How would you define pay to win (P2W)?

Hello,

For a very long time I’ve considered pay to win to be a situation when players could buy exclusive stuff which allow them to overtake not paying players. I’ve always thought that convenience is not so much P2W and considered fair game if the only thing you are paying for is less of time investment. For me this was a way to make a game more balance to people who had good work and less time than people who could invest whole days into the game. Basically you could exchange real money for a bit less grind.

For example Warframe (where you can by everything using real money) for me is not pay to win cause players can also get everything without paying, just investing time.

Discussions on the steam review thread made me reconsider, so question - when exactly is the game pay to win? How would you define it?

well i obviously can’t answer for other people but i define pay 2 win as something that gives you a big advantage by spending real money vs a non paying player (like if a traditional mmo were to put entry level dungeon gear in the cash shop yes rift im looking at you! >_<