How Strong is AoE?

How about this instead of 3x3 nerf? A craftable battering ram helmet that lets you run straight through rock head first as fast as your agility will let you

No? Ok :pensive:

1 Like

Oh perfect new weapon to duel wildstock, may the strongest ram win!

4 Likes

Hahaha that would be hilarious. Iā€™ve always wanted to pay those wildstock back in ways other than taunting them off of very high cliffs

Iā€™ll toss my two cents in here. Not everyone has 40+ hours to play this game. I think we need to stop trying to make the game harder for people with lives. Making it harder for casual players to farm just puts us deeper in the whole and gives the folks who live their entire lives in game a dwindling playerbase as the casuals leave.

Currently this game gets less and less of my free time as they change the game to become more of a grindfest to do the same things we have done for months. Its getting to the point that if you are a casual player and want to build more than a few plot house, you will be looking at weeks or months of farming to get it done. Seems excessive to me, so Iā€™m not surprised we canā€™t keep people interested fulltime. This will become like minecraft where people binge it for a few weeks between other games.

4 Likes

With the charge shot approach there might not be a need for the damage debuff on AoE anymore, depending on what the devsā€™ intention with that was. So it might be even easier to forge viable AoE hammers since you donā€™t need other boons to also line up. Less RNG needed to forge them.

Iā€™m not in favor of straight nerfs Iā€™m in favor of more consistent and more accessible AoE by trading off some of the other less important advantages like dig speed.

Yes but changes ive seen lately always seem to make it easier for newer players and more difficult for vets.

I get that, but changing how AoE tools work and how effective they are for the current players is really not going to make the few players that are left happy.

If you want a ā€˜betterā€™ game for new players who, letā€™s face it, are not actually coming, so be it, but I will be off playing something else when this sorta thing happensā€¦

Charge shots means it will take longer to mine and hence it is a nerf. Nope, no wayā€¦

At this moment this game doesnā€™t need something changed so drastically to alienate existing players, this game needs more content, and it needs it fast. It also needs a lot of QoL fixes AND needs to somehow attract new players, preferably a lot of them.

Nerfing things that current players like and will miss is not going to do anything to make this game look more appealing to new players, if all the high level players have left there is no one to compare themselves to anymore anywayā€¦

1 Like

This would make mining a lot more RSI-inducing. I would start scripting the mouse button down/up events if this became a thing.

2 Likes

I am personally tired of trying to converse against the headwinds of whining, threats of quitting, and logic hoops players will jump through to shut down discussion. If you want my opinion I think this behavior is greedy and selfish and actively hurts the game for all players.

No one has addressed my data directly to show a counter argument that AoE scaling isnā€™t broken. About the closest weā€™ve come is discussing block defense which means BPS might be a better balance framework than DPS. I agree and would like to see that data.

But Iā€™m not willing to put in the work to move the data in that direction because if I do I wonā€™t get a rational debate, Iā€™ll get players who want to keep mining entire mountains until they have 6000 of every material posting about how theyā€™ll quit the game or get an RSI.

If anyone wants to copy the data set and work on BPS I can give you gdoc permissions to do so.

3 Likes

Regardless of what players think of your suggestion the devs have final say and they read the forums so theyā€™ll most likely see your post. Their decisions are always based on the data.

I hope they dont, already see the nerfbat swinging.

Anyhow who cares if mountains become craters, its just a game. And finding the gems, ore you need faster will make it more fun.

2 Likes

Have you had a bad day?

I understand your frustration but player experience is another metric. Not everything should be data driven. Data informs good decision making, not dominates it.

Besides, some RSI whiners with ruined wrists from long, careless dev careers might have also said they were fine with changes if other efficient paths through difficult progression phases were available. :wink:

1 Like

Open to discussion, strongly opposed to nerfs. Thatā€™s where I stand lol. I was doing the math weeks ago about how many blocks are revealed per wing with hammers, chisels, AoE hammers etc.

You see something as broken when others donā€™t. Its not a big deal. None if us get to decide on a course of action. There is no arguement to win. The devs look at all of the posts and make their own decisions.

2 Likes

While player experience is important, ā€œIā€™ll quit if you make a balance change I donā€™t likeā€ is just holding the conversation hostage and stamping your feet. Those same players, if they said ā€œI find 3x3 mining to be a fun experience and believe the game would be diminished if it were removedā€ would actually be providing good feedback instead of tilting at windmills.

Broadly speaking, 3x3 Hammers exist on one end of a spectrum, and I would argue that ā€œA healthy economyā€ sits on the other end of that spectrum. When pretty much everyone can dig out giant swaths of land, nothing they generate can have any sustained value. We are seeing that now with Power Coils having lost something like 85% of their value over the past 2.5 months (granted, some of that is related to footfall deflation, but Iā€™d argue a good chunk is simply due to over-supply). I personally donā€™t mind this, but as players we canā€™t have both 3x3 hammers as common as dirt AND a thriving economy where players can sell their mining-derivative items at a premium. Also, at some point we butt up to the hard cap of 1c as a selling price. If there were fractional c in the game right now, rock (for example) wold probably be something like .2c each. Rock hitting that doensā€™t matter too much, but itā€™s only a matter of time until gems and ore are there, too.

2 Likes

Iā€™d argue itā€™s fewer players and lack of demand too. I have my coils. I donā€™t need any more until higher tier materials come out and I have more demanding recipes. So Iā€™m no longer a buyer. By now many will be in the same boat. Like Iā€™ve said before, these prices are closer to EA prices, which also featured relatively low numbers of players far down their personal progression. I think prices coming down like this was going to happen whether we had 3x3 or 1x3. Itā€™s just a matter of differing time before you can achieve the same market saturation, player progression, whatever.

Yes, people stamping feet is unproductive. Sometimes it obscures otherwise good points in posts though so I try to be tolerant.

4 Likes

The main argument of the thesis is ā€œAoE is the bestā€ right? Is this piece implying that new players canā€™t farm because experienced players have AoE boons?

1 Like

New players are of course free to farm anything they want to, with whatever tools they want to/have available. But because there is nothing they can farm, in the context of where 3x3 is useful, that the economy as a whole doesnā€™t farm at 6-9x the speed of the new player, the new playerā€™s ability to participate in that economy is greatly diminished.

Monster hunting and plant farming could always use rewards for more skillful playstyle. Perhaps monsters killed with the least amount of overkill could have significantly increased chances to drop trophies. Same with plants - extra drops for minimal overkill. People would then plan harvesting builds around tools that cause just the right amount of damage instead of just ā€œDiamond axe, RAAAAWR!ā€ at everything.

Someone did say the other aoe should be brought up to make the difference between them not so drastic. Maybe you missed that one.

Off topic note. I feel like thereā€™s a few people on the forms that just want to watch the world burn so to speak.

1 Like