the stuff belonged to or not, not us. We have no proof and only one side so far to listen to, so we can’t really judge, at all. You know who can? The devs, that’s why they finally posted a code of conduct. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Post was aimed not at you :slight_smile: Just wanted highlight that specific part as conversation. Post was aimed at those who say that “community” should be warned against specific player.

Sadly when you quote someone, it does automatically marks reply as reply to the quoted post. :confused:

And I wholeheartedly agree!

1 Like

i agree with this statement, the devs should not interact in such situations.

because the devs can never know what was the story behind.
Maybe someone stole alot from a guild storage before?
where the items in storage really from guild ppl?
maybe they had beef before?

maybe he just decided that he dont want to be the member anymore and also was to lazy to explain it to the ppl.

so, nope, devs should not interact in such situations.

its sad to hear this happend, if i where online i would come, claim and give you rights until you have enough plots.

4 Likes

The growing consensus, which you seem to be sympathetic to, seems to be that this is nothing to do with the devs and is a player problem.

I’m sympathetic to the plight, and willing to help in the one way that I can, but I’m unsympathetic to resolving this dispute between two players (or groups) in the court of public opinion over the forums.

If a player feels something wrong was done to them, they should take it to the devs, who will know better if there is reason to take action or not, instead of starting a witch hunt.

Edit: Just to be extra clear, I’m saying that the devs are the only ones that can know if something wrong was done or not. That is different than saying “I think the devs should do something”.

2 Likes

Actually only the devs can get hard evidence. When it comes to players it’s word against word. Dev’s can pull log and check exactly what was stored and taken out when and by whom.

It is. It’s a trust problem. When you lend your friend some money and he does not pay back. Is it a state problem or yours? And what will the court say if you have no evidence that the money was ever lent?

I’d tell everyone I knew not to lend him money!

2 Likes

I personally believe this is a civil matter, that should be sorted out by the players involved.

The developers have more important thing to do than get into the weeds of player drama and he said, she said - as it can’t be determined who’s items were who’s.

3 Likes

I definitely agree with the sentiment. I’m just unsure how best to resolve it without causing more issues.

1 Like

And depending how you do it and what words will you use, you can be sued in civil court. Add in newspaper (naming & shaming like here on forums) could get you in trouble. Whispers to other friends ears will not.

You’ve taken the right path by reporting it to the devs through the in game report function. If an action needs to be taken, they are in a better position to advise what that action is.

I would absolutely not name and shame on the public forums or discord as it’s against the Code of Conduct to do so.

For consideration:
It may be a case of the player not liking the recent game changes and deleting their own characters out of frustration. This action would result in the mass unfriending and plots being instantly removed from the game, making all of their items lootable by anyone.

There may be no intended malice at all. Let the devs investigate and advise further.

6 Likes

That’s the thing, as players we just can’t resolve it without resorting to the pitchforks and taking sides. :slight_smile:

We can offer to lend plots, maybe help out with some tools, as a ‘disaster aid’ sort of initiative, but as to the dispute itself, not only we’re unable to resolve it, but we shouldn’t even attempt to or meddle in.

4 Likes

I think it’s worth bearing in mind, in the absence of any other information at this point, that this situation is completely within the game mechanics. As has been mentioned, it’s a trust issue.

If you join a group and are given access to shared resources (plots, blocks, etc) then there is always going to be risk. At some point we all have to decide who we’re going to trust, and with how much - the safest way to play is always going to be relying on your own plots, resources, etc. But is that the most fun?

I’m not condoning underhand or ‘unkind’ actions on the part of players - and I don’t want people to have bad game experiences, but it is a part of the social ‘politics’ of this kind of single-shard, player-driven MMO.

It’s very different from EVE Online in lots of ways, but Boundless does share the potential for interesting player-led politics/events. In the end, you never know what people will do next, and while I’m sure lots of players have their plans and ambitions for what they want to do in the game, the unpredictability is quite compelling.

7 Likes

If we can’t share ur guild leader’s name, may i ask what is your guild’s name ? or Settlement’s name.
Also the location please XD

Very Curious, I may want to visit your place one day i think XD

1 Like