Help me understand plot theory

Under the new plot settlement system. If I have a large expanse that is plotted in the air as a 50x100x1to basically claim real estate for a future settlement build, is this a vulnerable settlement or am I secure against “attachment fraud”?

1 Like

You might have to explain what you mean by “attachment fraud”. If you mean someone else becoming connected to the settlement because they are on a plot column that neighbours your plots directly (on the horizontal plane), it would, as I understand, connect together, regardless of vertical distance.

(From Explaining Beacons and Settlements post Release 211 )

1 Like

So there is no natural buffer zone?

Good question; don’t know the answer to that, only know that something was mentioned but whether it was implemented or not, I haven’t personally checked on.

I then wonder if surrounding the border with an every 3rd plot perimeter would create a hedge…

If you want a buffer then we will need to implement:

5 Likes

You can however prevent being subsumed into another settlement by creating a guild and assigning your beacon to the guild.
This can even be done after the “attachment fraud” to remove yourself.

1 Like

@james

I have an “inside baseball” question for you. You guys are putting a lot of work into find a solution to the merging issues, but it seems like a lot of the solutions are a bit convoluted.

Can’t you just implement a “Warden Control” system?

Once the settlement gets to, lets say, 250k prestige, the Warden Controls Tab unlocks on the Warden’s primary control beacon. In that tab there would be a menu that looks something like:

Settlement name: [text box here]

Lock Wardenship [ ]

Merging beacons must be approved Y[ ] N[ ]

Do not allowed forced merge Y[ ] N[ ]

That sort of thing. From a layman point of view, it seems like a simpler solution than the things you are proposing.

2 Likes

I like the idea of people being to isolate and not join settlements etc, but wouldn’t it be easier to just allow people to opt their beacon out of adopting the settlement’s name? That way people can do their own thing. Their prestige, however, should still contribute to the “city’s” growth.

2 Likes

In theory you can do this: create a comb-like series of beacons around your claimed area, all of those should be in a state of “bridging two settlements” so even if someone builds just outside it will never be included in your settlement.
Hope that makes sense and actually works, I haven’t tried it. Those additional beacons need to be 1 plot wide and several long, I’m not sure how much is enough, probably 3.

2 Likes

Yeah, you can try to defend your plots but I’d suggest just put your build under a Guild beacon, name the settlement and call it a day.

3 Likes

That would be a more simple solution :joy:

2 Likes