How would you boost player retention?

I’ve been thinking about my mini robot thing and it be a tricky to implement . I mentioned farming crops for you but the more I think about it would be a bad idea. I have huge farms and it would definitely help but also give an advantage to some which I don’t think is good. Maybe smaller task like fixing coils and machines, id also make so it’s one robot per account as to not have places overrun with them. Not sure about which functions we could give them but something that would maybe give a little help but not give an advantage to anyone either.

1 Like

I personally suspect the free play weekend skews these number a lot more than the relatively small number of players who tried the game during EA.

These numbers also completely ignore PSN.

I wouldn’t necessarily want to base business decisions off of these numbers and nothing else, and I hope that the developers have some better and more useful statistics. However as people are reaching out for information to inform the conversation, I think it’s significantly more useful than “how I felt at mid game” or just random “more ads will equal more players”.

By all means take it for what you think it’s worth.

1 Like

Why hasn’t anyone suggested a server wipe to boost player retention? :thinking: :thinking:

1 Like

Quick, find out who hacked Fallon’s account.

5 Likes

This game is going to be huge and we are all lucky to be on the ground floor. I never put much trust in devs but I completely do with the ones from this game. We might lose more players some months or gain but no one can deny the massive potential of this game. The interaction between community and devs is beyond and above what I’ve seen other games do.

What i’d also love to see is a boundless etiquette guide to also help new players and help prevent problems. Not a bunch of set rules but something to help navigate new and existing players… I know beacon placement is also a huge topic and some new players just don’t know where they should start. Having a guild that would tell them to always keep in mind if people in your surrounding and such. Just the do’s and don’t.

It be a tough thing to do. We’d have to have a bunch of community leaders with opposing views working together and finding common ground. The devs would also have to help as well. Like I said it wouldn’t be set rules that anyone can be punished for but a guide.

3 Likes

*How would you boost player retention ? *

I would not boost it.

I personally wouldnt be opposed to this but taking a wild guess id bet that that is the minority opinion. But really why dont we ask ourselves what can WE do to make a change?

I still think the best thing we can do is find someone in the community to go all out streamer and all of us support that person and show up to their streams. get their numbers up and make people pay attention. I know @Lennexfox posted about streaming one of the sasquatch hunts yesterday. MAybe they would be willing to do more?

We could support a streamer by finding fun things for them to visit in their stream or just by keeping their stream open in the backround if nothing else.

1 Like

I am supposed to flag this or find Fallon and grapple him into some nice warm lava?

3 Likes

Wait till he swings across a pit of lava then destroy the block his grapple is attached to.

Or let an elemental cuttle into his house.

2 Likes

For those of you not sure of it Fallon’s comment comes with much sarcasm more or less aimed at those who for some silly reason of their own that keep bringing up a wipe as if this was a minecraft server and not a MMO.

1 Like

Did not interpret his joke that way at all. Sounded like he was joking about the toxicity of that thread and not at any specific person.

2 Likes

Before this becomes that I thread again, and I apologize for contributing to it, maybe we should get back on topic.

1 Like

Quick, drag an angry wildstock into Fallon’s house and kick it…just to verify…

2 Likes

i think the key difference is i can take a as long of a brake form minecraft has i want worry free and come back to all the gear and builds still there boundless if you forget to refuel or maybe are unable too unless you are in the hardcore camp there is varly little incentive to come back

2 Likes

Thank you for the shoutout for this! Took an unexpected break last night, but i’m gonna be trying to dedicate to streaming Exo Atlasing [like the one that just popped up!] and our nightly hunts.

I really want this game more populated, there’s so much potential in it and i feel like it’s partially on us as a community to show that this game is so much more than ‘a minecraft clone’ or ‘pay to win’ (thanks steam reviews) or anything like that. Things get popular cause folk get loud and excited, and I wanna be in that crowd :slight_smile:

[Edit for shameless plug: Live now at https://www.twitch.tv/lennexfox ]

5 Likes

People need some more skill paths, badges, trophies, wearables, races, planets, creatures and so on. It’s largely boiling down to content. Basically just look at the reasonable suggestions threads. Haha

4 Likes

my self to boost player retention i would either release “casual friendly worlds” or rework the entire server system to allow for shard discounted dedicated servers or home hosted worlds move towards the 7 days to die/dayz model

I love all the recent updates but i think would really go a long way is a block update. something like 20 or 30 new new easy to build blocks to work with and a few harder ones to.

4 Likes

Just heard what you said from a former Boundless player a few minutes ago

was playing MC today with a friend. We had bought Boundless during the PS4 launch. I’m still playing, he quit after 30-60 days. I asked him why he preferred MC so much…he said:

• more building blocks (echoing what Jeff said)

• more monsters

• randomized worlds

• tons of players on server

• more survival aspects

• redstone

• creative mode

• no plots

• more weapons

I don’t agree with everything he said and I didn’t argue with him…just wanted his reasoning

3 Likes

Actually, durability loss is a common penalty in MMOs - BUT in say, WoW, your gear can be fixed easily by any merchant for a small fee, and as money is easy to come by, this is a small speed bump only. There are no NPCs in Boundless and no way to repair stuff (or if there is I haven’t seen it).