How to fill a pool with still water?

Give me temp perms and I’ll come fill that sucker for ya :wink: top layer only is needed, but you’ll need the whole top layer yup ^^

2 Likes

Anyone else notice that water above ‘sea level’ always has that moving water texture and doesn’t look still?

Only going one block higher than the game’s own water level changes how it looks. Here I tested it to show @NerArth :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you want to really fill it, block for block layer by layer.
Or just the top layer.

If you like i have a full stand with water @0.5c and if its out i have a lot more. Anterra Central accessible via lamblis hubs ps,ult,hubbit and dks tree.

Made a note of that after farming update. Why only sea lvl water is clear. And above and below has color. Have a lot of blue still water in my build now.

What about the chiseling in the pool? You have to do the sides to had to do it in my build so i just did layer by layer because of the chisel work.

I’m on mobile, didn’t see the screenshot, last time i saw the pool it was still smooth. Will def need to cover both tops and bottoms of the chiseled areas. But I’m a dedicated pool man :yum:

1 Like

Just make sure every block is filled. That will stop it from moving.

Get a decent kink free garden hose. Make sure the length is sufficient to reach the pool you are filling. Note that if you need to go farther than 200ft this will take a long time as the pressure loss in the hose is quite measurable. Once you have the hose connected to an outdoor spigot (preferably one that bypasses your water softener and filtration) put the open end into the pool. You may have to weight it down to keep it from moving around once the water is on. …
Then simply turn the water on and periodically check the level in the pool so as to prevent over flowing. If you happen to overflow, let me know and i can hook you up with a liquid breaker.

1 Like

It’s been stated elsewhere that each planet has a natural “water level”, if you will. The texture is different for blocks at that level, being the still texture you find in the wild

This is due to the way we do reflections. At the moment we do reflections by inverting the camera through the water plane and then redrawing the scene. This is not particularly cheap CPU or GPU wise so we only do it at sea level since that is where most of the water is. Doing it for multiple water levels would require us to redraw the whole scene for each height of water. So, if the water is not at sea level you won’t get reflections.

In the future we may add screen space reflections which uses what you can already see to guess at what the reflection would look like. This is much quicker but doesn’t look as good because anything in the reflection you cannot already see will be missing.

11 Likes

given i have never placed a single water block yet in my day, im pretty confident now in filling this pool.

You guys are the best!

i am invested in an entirely non-flowing pool since it will be visible from underneath and the sides. although i am VERY happy to hear water can be placed neatly on itself. This just forces me to have to place an ungodly amount of water. @Prome3us would you still like to help me place 50,000 water blocks?

but seriously guys thanks for filling me in with all of the water bending knowledge, i will be ready to start filling as soon as i am home today!

1 Like

My place can be found through EXO Select portals, you can find one in the top SE corner of TNT Megahub, PS Lamblis, or Jaceys Mall c: have a look around its my pride and joy!

So you’re telling me that basically on PS4 you could make the water every where the same since there are no reflections of the scenery anyway? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Just teasing! :smiley:

1 Like

I know it would be a lot of work but I would just fill it up 1 block at a time. Basically start at the bottom and work your way around filling in each block. Then move up to the next level and repeat. It is not too hard to do if you take your time and clearly watch for the little green box that you see when you try to place a block of water. I have filled in a 5 level deep medium pond so I know it can be done. I think it looks great.

I know that Luca said there is no physics interaction and that if you put the water on the top level things would be fine. But, I would never assume that there might not come a time when that must change.

Plus I always felt that flowing water effect didn’t look right in a pool like this.

The ps4 doesnt reflect the terrain, but does still reflect the planets and sky, so not quite

Ignoring any possible physics changes in future, you could save a lot of time still by only placing liquid around the sides and top, if you place source blocks to fill in the ‘walls’ then you wont get flowing texture on the sides, and bottoms of liquids flowing down wont have flowing textures either.

7 Likes

I have an alt for that. we feed him bomb buffs, he makes beeeg holes or beeg walls nice and fast. Step one though, collecting a bit of water…

Lol I know it’s why I had chosen my words carefully and like I said was just teasing you devs! :slight_smile:

That’s a lot of water blocks Urban-chan

Please do.