I just gifted boundless to a freind that runs linux

tell me what i need recommend to help him run this game… he has worked hard developing his own game solo. i need an answer for him.

SOON!

Either get him to try various methods of emulating Windows (Try WINE?) on Linux or run the game through a Windows VM.

From what I can tell, there is no native client for the game on Linux.

he said steam wont give him the install media.

Boundless does not support Linux. You cannot get it to install out of the box on Linux. It does appear it works well with Proton, but you have to figure out how to set that up yourself. There is a reason I have a Windows machine and a Linux machine, I am not dealing with WINE or Proton.

https://www.protondb.com/
1 Like

I have 300+ hours in Boundless only ever using Linux (Manjaro), as I swore off all Microsoft/Windows nearly 3 years ago.

The Steam client runs most games just fine using Steam Play, there is no need to install seperately, or request install media. Just install the game as normal through the Steam client after enabling Steam Play (Proton), in the Steam client itself. Most Linux versions have a native Steam client available in their repositories.

Boundless runs great via Steam Play, on the very highest settings, even with the approx 5%-10% performance overhead for WINE implementations, (caveat - I have a 2080 Super Nvidia graphics card, so user experience will be less on slower cards).

Steam Play/Proton is Steam’s custom version of WINE integrated by Valve into their client. To make it easy on yourself you can think of Steam Play as Proton, even though that’s not strictly true.
I cannot speak for all distros, but most users report similar experiences when using Steam
play (Proton).

So, if your friend has a Steam copy, then Proton is easy peasy!

(As a bonus Steam Play (Proton), will run almost all Windows games pretty easily. The website protondb.com will help for any that need tweaking.)

Step 1 - Open Steam settings from very top left off Steam client interface by clicking on “Steam” button, then select “Settings” from drop down menu.

Step 2 - Select “SteamPlay” at the very bottom of Settings Popup Box/Menu that will appear.

Step 3 - Tick box titled “Enable SteamPlay for supported titles”.

Step 4 - Tick box titled “Enable Steamplay for all other titles”.

Step 5 - Make sure highest number Proton version is selected in menu box on the the next line down.
It will say “Run other titles with:” ( 5.13-1 is latest Steam version)

You can also enable SteamPlay/Proton options on a per game basis by clicking the Preferences button (cog icon) that comes up on the game info page, after selecting Boundless in the Steam client, (it is located above the achievements area on the far right side, directly opposite the PLAY button).

For the Genuine Linux Leet-level Proton Experience :wink: use Glorious Eggroll’s latest Custom Stable version of Proton from Github, and install gamemode from repositories, and set launch options in setings for Boundless to %gamemoderun% :thinking:

8 Likes

thank u =)

I am a Linux guy, by which I mean I have used it exclusively as my daily driver for the last 25 years, I have worked for major Linux distros and been a developer on widely-used Linux projects (eg. I worked at Canonical developing the Unity desktop and the Ubuntu Phone). A few years ago I gave in and bought a top-end Windows-based game machine because when I want to relax, I don’t want to have to swim upstream to do so. I keep it in the LAN DMZ and it has nothing but Steam and Steam games loaded on it and it’s used for nothing but Steam games.

I am satisfied with that decision. A Windows game box because that’s all it’s good for, and Linux for work and everything else. I find it ironic because back in the 1980s and 1990s it was “Microsoft for work and Atari/Amiga/Mac for games” and later “Linux for hobby stuff”. It’s gone pretty much 180 degrees now.

I am disappointed with Wonderstruck because I originally invested in Oort Online back in 2014 because they promised it would be Linux-native and I played Boundless that way in the browser while it was a thing (even ran it on my phone to demo the graphics). I have no problem playing anything from Paradox or Wube natively on Linux, so it’s definitely not a technical thing.