Hey devs awesome job on updates

this

low thousands seem quite obvious to me to be the low side of 1-9k range (below 5k would be a fair guess), while saying low tens of thousands would mean low side of 11-99k range (below 50k most likely);

so saying thousands seems to point at 1-9k bracket
saying low would point to below 5k, but more likely even below 4k (logically you would expect that if someone says low as description of part of wider range, he/she thinks about typical 3-way partitioning into low-medium-high; in our case low would be 1-3/4k, medium is 3/4-5/6k and high is 6/7-9k)

2 Likes

i think i was nearly a year till i got AOE stuff

A post was merged into an existing topic: Moved for moderation

So these unfinished parts on the update due to they don’t have a Cinematic Artist ?

1 Like

LOL you had the same experience I had was building my little sand and dirt house in the middle of no where for a couple days then one day I hear Atoobio! There was Kairoos and Whitlet hooked me up with some tools and grapples. They opened a portal to the EZPZ hub then showed me around a few places. Gave me some caustic chili and then to TNT. I found out what the game really had with malls and fantastic builds etc…

5 Likes

28 posts were merged into an existing topic: Bg3 news ( i still think this should be In General as it has impact on boundless)

The discussion regarding BG3 and Larian has been moved to OT as James stated Boundless is independent of those entities. Therefore, it’s not a Boundless topic.

This topic was automatically opened after 3 hours.

3 lines of wisdom in an ocean.

4 Likes

And the rest of the ocean is made of all the other un-wise things I say all the time?
'cause it would be fair to say. XD
But thanks for saying that. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Is there any way to decouple the meelee/shield update from the private universe update? Most of the drag-downer posts seem to be guffed about not having the meelee/shield stuff and not interested in the private universe part so much, and the latter seems like a huge update worthy of its own.

1 Like

Their normal approach was to pull things that were not working and release the larger update to keep people waiting or try to if they could. Since they didn’t follow through with this for this update then likely it was feasible from a work or some other technical reason.

4 Likes

This makes no sense to me, I fell in love with the game by following the tutorial; people saying “it took me bla bla bla before I could get an AOE” make no sense–what would you have done if you were the first player and had to build up to making the AOE yourself but you wouldn’t even know it was a possibility until starting to forge yourself. That’s how to judge the pace of the game, not zomg I don’t have what that other person has yet,

2 Likes

oh right I forgot the whole update already runs on the test servers, i played it long enough to see the melee & shield, even.

I had a blast with the tutorial. Every day was a new thing and new discoveries. If I had it to easy, I would have lost interest and not stuck with the game as long as I have.

Those who can’t tough it out and learn the in and outs of the game, perhaps we’re better off without them. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Or perhaps if they had stayed we would have enough people playing that the game would actually be generating enough cash to pay for its running cost and maybe even continued development.

5 Likes

Ok, going to put this out here, because why not…

Is there a chance Sony might be willing to pick up all server costs (including the PC players’ as those would be a very small % of total players if they did this) as part of a deal to have Boundless as one of the initial games when Spartacus (Game Pass equivalent - Sony’s own Game Pass, called Spartacus, coming to PS4 and PS5 in 2022 - Polygon ) starts in the spring?

I started Game Pass not too long back, it really is an incredible deal and has me planning to play some games I otherwise wouldn’t. From this - https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-game-pass-is-a-new-paradigm/1100-6498307 - Game Pass is apparently very sustainable, and also, the deals they cut with game devs who join in are all over the place. Sony is going to need to compete with a very established Game Pass now… so they are going to need lots of offerings, with a diverse array of types of games. This is why I think Sony might go for it.It is a $40 game they could offer, a free MMO of a very unique mix of genres. They could be made to understand the game has never had a true ad push and launched before many current features were in place. Covering server costs as part of the compensation a little risky maybe but not a big risk for a company like that, they really need more than anything to get things on there that might encourage people to sign up, which pitched properly Boundless could easily do.

And even if we still lose most players, I think with being on and promoted by that service, still keep enough and get enough new ones trying regularly to have us at a higher average count than we’ve ever had.

13 Likes

That sounds like something that would be great. Fingers crossed!

5 Likes

I don’t know if Sony would want a game with no current development :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

My thought is, at least if I were Sony, I’d be wanting to get as much volume and diversity of games on there as I can and hit lots of niches. Someone looking at maybe subscribing, when comparing it to the over 100 or so on Game Pass now, they probably aren’t going to look TOO deep at offerings they aren’t familiar with… my feeling is they will want to see that it is at least somewhat in the ballpark of GP (so having 100 rather than 40 or 50 will help a lot) and stuff that looks intriguing at a glance.

This is sort of what I did when looking at Game Pass. And the thing here is, there is going to I think be far less “buyer’s remorse” with something like this if a game doesn’t click with someone… just move on to the next one; I could be wrong but one not spending to play it specifically (getting it as part of a very large package) who don’t like it, probably less likely to bash it online. Like with GP, first game I downloaded was Craftopia. I don’t like to be mean/negative with games, but while I didn’t give it much time (I might do more later) and mechanics seemed ok at the outset, it left a bad first impression by the awful quality of the translation - like it was run through Google translate. But since it was something I got on GP, I’m like, haha… well, ok, put that one in the pile!

Boundless is very fun and complete as it is even though things like the NPE do need work if they want to aim for a higher retention rate; enough at least to give ones who come in and stick with it past the tutorial enough time where they’ll like that it came with Spartacus I think and give Sony reason to stick with it even if development is halted. And if Sony does this (from link I posted) -

The devs here could show Sony the number of hours some of the players play. That while it might not keep a high % having this game will fill a needed niche for the service and the ones who do stick with it might well put in 1000s.

Edit: Put another way, I think Sony needs to do everything it can to have a really great offering when they go Live with this… even if some games might be INDIVIDUALLY perhaps not really profitable for them, they have to look at the bigger picture, making the deal overall as good as possible by the numbers for people tempted to subscribe.

Flip side though: Going in with this might pull in too many people; 80 person planet cap could cause issues. Hard to predict how many people will sign up for it and of those, how many will download it, and how soon they’ll fire it up. But I think it is worth the risk, especially at this point.

1 Like