How to match colors?

Heeeello everyone!

Today I was wondering what would be the easiest way to match colors. I mean, how did people know the closest color to gold is “vivid mustard”? I am trying to match the different crops with their closest soil colors (to plant each crop in a similar colored soil) without going insane trying out all the colors one by one :grin:.

1 Like

well im using this chart, but in general im looking at color in RL i want in game and trying to get closest from chest just looking at it, and trying to find closest my eye could pick

3 Likes

I usually take a reference color. Either from a screenshot or by picking a color I would like in a painting program. For example gold
gold

Then I go to Boundlexx - The Boundless Lexicon to check for close colors. In this case there are 3 good candidates. Also take a bit darker color as they appear brigther ingame.
Colors

Alternative without external applications:
Take the block and run with it through a shop that displays all colors and get the closest matches.

Then I get the colored blocks ingame. Either by spraying them, pulling from gleambow storage or if it is hard to get take a similar block.
Place the blocks and see what looks / matches best.

1 Like

When you want to check for metal/gems matching color, one way is to put down a campfire and place the blocks you want to know what color matches to them (according to the game anyway I guess). When it becomes ashes then they will turn to a color. That should help you come down with a similar color.

But I do not know if the crops get changed to ash when reclaimed or if the space just becomes air…

5 Likes

This chart makes it easier. I had a color list but that one required the user to scroll up and down so this makes it easier to view all colors at the same time. Thanks!

1 Like

I thought of this but as you mentioned, colors do look a bit different.

Haha might actually end up doing this xD. Thanks for your input!

1 Like

How come I didn’t think of the reclaiming/ash method! Will try with planted crops and report back here! Thank youuu!

1 Like

This is what should happen to your crops, though.

2 Likes

Aaah I did try to plant some crops. Was waiting for them to mature before reclaiming. Thanks for the info though. Will have to find the colors the hard way it seems :man_facepalming::sweat_smile:

1 Like

No but that’s not the point. The question is will the growing crops become ash or just disappear

Crops do not ash just the soils

2 Likes

As @Wondernut said only solid blocks and objects are replaced by ash (objects like signs have a chance of not generating ash when reclaimed).

If you can walk trough it, it just gets picked up.
Like plants and liquids.

Also original blocks that didn’t get manually placed there don’t get picked up. (Meteors and lollipop ice are not original block so they can be picked up by reclaim.)

Just to add - lighting also makes a big difference to how those colours look in any environment. Play around with different shades of gleam lighting to tweak the look you’re after.

2 Likes

For that reason I mostly use white. It is easier on the eyes too :grin:

1 Like

White is my favourite colour :slight_smile:

1 Like