How is Luck Supposed to Work?

Erm. My crafter has also picked up multiple green orbs and lamela from the fungi. Based on my notes, the drop rate difference between my high luck miner/crafter and my base luck only crafter is within 10% (with a +/- 3-4% error allowance). So at best my 8+ points I’ve put into my miner gather have made a 14% difference. Thats pretty underwhelming considering the point investment. Hunter drops vary so wildly its hard to nail down a set drop rate, but with my crafter I’ve had a creature drop 7 pieces of loot from a stout. My notes show that my high luck hunter has also not exceeded 7 pieces at once. So while I understand you may feel it makes a difference, I do not feel its currently worth the point investment compared to other stats.

Edit: This is assuming luck is working the way its intended currently. If its supposed to be fixed later, I’ll change my opinion, but til then I’m unhappy with the return on the number of points invested.

I don’t have different miner and gatherer characters. I perceive that luck is working, based on how little loot I get from level 0-1 planets, and how much I get from level 5+ planets. That’s all.

Can you look into your notes and tell how does it looks when you process results per planet level?

Surface resources drop the same, as of the tier 5 planets, between my three characters. Almost zero variation between them. Hunting drops only vary in what they drop and even then only on the elemental worlds where I get a shard or two (which luck appears to have no effect on, between my gatherer and hunter with 100 and 70 luck respectively). My crafter does not go to higher tier worlds but gets the same numer of drops.

Again, for the points invested, its not great. Frankly the more I review my notes on the drops between my three characters, the more convinced I am of that

1 Like

Yes im on the same page as telriche about spending 8pts to luck . Just too much if you compare what you get with that.
Also surface resources are affected by gathering epic that gives you 1 resources more always from plants and such

I have no detailef notes on this, but what I wrote about gems is true. I definitely get more sap per wood with luck. I think I get more loot from creatures. But it’s when compared no luck to eight luck. So you may be right, and the difference is too low between each point.

Shouldn’t need to invest 5 additional points for something that luck should do. I’d personally get it anyway to use those surface resources as decoration, but still. Luck is currently a big let down for me. Doesn’t do enough compared to almost all the other stats.

1 Like

Luck applies on certain resources. Higher level trees has a chance to drop bark. And luck applies to that. Higher level mobs has chance to drop trophys. Higher level rock has a chance to drop fragments and so on

1 Like

The way I understood it is that luck only applies to rare drops.
Like Buugi said for trees, sap being the normal drop and bark being the rare drop.

Gem seams for example have a second gem drop from the same seam as a rare drop.
With maximum luck, you will always get that second gem.

3 Likes

How is luck supposed to work?
Luck provides an increased chance of a ‘rare’ drop. 2+ drops of a base item is counted as a rare drop, as are leaves from foliage, sap from trunks, and fragments from rock. The loot tables depend on the world, so things will scale differently on different worlds.

Does luck work at all?
Yes. The extra sap from tree trunks is the easiest way to verify that luck is doing something. I have done this test before on tier 0 worlds with and without luck. The increase isn’t tremendous, but from 4 points of luck I gathered more sap. I don’t have the exact numbers, but it was something like 0.15 sap per trunk on 0, and 0.20 sap per trunk on 4 luck. This was over the course of 400 trunks under both conditions.

Is luck worth the investment?
I can’t answer this for you. It is a lot of points. With 4 points in luck I average just under 2 rough gems per gem vein on tier 5 worlds. I don’t know how well people do with 0 luck. Extra sap/bones/orbs are helpful, but they don’t jump out at you. There isn’t some mystical drop that you can only get with luck, you just get subtly more more often over the course of 100’s of objects.

The best possible drop is the same both with and without luck. You just get it more often with luck than without.

3 Likes

Thx for the details, @bubbathegoat

Do you also know how the Gathering Epic works (besides the cosmetic component) and how it interacts with luck?
Does it stack with luck? Or is it a waste of skill points when you have max luck?

Gathering epic is luck on steroids for plants and boulders. It imho gives you more than luck cause it makes plants give always all or nearly all possible resources. With some plants being scares as hell this is the best way to stock up quicker.

5 Likes

The gathering epic I haven’t tried to analyze as closely. I’d love to look at a few possibilities:
0-luck, 0-gathering
0-luck, 1-gathering
4-luck, 0-gathering
8-luck, 0-gathering
4-luck, 1-gathering
8-luck, 1-gathering

This would test the effect of luck at two levels and gathering independently, and also tell us if there is a ‘saturation effect’ where there is som cap on total drops or a limit to the upper end of the loot table that creates diminishing returns on later skill point spends in these areas.

1 Like

Also, you have to do it on high enough level of a plant. I bet results will differ between lvl 0 and ie. lvl 5

I agree, but this doubles the number of dat sets, and depending on the type of resource targeted, (e.g. stout wildstock, desert sword plants) it May much more than double the time required to gather this data.

But on low level planets luck is not working to its full potential. Remember how it was in Early Access?

I see a lot of people assuming the luck is not working because in beta we would get 1-5 gems/ore from a single block. I felt this was a little too random and overkill for certain higher level materials. I didn’t feel like getting 4 diamond a block was reasonable.

Now the worlds Tier system means a lot. For example I have never gotten 3 diamonds from our current blast world at tier 5 but have gotten 3 rubies from our Tier 6 world. I only get 2 copper from beginner planets and get 4-5 on higher planets. I think the luck has been scaled for fairness and has always been working properly but people assumed it would be like it was in the past.

Mob drops say a lot about how well luck works, you wont see 9 items falling to the ground without luck. I haven’t extensively tested but in my experience I have been satisfied with luck from day one.

Edit: With gathering epic I noticed I would get 3’s when mining for saltpeter and shimmering orbs though this was not everytime.

1 Like

This was discussed a few weeks ago actually, and above was Steggs’s explanation of how luck works.

1 Like

Does gathering epic work on low level planets (t1 and t2)?

I’ve been collecting data with trying to get more bark. And my alt with luck 5 (no gathering epic):

• Cut 200 trunks with 14 bark. Also yielded 31 saps. This on a T3 planet

Moving to a t1,

• Cut 100 trunks and got 0 bark. 25 saps

Feels like it’s gone too far the other way to me. Just another process in which more time is needed now.

From what I know bark drops only from lvl3+, same as gems from lvl5+

1 Like