Hard code buff/heal bomb range, reduce durability?

Can we add range to heals and buff bomb boons similar to the regen bombs, but also reduce the durability? I think a +10-12m range could mostly fix this. We got some new buff bombs which fail to apply buffs while quick players are in motion, moving out of their range before the server assigns the values.

I’m not even hunting since my preferred role is plagued by a very fixable issue. I haven’t gotten much of a response on whether or not it’s my fault when I have pretty decent connection on these planets with <80ms latency, so I created another thread with a proposal to introduce a buff to the boon and a balance check just to fix it on an average scale. I don’t think I’m out of line since others have expressed that they experience the same.

1 Like

mmm… not sure how I feel about this. I kind of would prefer the current AOE’s and forge in more.

If there is no easy solution for the net code that causes this issue, that would be a decent band-aid fix. But I do think that it sounds a bit much. I was thinking something more in the lines of +3-5m (still double+ most gem bombs), so the bigger radius boon remains viable as a forging addition.

Right, I meant 10-12m hard coded radius total, similar to regen’s version but half as much. As it stands now, a heavily forged topaz can still fail, even with augs. Like 8.5m range total is still not enough, and imo it’s kind of fail if there has to be that much range forged into a boon for it to be viable for in-combat buffs and it still fails. I want to avoid the “stand on me for buffs” situations because of the buff duration being only 20s

1 Like

Ah, I see, yeah that makes sense. The + threw me off.
I made some cheap copper buff bombs to try out the buffs, so far they have been pretty underwhelming in groups. It’s definitely rough that we need to pretty much forge the heck out of topaz or blink bombs just to make the group aspect function in the first place, and in the case of buffs only to gain just 20 seconds per use.

I’m currently doing some research/testing for finally adding bombs to the damage calculator and another idea came to mind: what if the healing epic added range to bombs with healing/replenishing/cleansing and buffs?

I blame this on the way they made netcode for this game, You can have no lag, but it seems some interactions with mobs and players haves a built in delay that is always there, Which I think is due to the way the game was coded, I have never encountered this type of delay and resulting faults in other games when I have good ping.

I am not 100% sure where the real blame should be at, but that is my guess.

1 Like

Probably TCP/UDP related. If so, that’s terrible, but still somewhat fixable. I haven’t lost all hope, but haven’t gotten any traction on the issue

I still don’t understand how the bombs work so differently than the slingbow or fist when it comes to hitting targets. I mean, unless I am getting lag spikes I never see enemy health go up, even when they are moving and I shoot them. But try and hit a player? They need to stand still for 2sec, you buff/heal them, wait another second or two, then they can move or the effect falls off.

1 Like

This is a two way interaction vs. a three way interaction.

When I tell the server I’m shooting a mob it just has to decide whether or not the mob was there. Same for the timing of a mob attacking you after you already killed it. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve been defeated, then revived 0.5 - 1 seconds later. Often to die immediately because i thought i was dead and so was unprepared to be insta-revived and still in combat.

I don’t know how well you connect but on my local regions I’m often looking at 150ms ping times as reported by the game. And this is a regular occurance.

As soon as you try to interact with another player, it’s not just client-server-client any more. It’s client → server → other client → server → client.

Got a 30ms ping time on the server we’re hunting? Get prepared for a 350 - 400ms round trip while i’m running by you at max speed …

I don’t know at what point in the chain the server is deciding whether or not the throw was a hit. With an unbuffed run speed of over 10m/s and two people having 150ms ping times 10m is likely to be insufficient to guarantee a hit. 12m is a solid maybe.

In a perfect world the devs could accept client prediction on this and just notify the other party of the buff - but there are already tools in use for data injection.

I don’t have a great deal of insight into how the traffic is structured here so this is mainly conjecture on the technical aspects but IMO these are probably some of the issues.

Even at a 12m AoE I suppose the devs could be looking to rebalance this as a ‘party buff’ - at which time maybe they could go the full 20m. This would guarantee a hit for pretty much any ‘playable’ connection.

1 Like

Glad someone else did some testing. To be completely fair I think people at 10 m/s for a hunt are in the minority, but I don’t get my durability back when a heal or a buff fails. Total drag.

1 Like

Interesting. That’s 8/8 agility I just figured it was basic spec for a high level hunter.

I mean maybe… I’m 50 and opt for less agi to run a combo heal and tank spec. I think underleveled hunters make up at least half of a group at any time, and even then people still outrun forged topaz heals. :<