Hey can anyone tell me about combat and adventure in this game?

So ive been trying to find a vaste open sandbox world with fun and interresting adventuring with combat. So wanted to ask what is there in this game other then the big flying castle which apperently requires huge amount of players just to do. Is there any sort of solo/small grp stuff you can do. Like find ruins/lairs and fight some npc with unique loot ?

Boundless Is vast. Very.
Imo it still is quite a stretch to go until it has implemented a quirky and enjoyable combat system. Simply because of the lack of weapons, yet.
But - playability is awesome. And it truly has the foundation to live up to a good ego perspective fighting system.

3 Likes

okay so the content and combat system is still lacking for some nice exploring and fun dungeon stuff to do ?

was hoping this game had something like Terraria with dungeons/lairs or nightime monsters.

2 Likes

It is not a doungeon crawler. If you expect randomly generated ruins and sort of a leveldesign, the only leveldedign that exists, is the one you create via world builder tool, or you the content you pass into the game by building and combinating objects and items.

Not sure how far the approach in fighting and looting titans has evolved. The E3 trailer put up the assumption, that there will or might be such to an extend.

edit - was a trailer for a game convention in paris

Okay thought there would be some content other then a flying city since you had huge worlds and to find out there is nothing in/on them other then materiels is pretty disappointing. Oh well guess this isnt the game for me then. Just odd you would have such big worlds and nothing to do on them other the build and havest :frowning:

Well, it is still in early access. Trading system had to be put up. Quite nice. I agree, exploring an adventurous setting with the ability to gather loot and enhance your char with attributes and items would give the game a more diverse and curious appeal. Although - I don’t know what the devs have in store. Since the basic idea was to make a solid core core concept of the game which is balanced and works fluently.

1 Like

yeah understand just feels insanely empty and pointless atm with the big world. Running through caves upon caves and nothing in them either :confused: Oh well guess ill look at the game again in a year.

1 Like

Sorry to see you go : /

I had the idea for an underground ruin or abandoned temple. With light shining through the openings in the earthen ceiling. Or imagine an underground tree, with flowers blooming around it wherever the light from above touches ground.

1 Like

Sorry to see you go. But I feel like you’ve not been fed all the information available on the matter.

If you’re looking to enjoy a rich combat experience right now. You won’t get it, what we have right now, consists of a slingbow as a weapon and some passive (wild stock, roadrunners) and aggressive creatures (cuttletrunks, spitters, hoppers) with different tiers across the planets and different characteristics. The patterns to gain a fight with them is simple, takes maybe an hour or less to get used to it and don’t find it challenging, unless they’re mobbing on you. Take note that you can hit with whatever tool you have, not as efficient as a slingbow though.

Now, there’s future improvements to be made to the combat and creature system. An additional weapon (lance), elemental damage, defense and healer stats. New creatures: hunters to crawl on caves, Titans and protectors to kill on raids, ground bashers and stone throwers. Also the idea of implementing large worm like creatures, which will appear from the ground, once you kill them. You will be able to loot what has been hidden and protected under them.

In the sense of adventuring, you’ll find yourself exploring different planets and looking at wonderful generated spots of land, and cool builds. Expect more as time passes.

The game is not too combat heavy right now, but i wish you can come back at a later time, to see if it offers something more to your liking, with further development.

6 Likes

The best part of boundless is that you are involved with the creation of this game. The developer’s listen to the view of the players and make decisions based on imput received by the community.
I am also searching for the greatest sandbox game and I think in my own small way I am helping to create it here.
But as Obi-wan Kenobi once sead to the young luke Skywalker “of course you must do what you feel is right”

5 Likes

Thanks for all the info and yeah i hope they keep going at it and hopefully add more to do :slight_smile: i dont hate building but kinda wanna explorer and see what treasures and threats there are and atm its too early for that.

one thing i really hope for they do and really need to is to add more life and stuff to the planets and would really love to find lost civilians. big creatures plauging/roaming a world and night time on some planets having alot of creatures. Hope they make planets unique and not another resource hub as it is atm. Got some nice potential.

3 Likes

Lost civilians is a great idea :smiley: Ancient lore keepers or something like that :slight_smile:

1 Like

I understand where you’re coming from. I actually doubt I’ll play that much longer unless rpg elements are added relatively soon. But I do love the game and the direction it’s going. So I will 100% be keeping up with it, and as soon as there is some stuff to do besides, Explore, Mine, Build, Repeat, I will be back. RPG is what brought me to purchase the game in the first place so I’ll be waiting! (Not at all a bash on the game, I understand fully the stage of development it is in)

5 Likes

What is your opinion about rpg elements? I mean, how would you (roughly) define them? I’m just asking because rpg games have changed a lot and there are also different rpg genres. It is difficult for me to describe, and I would not know how to explain rpg in a relationship to Boundless.

1 Like

I’m looking for a wide variety of things; weapon variety, combat styles, armor/other wearables, larger variety of skill with better balance (woodcutting, fishing, cooking, defense, health, stamina, so on), along with a more defined and rewarding progression system(for skills), more enemies (specifically more difficult enemies), in more places (such as caves, water, lava), along with boss scenarios(team and solo), tons of lore in the world in place of a main quest line (objects, items, locations that piece together the story of the universe). Stuff like that. Also the ability to decorate builds with a very wide variety of aesthetic and usable furnishings. Keep in mind that a lot of these things (in some form or another) are planned to be added and have recently been discussed. But as it stands without those things I find it’s just explore, mine, build, repeat. As someone who tends to play solo, the constant grind for the large amount of resources I need combined with the long crafting times without much variety in between can be unappealing at times. And leveling the other current skills seems to take a huge amount of time compared to mining since all you do is mine. Even splitting the mining skill between mining, woodcutting, and gathering would be a huge improvement to slow down mining experience while allowing you to level more skills from doing what you would normally do already. But like I said, I do love the game and can’t wait to see the planned features implemented!

3 Likes

All of these things, combined with the huge, player driven, sandbox world, would easily make this one of my favorites games in mmos, rpgs, and sandbox genres.

1 Like

Well said! And also very insightful lineup of features you described. Can relate and makes absolute sense :slight_smile:

1 Like

Smooth-Slick you pretty much summed up what im looking for and hoping they would add to make a nice LIVING world :slight_smile:

1 Like