How will modding work?

This is pretty much as I described it. (Somewhere…)

Have you guys already thought about the general architecture of the mods ?
I’m trying to think what would be the best way to make an easy API to allow modders to change everything, and I’d like to know if you have already planned something.

Oh yes - lots. We need to make sure the game is made in a way that enables modding. It’s not something we want to retrofit into the game. We’ll post more technical details in the future.

2 Likes

hope I am not necroing a post here but I would love the ability to make a server where my friends/family and I are alone together and not connected to the rest of the players. In the past having played Minecraft and other games like cube world I am used to the idea of servers like this where one server might have a 10-100+ people and then there is my server with 4 maybe 5 people and that would be awesome, even if the worlds were infinite I would still like the ability of doing it solo or with my friends/family on my own server either renting which would kinda suck but hey w/e OR just the ability to create it.

but you can’t play the game without going on other servers…

I think creating or renting a server just for me and my friends to play on sounds awesome too. I’m pretty sure this has been discussed before and I believe is being considered if not planned.

1 Like

I hope so, I mean I hate to say it but I hate people… I have friends and family but I don’t trust other people and I just want to play with them in an awesome game.

It is planned to be able to rent worlds and/or host own servers. The rented ones CAN be connected to the main universe but don’t have to (only open for people you want there :wink: )

So yeah, you may play also only with your friends :wink:

@Mistle and @DarkRepulsor - this is absolutely possible and coming.

There have been a few posts about it in the past. But we definitely want to allow independent groups to have their own world (connected or disconnected) from the main MMO.

but every world has different resources. how will they be able to get resources that arent on their world? and how will they be able to go to other tiers without hosting other servers?
please enlighten me @james

If players want an independent experience - there is no issue with creating worlds that contain all required resources.

1 Like

Or just hosting more than one world on their computer :smiley:

and the problem with tiers? its actually a pretty good question.

1 Like

fantastic! I look forward to this option and would be glad to purchase this wonderful game if you do happen to add sucha feature :D.

This really depends how the tiers translate into the final game. Clearly if you choose to play fully on your own world (or a single world) - then 1. this should be completely possible, but 2. you’ll miss out on some of the features that are intrinsically linked to playing across multiple worlds. But if the tiers ultimately come down to “world difficulty” then maybe you’re happy not venturing beyond your home.

I think the important thing is to make sure we’re delivering a game that works for players who want an MMO and for players who want a more independent or personal experience. And I don’t really see why this isn’t possible.

You once said that you would be able to link your world to the existing ones, with no limits as a “locked” inventory as long as the world hits the standart parameters (normal distribution of ores and rare mats). That’s something people should keep in mind.

So you can have your own world for you and friends to play and build a base on, but also can roam other worlds for seeking titans or other mats (want timber or gleam in another color?), just to bring them back to your home, where only you and your friends can go.

That’s something which fascinates me and gives good room for freedom of the people’s desires :wink:

1 Like

Wasn’t that only for servers wonderstruck hosted for people? As that removed the possibility of cheating.

1 Like

yepp, of cause. local hosted servers should not be able to connect out of different reasons (cheating at most :wink: )

2 Likes

James is this still a planned feature.

2 Likes