How big are the worlds?

The players who got sick were only this people, who never get out of town, cause they never look further than 2 km (If its down the shopping mile) ^^

Okay joke aside:
If you can bring it in I’d like to see it, but it isn’t importand for now, maybe after 1.0. Still I think it would feel wired if you do see the World as a flat one and move in one direction until you see your own building again. That would make me feel sick much more because thats tooo unnatural for me tho.
But yeah, as said, no need for now, complete the game to a point where we can play it as whole game first. ^^

1 Like

I am excited to hear that we are going to have wrapped worlds, it will defiantly make the worlds feel like a world.

I have kind of an odd question, will the worlds have poles? I mean according to the compass at which point are you heading south instead north? If the world is just wrapped is the south and north poles the same point? I hope I am making sense here. East and West don’t have the same problem cause they are just left or right according to the poles. Any way I guess it is all just a matter of perspective.

There wouldn’t be any ‘poles’ so to speak as the worlds will not be spheres, they will be ‘asteroids style’ wrapping. If you like, you can imagine the ‘north pole’ as spanning the same width as the horizon and ‘south’ pole. This is sometimes referred to as toroidal wrapping (donut) but I don’t particularly like that as it implies the world is actually shaped like a donut which it isn’t, it’s still perfectly flat.

Oh I thought you did a spherical wrapping…

Unfortunately you cannot tile a sphere with squares :slight_smile:

1 Like

Technically speaking the worlds will be wrapped as tori. This is what happens when you take a plane and connect the right/left sides and top/bottom sides as pairs.

With this wrapping you can walk north and arrive back at your starting point from the south, and walk east and arrive back from the west.

To most players this will feel like a planet. But it will not have a single north or south pole. (A torus has a north and south circle - which is waaaay cooler.)

A standard compass will work as expected. Actually it’ll be a little more helpful as it’ll not be undefined at the circle pole. (Is that what it’s called?)

Creating worlds like this is just really simple. If we were to attempt true spherical voxel worlds then the math can get pretty funky - for little player gain.

1 Like

Unless they’re really really small!! And I mean in the limit small.

1 Like

Actually a compass will still be undefined at the poles in terms of north/south, though east/west will remain well-defined.

What’s more fun than a circle north/south pole is that a toroidal world technically would have 2 equators (an inner and outer one).

2 Likes

@lucadeltodecso @james First I just had to laugh at both of your comments^^ (positiv laughing^^)

And yes I really like toroidal worlds even more than spherical. Although it will not really feel like a torus because we can not see across the inner hole^^

Btw I would have thought luca could do such a funky math with ease^^

3 Likes

Think mine was better… for sure. :clap:

1 Like

Well I liked the math joke^^

1 Like

Things just got real mathematic

2 Likes

But what if you COULD see across the inner ring? like a HALO style world where you can see the ground curving up into the sky. That would be sexy as anything.

1 Like

That would break the spherical illusion though. Cool concept, but not thematic to the game.

1 Like

I know that I am probably thinking about this too hard but If you had the compass switch from pointing north to pointing south after you cross the northern pole ring and vise versa on the southern pole ring. I think it would make the worlds feel more spiracle to the player even though the would still be a torus.

So the outer equator would be the the mid line of the world.
The north pole would be halfway up from there.
The south pole would be halfway down from there.
And the inner equator would be the where the top and bottom meet.

However, I think from the players perspective it would seem like a round world.

It would just be weird that the compass would switch between pointing north and south^^ Or could you explain what you meant with that?

It would break the spherical illusion but that doesn’t mean its not thematic to the game. Why not have some worlds that are in fact tori?
Although the worlds wouldn’t feel any different from the normal spherical worlds apart from seeing across the gap. So that could be a bummer. But apart from that I see no reason to not have such a cool planet shape^^

Yeah never mind as, I think more about it, it would be weird. The only way to get to the inner ring would be to cross a pole ring.

I don’t think it’s any different to what would happen at a spherical pole.