How I learned to stop worrying about the future of the game

here’s the reason why and my personal perspective:

if Square Enix was able to save Battalion 1944 from its ever shrinking player-base_(the damn thing was in the double digits when it came to player count during its early access period and now there is a constant 2k+ players playing everyday)_ then I don’t think we should be worried about Boundless not gathering and retaining more players in the future… There is a reason why Wonderstruck doesn’t seem to be worried about the future of their game, they know things we probably don’t, sometimes you simply can’t share some things with your players despite your will to do so, because these things are probably meant for insiders only, and more often than not, these pieces of informations simply can’t be shared at that time. Battalion was on the verge of collapsing and yet, out of seemingly no where trailers and articles talking about the game’s imminent launch started to be published all over the place with streamers like shroud playing the game again and having a blast with it, and then E3 happened which brought EVEN more players into the game.

Now here’s a small theory of mine, but keep in mind that these are pure SPECULATIONS ! and are only based on my personal interpretation:

This year, Gamescom is hosting its own live show, it will be hosted by Geoff Keighley, which is known for hosting and creating The Game Awards, with what I said above, maybe the devs have something in preparation, maybe just maybe, they have something in the pipelines that we don’t know about, and this thing could very well be revealed at this year’s gamescom live show, now. Like I said, this is PURE speculation, I have nothing to back these claims so don’t take them as facts, but this year’s gamescom could very well be a good moment to start throwing marketing around, just like they did with Battalion 1944.

Anyway, this is my optimistic perspective, please if you can, refrain from being too negative in the comments, unless this is something the devs can actually use as feedback, keep these for yourself and throw them around if and only if the game really end up badly (Which I believe it absolutely won’t. Again, look at how Battalion came back from its every shrinking player-base Oblivion)

5 Likes

I played when there were 9 online players at once and when there were 3000. For me it was no different experience. Game population is a factor that makes players trust in the game’s future. But on the other hand engagement of the devs is much more valuable and they seem to keep working hard :sunglasses:

5 Likes

1 or 600 ppl I dont care. im always alone anyways

1 Like

Good points… I agree Boundless will grow and become a large community in time

1 Like

Didn’t you yesterday write how you were worried about the game state?

1 Like

yep, twas me, changed my mind on the matter haha

1 Like

I think Boundless is one of them games you keep playing or take a short break and come back to and your still welcomed into the community as though you never left…unless it’s been so long your buildings have gone puff in a cloud of smoke :joy:

1 Like

I feel pretty optimistic. The lack of advertisment for Boundless is interesting. It makes me inclined to think that the developers have genuine confidence in their product. That they know, in time, this game will grow. This is already a quality game, it is fun, it has a sense of community and a willingness to help each other out, graphics are beautiful and there is interaction between the devs and gamers. I personally have never seen that kind of interaction before. This is already worthy of heavy advertising. So, my thoughts are that they want to build it with as little pressure as possible. Heck, we have seen how this forum can get with the impatience for new stuff and updates! Lol. Imagine if there were thousands more of us! Deary me! :joy: Slowly, slowly kick a monkey, or whatever that phrase is…:rofl:

4 Likes

Monkey see, monkey do. You are welcome

1 Like

And also, to add a bit more to why I think it will be fine… let’s not forget that Square Enix invested quite a bit of money and resources into Boundless, most of it will likely go and probably already went into PR, QA, marketing etc, so even if Square are only helping Wonderstruck by giving them advices and spreading awareness about Boundless, they still have invested money and resources, and like any companies or businesses, they want this investment to be worth it, the collective is not a charity after all, so even though we haven’t seen much marketing as of yet, I’m pretty sure that both Square Enix and Wonderstruck won’t let the game be a “failure” without at least trying to push a very good amount of marketing Because again… they want this investment to be worth it, no companies or even collectives likes to loose money, especially not when they could’ve easily prevented this loss.

just because there is “problems” like these doesn’t mean that there is no money poured into QA team… Square Enix said in a interview they are supplying a QA team to the project they are interested in, just because you are not seeing their work from your own eyes doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. no matter how hard you try, there will be problems, and sometimes these are persistent problems.

Besides, the blue screen thing is most likely due to a problem with some people’s PS4 because I very much doubt that “copies” would be the only cause of the blue screens, it’s about the hardware it’s on, not the copy. again, being pessimistic or negative won’t bring anything good to the table imo, except for certain rare cases.

keep in mind that I’m not here to change your perspective my guy, but again, these are small mistakes and most of the time you can’t know if there is a problem for sure until you post it on the live branch and your players tells you about it, QA teams are composed of humans like you and me, and they are most likely only a small group of people that can’t possibly spot every single problems, that’s why so many games are using their community to test their game out, the more people are testing, the easier and quicker you can find small problems like these.

But anyway, keep you point of view, I’m not trying to change it, just keep in mind that most people here are optimistic and frankly… it’s way better this way

Unless they didn’t hit the bug. I didn’t crash once after the farming update and I play daily. A QA team does not mean that no issues are going to arise.

1 Like

I don’t worry. The claw will chose which game will go and which game will stay.

The%20claw

5 Likes

2 Likes

Still reckon we’re just the testing pioneers, forefathers/mothers ironing out the bugs for bigger things

1 Like