Ideas for creature spawning rules

I like everything about your post except for this. I would like creatures to not be things you can infinitely spawn inside a small, player controlled area. Beacons should be configurable to allow/deny certain creatures from entering, but creature spawning should be more natural than the minecraft “pig spawner = infinite pigs”. I don’t want any kind of automated mob grinders, except for maybe the kind that catches them as they walk by.

5 Likes

I probably described what I was thinking wrong. I didn’t mean it in the sense that you had a machine that would produce pigs on command, but rather by building this structure you’re giving explicit permission for pigs to spawn naturally in (and enter) your beacon area.

The idea is not to make more or less pigs appear than normal, just allow them to naturally occur.

1 Like

Sounds like a meatgrind zone, build a wall and make creatures spawn in that tiny area, easy profit.

i agree with alex, i dont think you should have spawns in beacons at all, i feel that spawns should be dynamic and random rather than allow any type of playercontrol.

2 Likes

Sorry, tried to clear that up in my last reply. I wasn’t thinking of it as a spawning block, rather a permission machine.

If pigs would naturally spawn in you beacon they will continue to do so, no more or less than normal.

If you don’t build an altar then even if pigs would normally spawn there they won’t.

I wasn’t suggesting a pipe that spits pigs out or anything.

Removing the ability to create grinders like there are in minecraft is outside of what I was addressing in my post.

I know, i know what you mean, that still doesnt change what i said, i dont think you should have spawns in beacons, at all, even normal spawns, even allowed normal spawns, cause what if they dont disappear for example, you say its not grinding, but what if i had a beacon just for spawning pigs in them, and you just leave it for a week, you will have a ton of pigs just walled in ready for slaughter

The creatures should not spawn in a place with force limited movement AKA beacons.

ATM what you are suggestion is literally how it works now, which you can see, people are not too happy about, for now the creatures despawn relatively quickly, but we dont know further down the line, also if you didnt want to farm pigs then please, explain to me, why would you allow them to spawn in a certain area?

Well, my first answer is to limit the amount of creatures that can spawn in an area. If there are more than X number of mobs in an area, no more will spawn. If there is < X than there is a chance another could spawn at whatever interval they currently spawn at.

I know there’s discussion about making creatures spawn where players aren’t, but I feel like tracking thousands of mobs across the world would be an awful large drain on computer resources for no benefit - because there’s no benefit when players aren’t near the mob. (It would be ideal if mobs never spawned in your view though.)

As for why I would want to be able to spawn pigs? Okay, I was using pig as a generic term to give it form and shape. Lets make the mob “Ancient Oortian golems” - because that’s something I’d be more likely to want.

I could use my beacon to build something that looks like a large set of Oortian ruins. I turn off destructability of blocks for other people, but let people enter my area and explore my “ancient ruins” which are (of course) protected by these golems left behind by the Oortians. (But really it’s just me creating a cool dungeon environment for people to explore.)

If you’re concerned about grinding they might be able to implement the idea that creatures within a beacon don’t drop any resources, which seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Keep in mind, the altar idea was meant to be extensible. So maybe you have an altar that allows the spawning of ancient golems, but you add a “friendly” block to the altar, so the mobs it allows to spawn in your beacon become friendly and won’t attack you. (But maybe it will still attack other people? Unless you add another typer of block?)

Really man, I don’t know. I’m just coming up with ideas and rambling. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I want some way to ‘claim’ ownership of mobs so they don’t despawn.
Maybe either:
a limited number per person (could have a levelable skill that increases the number)
a kind of costly item used so people don’t claim several hundred animals.

Both of these would let people raise animals for a living if they want.

2 Likes

Guardians tend to spawn near other guardians/in dungeons/near relics
herders tend to spawn near others of their kind
loners tend to spawn away from others of their kind

population limits should be set, more passives than aggressors (10:1/100:1?) in area (N square blocks)

I’d think beacons should be regarded as a kind of magical/technological barrier. They should come in various strengths. a level 1(base) beacon would protect blocks from non-owners, and remove territory from the “wild” (no spawning).
level2 keeps out (repels) local aggressive wildlife from passively encroaching on/wandering into area.
level 3 would be a sanctuary from actively aggressive wildlife (repulser strong enough to counter actively acting creatures)

(off topic: there could also be other types of beacons:

• active force field, with “charge”/generation capacity keeps out “hostile” and/or non-member, and/or non-owner players
  • possibly crafted by adding different components?)

Of course this could also be modified with the strength of the creature (beacon lvl - creature lvl) where >2 = repulser effect, and >1 is simply repellant, <1 would only convey block and spawn protection.

Even the spawn protection could be reversed in some cases: e.g. A lvl10 artifact stored within a lvl 1 beacon may still spawn a lvl 8 guardian… thereby creating the need to upgrade beacons and therefore crafting skill and better materials as “treasure” accumulates.

Beacon level could be affected by crafting skill, and materials (world level they come from/rarity).

Nocturnals should spawn at night or in darkness, diurnal during the day. light levels should effect behaviour: e.g. too bright seek dark; or too dark seek light (moths) or go inactive (herds). can even have “corrupt creatures” be de-spawned by sunlight.

creatures should have a spawning biome/block type: snow/ice/rock, grass/plains for herds, sand/desert. caves would be a type of biome/light lvl environ

Some may thrive in a storm: guardians, etc. others may seek shelter; burrow, gravitate under trees or overhangs.

If there are repellant beacons, it makes sense that one could also craft attractors/summoners… limited of course by biome, creature type and “distance”, a herd summoning staff would be unlikely to summon a mountain goat on the plains, but you’d get lots of the local variety.

I’d also make it more of an attractor than a spawner… crafting lvl & materials increase range, any target animal within that range will gravitate (move toward) the summoner. Of course, predators would also be attracted to a large concentration of prey animals… thereby also slightly increasing the danger of use… heck, certain guardians may “sensitive” the the use of summoners in general…

Can also have “mobile-beacons”: staff of summoning/repelling…

1 Like

Yes and they shouldn’t just simply despawn when the other time of the day comes. They should go to their sleeping places. Which would give an additional side to hunting/taming if implemented.

1 Like

What about creatures that become agressive at night, but are passive during the day? Or, inversely, agressive creatures that at night flee from combat?

2 Likes

It might not fit here but I still just leave it around.

https://forum.oortonline.com/t/moving-level-cap-and-enemys/424

Yes! I thought I said or at least implied it, but see I wasn’t explicit. It was what I meant by having limits, not only by type (predetor, herd, etc) or biome (desert, plains, mountains). if creatures just spawned endlessly it could get pretty crowded, but if population limits are set then the eco-system could be more dynamic. Not certain how detailed the devs want to get with it though, or how much of a cpu cycle sync it would become.

@Havok40k I like!

Spitters that stalk during the day, can’t see well at night, but are attracted to torches… ah, the possibilities.

Can also have creatures that simply change hunting style depending on day cycle… Active/stalkers during day/night but lurkers/ambushers during night/day.

1 Like