How would backers feel about a ‘fan package’ for current players:

I preordered it too but i can only craft the Golden fist oO

Hmm that’s strange. I’ll double check after this demo event is done. Tho it might be awhile :sweat_smile: Lots of blocks placed. Tho I believe in these Oortian brothers n sisters of mine!

1 Like

Yes, please do that - I would be very interested! Otherwise, I have to turn to the Devs or Sony!

I am with you on this for a cubits bonus instead of plot bonus. We have get a plot bonus because cubits was not implemented yet into the game. So for me atm a cubit bonus would make more sense.

And having different tier of supported pack would be good. but i think things like dev calls, make a planet etc should stay as a backer tier and not being added to these “new” package.

But at the same time it would still make a gap between founder and supporter about plot acquisition , even worst with someone not buying package at all. As long as there is no bonus being a Warden. this does not really matter.

I think we should not limit this type of plot bonus to only the backers and have it available to every people who are passionate about the game. After all we all need plots to make amazing builds, cities development, creativity.

If the players is willing to add the money it should be way more than the 25% mentioned that could be accessible.

Whatever is decided around this you have my go as a backer and make this game what it’s supposed to be Boundless.

2 Likes

They seriously need make game free and enhance the shop dramatically sell blueprints for different items.example diamond fist. Or armor clothing. They really could do so much more with a decent game shop.make more money.

I can craft both fists (pc, steam, dde purchased in october).

I think I am going to request a run of wayfarers soon but I’m eager for a new tier. We have two entire gear classes above titanium now. I DO hope there is an upgrade package or something besides an “account type” associated with future perks because to be honest I would be SUPER UNHAPPY if it required a separate account purchase.

This is normal, though. Most games that i have seen or watched with early backers and supporter packages include perks which are later surpassed in the game. They were promised a unique item and at the time of release it was one of the most useful/powerful items in the game. As long as they have the same access as any other player to future packages or perks, there is nothing unfair or offensive about this.

Of course most people are trying to get at a plot bonus. I don’t see anybody here clamoring for a digital art book or t-shirts. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

A 25% plot bonus would drop about $170 worth of plots on my account instantly. And I’ve not even been trying hard to get plots. I personally know several players that would probably receive near or (well) over $1000 worth of plots instantly if this was made available.

I have to be honest it’s a bad move. Selling access to exclusive weapons specifically is something bluntly P2W as well, and that seems to cause a huge uproar here. But I’m all for it.

I’m going to be more honest than most and admit that if I had seen boundless in pre-release, I wouldn’t have backed it. The prior two softwares (one a game and one not) that i did support pre-release never made it to ‘release’ at all. Boundless was not something familiar in terms of genre or style really, and I don’t think I would have gone out on a limb for it.

I opened a steam account to purchase boundless, and have no other steam games at this time. The purchase was less than I would have spent at another game which I was super frustrated with due to issues of community and development direction, and it was recently released so I took a chance.

As I dug deeper i was really put off by the fact that this “brand new” game already had an entire cadre of bored and bitter old timers and most of the community issues of a mature game, and avoided the forum and community for almost 2 months. I never expected to fall in love with this game.

Anyways the game can’t stagnate forever so eventually we move past things like the iron fist or the wayfarer’s totem, and that’s healthy. But as for “free land” or perks which continue to multiply or stack in monetary or gameplay value it’s both unnecessary and undesirable.

Those purchases were a (huge in some cases) gamble. The team and the game made it to release, at least, and that’s more than many have. So they paid off - at least in terms of in game perks. But they are excessive in terms of balance and it’s not reasonable for people to be trying to get back to them now that it’s a sure thing.

This is like me going around asking people to sell me bitcoins at 2013 prices because I “would have bought them if I could”. There are defined channels for players who want to express their appreciation for the game financially. When that support hinges on personal benefits it doesn’t look so altruistic, or appreciative.

3 Likes

Outside of gleam club, purchasing hundreds in cubits, and buying multiple DDE licenses what other channels are there?

No one is trying to be altruistic here I don’t believe, but that’s an impression you’ve gotten so there’s been some miscommunication clearly.

I’m more than happy with the purchase I’ve made, others are too. We want an excuse to spend more, if that even makes sense? But we’re not just going to throw money out there for the sake of being ‘here guys, take this money for plots I won’t ever use anyways’.

Does that make sense? I’m more than happy sticking with the purchases I’ve currently made. I feel satisfied with those purchases. id like to have a reason to spend more and that’s why I have asked @Xaldafax when he has time at his discretion during one of his one on ones with the devs, to address this issue as I know I’m not the only one. Of course we’re not just going to give them hundreds, if not potentially thousands, of dollars over time for sheer support. Right now the shop is dreadfully lacking. You like cosmetics or you don’t. You purchase plots or you don’t. If the development team decides that they don’t want to address this any further past what they have currently designed, then that’s perfectly fine to.

I just want to be clear I know I, and maybe fire can chime in or any others who have wanted to ask in the past, but I wasn’t in any altruistic mindset. This is strictly transactional.

E: the point of this post OP was to continue the dialogue Fire previously had had with James and get a starting point for this conversation so it could be shaped further, which in time I think it will.

3 Likes

Yeah fair enough on the altruistic thing. There’s a fair amount of dancing around the point and a few instances of “would have if i could have”. I’m not accusing anyone of being nasty here either.

It’s mostly about all the mentions of “showing support” or “the devs need money” being wrapped around “I would pay more if I could get more” - which you specifically have been very clear on.

I’m a couple hundred dollars into ‘supporting’ the game right now, and that’s likely to grow, at least at the rate of $5 per month. Which is all they’re really asking for. I asked some questions early on but all signs point to this game being financially healthy, and in a relatively unique position in terms of genre/niche.

So anyways yeah I might respond to an ‘excuse’ to spend more as well. But not as a ‘reward’ for my support of the game when that ‘support’ has come in the form of normal purchases to begin and enhance my gameplay.

It’s great that they offer a relatively small bonus as a perk for players who are willing to take an initial risk and buy the deluxe edition. All other thoughts on the situation aside, I’m really against the sale of large, multiplicative in game bonuses now that the game has a (maybe small, but) developed fan base.

I don’t particularly notice anyone posting here that has expressed their distaste for gleam club or cubit purchases to any great extent. It’s one of the things that surprised me near the beginning how many people post here that they’re against buying cubits or paying for gleam club like it’s something wrong or offensive.

Some of that definitely impacts my feelings on the topic and conversation here. I’m not against p2p (b2p if you prefer) or many of the things that people call p2w. But while you initially said you wanted to avoid discussion on what could be in such a package, it just leaves the comments to gravitate naturally towards what people want, which is stacked, multiplicative bonuses that affect their non-cash ‘buying power’ in game.

IMO this is the opposite of “showing support”. Opinions may vary.

Also disregarding items with huge technical or developmental barriers like world building or private planets, I’d like to see some of the backer items delivered before they get on with creating new ‘fan’ or ‘supporter’ packages. I’m under the impression that the wayfarer is the unique tool and the iron fist was the unique weapon. Let’s get these guys their crafted wearables and that digital art book (sheesh that one’s a no brainer) at least before they start throwing out new packages.

2 Likes

Well I should have been specific and that’s my fault. I didn’t want to have that convo. I wanted the backers to have that convo. I tried to specify that and maybe failed to do so.

Edit: and that’s a comment I made to Xal spedically, I don’t know why they haven’t gotten all their things/commitment yet but if it’s hindered by a lack of financing then increasing funding via something like what is being asked for could maybe get them to that point faster. Like you said, we don’t know where they are, Xal has a better idea than most. I want those guys made whole just as much as anything.

1 Like

Also just because they are financially stable does not mean they couldn’t use more to maybe hire more people to the team(like a community manager) or even for more publicity on the game(ads and whathave you). I myself have already spent at least $200 extra after my dde purchase just on myself. And then I bought this game for my friend and also bought her GC for a couple of months. Bought someone that was deployed GC for 3 months so his stuff would be safe. But you only need so many plots and I already have all the wareables I like. All the event ones even if I’m not going to use them. And 40w left on my GC.

So right now I’m at a loss on how to give more money.

Edit: meant to respond to you @Nightstar but I accidentally made it just a normal response to the topic

2 Likes

Right nobody is saying more money is bad, I don’t think.

But some of the conversation seems to hinge around an impression that the game is in some sort of danger financially, and I don’t have that impression.

Boundless doesn’t actually need a population explosion right now. They’re clearly hard at work on both infrastructure AND content. And it’s my understanding that the reason the ‘release’ was a bit rushed was due to an offer of support/partnership that would obviously include some people with both deep pockets and an eye to long term sustainability.

There are several milestones to be hit before they make a large push for growth. Including completing delivery on the packages they already sold, and/or explaining why they can’t.

Hey I like you and agree with you on a lot of points. Please don’t take this personally, as this is relevant to a lot of people and just general conversation on the philosophy and the topic here. But this infringes into what I was expressing earlier.

They’re not even asking for more money. It sounds like you’ve hit every button you can and pushed out the gleam club channel as well. It’s not on us to figure out ways to throw money at them. It’s normal to have some concern regarding the health of something you invest your money, and more importantly your time, into. But there are basically zero signs of danger here.

EDIT: just decided to remove a snarky comment that was directed at nobody in particular.

1 Like

I never said they were in danger financially. But more funds = more money for: equipment improvements (which can make their job easier), possibly bigger team(less time spent on implementing changes with more staff), community manager(we don’t have one right now), and the list can go on. But again I never once said they were in danger nor do I think they are. But more funding is never a bad thing.

I don’t think anybody here has made that explicit statement. But it’s the implication behind statements like “Devs have to eat” or “the servers have to stay up”.

That word never though. It is a bad thing if it comes with strings, or creates strain on existing relationships. If it takes them off of their road map unnecessarily.

Specifically with regard to any package that includes a bonus plot or cubit percentage, which is not going to be attractive to players in the short term, unless it obviously cuts into revenue over the long term. This is not supportive of the game at this phase.

Well as we already know there’s different teams working on different stuff. They even came out and said that. Maybe you didn’t see that post tho. So really it wouldn’t pull them off the road map in any way.

And no one really seemed to be set on cubit bonus or plot bonus. It was just a mere suggestion but it seems to be what you’re focusing on.

1 Like

Ok this thread has more or less served its purpose as backers are no longer really commenting which was the point of the post so to prevent further derailment, I’ll be asking to have the thread locked.

To those backers who took the time to post and express their thoughts, thank you.

3 Likes

At the time when I joined this conversation approximately 30% of posts explicitly mentioned a bonus to either plots or cubits as being desirable

Vetteq made a valiant effort here but, much like the farm poll, you can’t have a very useful discussion on this topic without discussing what might be in such a package. I did wait for basically 85 posts before joining in, it seems clear that by that point most of the interested/active backers had their say.

I would be interested in a new range of supporter packages. I would support backers receiving all the new bonuses on top of their original bonuses. I would support plot and/or cubit bonuses. I have GC and plots and will continue to have both. I love this game and will happily support it with new packages that will reward the support appropriately. Many (such as myself) missed out on the old backer packages and that’s unfortunate, but no reason to condemn those of us that would love to support in a similar fashion now.

1 Like

Nope, since the Deluxe Edition includes the normal edition the PSN store in the Netherlands does not allow you to buy the Deluxe Edition if you already own the regular version since you would be paying double for a part of it…

One other thing that I’ve thought of about this topic that doesn’t really seem to have surfaced much:

One person’s ‘Support Package’ is another person’s ‘Pay-to-Win’ (Or ‘Pay-to-Convenience’, as is more appropriate in Boundless). I’m personally fine with that. I’ve always thought that ‘gamers’ in general have an unhealthy fixation with the idea that you should invest time to progress through a game, but shouldn’t be able to use money to do the same, even if that’s what you’ve got more of spare.

But I’m fairly sure my opinions aren’t those of the majority. Anything they add as a paid-for extra needs to be really, really carefully thought through from that perspective, irrespective of whether it infringes on past and current paid options.

I agree but I guess if somebody wanted extra plots and to support the game then they could buy cubits to buy plots, simulate a plot bonus and the game still gets money.

1 Like