Hi, I'm newish to the game

I backed this game back in 2015 when everyone was orange rectangles gliding around, but I haven’t played since then…until now.

So as a re-newby, I do have alot of questions since the game has changed.

Firstly, where on earth do I get coal? I keep mining but only have hit stone.

And secondly what are coins used for?

hello there:) kinda same as you got back after being a backer back in time;

coins will help you do warps between locations in the world and also buy some stuff from players who already have a lot and have shops open

dont just mine anywhere - roam around first - go through a few different climates on your planet, be it icy mountains or marshes or dessert and stuff; you will find a lot of places like really steep mountains that will have resources visible on the sides (coal, iron, copper, fossil, tech fragments) - start there and dig in; thats the easiest way and will save you a lot of time of grinding through stripping entire planet block by block;)

also look into the caves you go past - try not to fall in just grab a torch and look inside if its a night (during the day sun will get enough in the caves) - if you see resources on walls of caves get in and start digging; if not dont bother and keep looking around;

Hello and welcome back.

Coal is everywhere. There is no said location that it will be all the time. You just have to keep digging you will find it soon. Try a mountain