I just moved a warehouse build

Needed to move a large warehouse filled with thousands of mats. My options were to take hours moving things due to distances from portals or open my own 24 block portal which I ended up doing. Port cost to do this was about 10k give or take but totally worth it due to the time it saves traveling.

Where my headache came in was dismantling all the storage blocks, and refineries and mixers and extractors etc etc. you get the drift.

Because of the way dismantling works, it’s very cumbersome and tedious to move a base so prevents a lot of big bases from ever moving, at least until whatever final straw is reached.

I’m not sure if it’s possible to do because of design limitations but I think it’d be awesome if we could craft an expensive movers crate that could hold a vast amount of items and once those items are locked in to the crate you can’t open it until you place it at the new location. You’d still have to open expensive ports if you didn’t want to run things back and forth but you’d also have to weigh the decision to craft the crate because it’d be hypothetically an expensive item to make as well.

Edit:

After a question asked, another item that would be nice to have is a house demo tool. People hate accidentally breaking blocks so taking multiple hits for items makes sense however if we intentionally want to demo everything a one-hit demo tool that we could aoe forge would be a great solution to aid in the time it takes to deconstruct things. I imagine this would be a good tool for those who like to create seasonal builds and then dread the take down time.

7 Likes

Interesting idea. I really like it! I wonder if, or how, it would tie in with blueprints? Hmm…

Where they’d really be nice, is when people forget to clear their 8 million stone out of “the xp grind”…

1 Like

I agree a movers crate would be great. I have moved a large base twice…and want to move again. I’m in the same position you were but I really don’t want to pay that kind of oort cost for the portal. So your idea of the movers crate is one I would vote for. Or maybe even a movers portal (one that only stays open for like 4 hours or something and does not cost a lot).

1 Like

Was the issue that each storage block and machine mandates 4 swings to break no matter your strength? Does it still feel tedious smacking them with an AoE tool? Just trying to define the solution space a little further.

This is a cool idea, imagine the deep storage you could make with such an item

I have moved a nice size place once also. and yes the 4 hits on everything is still crazy time waste. I think there should be something in game to trigger moving on purpose and allow 1 hit to happen to your stuff at least.

Took like 5ish hours to just dismantle an old base i had to move.

Something like the crate idea, or some form of forged and/or different type of tool to allow 1 hit on machines & storages either way would help a ton.

2 Likes

Alternatively, what if it took just two hits to dismantle placed blocks inside your beacon that aren’t natural blocks?

You bring up a separate issue from what my original idea was addressing but now that you mention it, a house demo tool that took one swing on blocks would have been great to have. I used an aoe hammer to make quick work of it all.

The tedious part was having hundreds of stacks of items to have to ferry back and forth. It worked out because I just set up a huge portal connected directly to both bases but I still had to spend about 2 hours running back and forth putting items back in to storage blocks after setting them back up again. That time frame would have been amplified even more if I hadn’t spent the 10k to create the in-house port. Easily 4 hours because of PS4 load times. In hind sight, I shoulda just done it on the pc account but doing on the PS4 gives more insight in to how those connections are still much laggier than pc connections (that PS4 is hard wired now also yet my pc has a much quicker load rate).

Anyways yes thanks for your questions, a house demo tool that we could forge to aoe and demo house blocks in 1 hit is also a fantastic idea to deconstruct a building. The movers crate would aid in the ability to carry locked items a long distance to save players time jumping through ports if they didn’t build an in house port, as well as cut down on time and amount of trips needed in general.

I would curse this change every time I accidentally broke things… :slight_smile:

Yeah, good point, I guess there’s a double edged sword to everything.

That’s why I suggested 2 hits instead of 1 though lol. Dang those wonky triggers sometimes.

Ah ok, so it’s picking up the sorted storage and moving it that was the real pain. AoE gives a workaround to the 4 hits, assuming there’s a middle block to hit. May even be faster to place a storage block just to focus an AoE shot at the surrounding blocks lol.

For moving stuff… the pain point for me is always that I have sorted stuff out of SS according to color or type or whatever. And placing them in my pack undoes that sorting. A way to say “move this, but don’t smart stack it” would be nice.

But then backpack space might be a source of tedium. Maybe a moving box that acts as more backpack storage but it can only hold blocks and items gathered from inside your beacon? (Just trying to prevent ppl running off to gather resources with a moving box meant for moving.)

The trick to keeping people from exploiting the box in the manner you suggest would be to have it “open” once it’s set down. Once it is picked back up, it locks with the only option to unload it, like how crafting tables and the other tools work. Put the mats in, and then when you open it a second time it acts as “finished goods” ie: a space you can only extract from, not add to.

That’d probably be a bit of coding if it’s not in place already but maybe not!

3 Likes

Nice idea. I guess the problem there is I can radically increase my storage for rock/whatever by plopping down a beacon, moving it all into there then moving on and repeating as pack fills.

Not that I see it as a problem - unless there’s a huge bandwidth cost involved or something I’d like to see at least another two rows on the default inventory!

This almost reminds me of the dolly from Extra Utilities in modded Minecraft (as well as similar Minecraft mods). It’s a very handy tool over there and can I see it doing really no harm over here for the most part.

I think it would be a welcome addition to the game. :slight_smile:

I am thinking you make the moving box a one time use…drop it in your home beacon, load it up, pick it up and place in new home beacon, empty it out and after last item is removed it breaks like a tool/weapon.

3 Likes

You could use regular non Regen bombs I suppose?

But I agree it’s hard. My idea had been a “moving boxes” item