Happy 1 month anniversary, footfall being broken!

Yall are at a stage where the system just needs to be fixed. IMO I’d say fix it to update daily instead of every 24 days as it was clearly originally intended. Let us as players balance the market afterwards. Prices will be volatile as hell, and that’s only natural for any fledgling economy. Once people realize they have their guaranteed daily income again, if you want currency to be a thing in this game, it will solve the problem itself. As it stands now theres no currency to regularly use. Introduce the ‘fixed’ footfall and the economy goes through a seizure but will regulate itself over the next coming months.

The other thing is to scrap footfall altogether and implemented a new guaranteed daily currency generator. I definitely dont think there is anything wrong with fixing the footfall to work as it was originally intended though. People will complain and lash out regardless. Like other things, it’ll settle over time. If anything, just daily update that metrics are being analyzed and as a result next week x change is planned to combat y reason.

Thanks for addressing the problem, currency definitely needs some pass over if it’s intended to be a core mechanic of the game.

2 Likes

That’s good enough for me. I’m just glad to know that you guys are working on it and that there is a little light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks!

1 Like

Footfall may have been broken before discovery, but footfall was functioning up until the point of discovery. And the economy crashed and burned when the footfall tap was shut off. While we appreciate the efforts it is also painful to watch what the economy has become and the effect it is having on peoples’ playstyles and ability to enjoy the game.

Could just dial footfall or whatever up a little every week until we meet the mark.

Bottom line the game kinda sucks right now for anybody who doesn’t want to play solo.

Yea i was discussing this earlier and i thought daily quests for ever profession should be a thing.

• mine 20k blocks for instance. Reward 2000c
4 Likes

Yea, I’ve read several discussions over the last few months proposing it as a potential problem solver. It may not be the fix we need but it might work well in addition to footfall so that those who dont build huge things can have a small bit of daily spending cash if they primarily hunt and need to supplement wares a bit.

2 Likes

This might be an unpopular opinion. I don’t think footfall is the issue. I personally think the issue is a lack of a better way to get coin. Why should the only “stable” way of getting coin in this game be something that is more or less 100% passive after it is said and done? It makes no sense

What doses make more sense is for you to put in more daily feats, (you already have 2, one for exp, and the other for time logged in) that reward coin, add some that reward an decent amount of it, not just 100 coin, but 500 or 1000. You should put in more feats that will motivate people to log in, and go out and do things. Like collecting an certain amount of an item or killing a certain amount of a mob. This i feel would be a lot better for the game in all accounts, then a passive income where people are going to scream to high hevens about because the player count is dropping or their shop is no longer popular.

You need to motivate people to be active and go out and do something. I Hate passive income

11 Likes

Only if whatever replaces it is also passive. Any kind of active income voids the point.

No it doesn’t void the point, You can still be passive in your shop or prison cell if you like, You just won’t get the max per day if you don’t want to go out and do something. There is nothing wrong with having both passive and active income, Active should always be more rewarding then passive.

7 Likes

I understand how one would feel that way. I just disagree. I think a daily targeted to each play style that you could choose from would be great. I don’t think you should be rewarded passive income for not playing daily. If you want to earn income, then a daily would work. It would force people to a) log in and b) take resources out of environment helping to keep shop values of items semi-stable.

That’s just a really loose version of the idea though. It’s not like I am saying implement that explicitly. I just think there is a way to do it that doesnt have to be shoe horned in as passive.

2 Likes

No. The entire point of football is to give builders who don’t want to hunt or gather an income to buy from those who do.

Footfall/passive income has to come back or the portal hubs will die and, with them, the game.

3 Likes

Which is fine, but that should not be the only way, or the best way, or the most stable way, and right now it is, Once you run out of one time feats to do, foot fall is the only way to generate income, this is wrong.

The game won’t die if portal hubs die. Furthermore i don’t think they will die, they will just have to be smarter about it and accept the fact that running a portal hub is not going to be 100% self sustaining, they will actually have to go out on hunts of their own to keep it running. Which isn’t a bad thing either.

2 Likes

We could have both, though? Make footfall only trigger from portal use, and then add daily’s so the entire economy can get coin. Whatever solution does need to reward the portal networks, but there needs to be a reliable way for the entire community to generate coin.

@james

It seems pretty obvious that the initial intent was 24 hours not 24 days, yes? Then fix it, and balance it as you have to, the community should understand (and I assume if it worked as intended from day 1 there would still need to be tweeks, anyways). Dev cowardice is a terrible reason to see a game founder.

5 Likes

It most certainly will. I, for one, will be gone the moment I no longer have easy travel between worlds. Paying to warp is stupid.

1 Like

You leaving doesnt mean the game has died. Plenty of others have left, and the game is still trucking. I fully believe in a year this game will be immensely better than it is now. Right now theyve got some things to work through and for you it might be best to take an extended break. I did the same thing with NMS, now I really enjoy it.

You’d be surprised what a difference a year makes, especially when you come back with a fresh new perspective. Not trying to encourage you leave in any way but crying chicken little without knowing what could or would happen is a bit extreme.

2 Likes

Paying to warp is not stupid as that is one of the few things that removes coin from the system, furthermore it would mean this item will actually be used more.

Also if you have active feats to do, you can make up that coin, by, going out, and doing something.

1 Like

There also needs to be a way for builders not working portal hubs to earn income as well.

1 Like

The only issue with this game that (I don’t think) NMS had/has is that if you quit Boundless, it’s a hard quit due to how beacons work. In a year, for sure, this game will be better (or at least closer to being a finished, $40 game), but the people that left a month after release would need to start all over. That might be a slightly harder sell.

Presumable there would be builder targeted daily quests (Gain 1000 prestige, place 500 blocks, w/e)

Absolutely right.

1 Like

And if I’m a builder I AM doing something, I’m building. I need money to pay the gatherers and hunters.

1 Like