Increase Maximum FOV Pretty Please

After starting this game for the first time and playing it with the max 110 FOV, it really is making me nauseous. I am forced to play the game in third person to not experience this side effect. Please allow us to increase the FOV.

3 Likes

What range do you think is required?

What’s your setup? How big is your screen(s) and how far away from them are you sat? Also, what settings do you usually use in other games?

My monitor is 24 inches, I sit around 0.9m away from it. I think that I would need to play with the range to decide what is preferable to me. I think having a limit which is too high is much better than a limit which is too low. Also is it necessary to have the FOV in 10 increments? Why not just have a slider or a number you can change. There’s no need to re-invent the wheel IMO.

Not arguing either way, just curious to know your set-up (it’s actually the same as mine) and I find anything over 100 nauseating. FOV perception is quite a personal thing.

The current limit was put there because 1st person anims and assets start to distort extremes above 110.

That’s fair enough, how easy would it be to implement a way to make the character in 1st/3rd person slightly transparent so its easier to see through the character to place blocks. Also would that fov problem be fixed at some point in development?

Our aim is to provide a good 3rd person experience. The FOV options in 1st vs 3rd perspectives aren’t different, maybe it’s to do with perspective / camera height from ground that’s causing nausea? Either way, we’re looking at it (and we’ll look at FOV too). Thanks for flagging.

2 Likes

Thanks for your attention ^^, its great to have active devs, keep it up :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

i play on a 27" monitor and I sit around 0.7m away from it. the fov is a bit low, but playable.

if i want i can play it on my 50" tv but for this is the fov to low, it make no fun.

i think a higher max fov is a god idea.

Generally, the larger the screen and further away you’re sat, the lower the FOV you want. But as I mentioned, FOV choice is quite a personal thing but in our research we couldn’t find and useful examples beyond 110 and below 70.

Folk on ultrawide (or multi-monitor) displays may want to go below 70 (I’ve seen 50-60 a lot there)

1 Like

FOV makes pvp unstable though. It will always make sense to choose the highest fov for the pvp player. as a higher FOV shows more area around the player not having the highest option will put the player at a disadvantage.

Competitive or serious PvP is not something we’re planning for Boundless, so it’s unlikely to affect that.

3 Likes

PvP is PvP though and it would be kinda irretating to loose a fight cause you had the FOV at a level where everyhting was not stretched out.

Also does this mean we have dropped the PvP worlds? Cause having those would mean somewhat serious pvp

If you have ultra balanced PvP (something like Quake or Team Fortress 2), it’s definitely true that small differences like field of view can make a difference to balance.

In a game like Boundless if we have PvP (whether PvP can be a good experience with server/lag etc is still very, very much tbd) small differences like FOV will likely pale in comparison to some player’s amazingly crafted explosive arrows that kill you in one shot, or someone using a bomb to spawn a ground basher next to you (or whatever, those are just examples).

We want to build an amazing sandbox which means compromising balanced PvP in so many ways, but all in service of super-fun interactions between players.

2 Likes

PvP worlds/Beacons/anything are dependant on whether we can make a good PvP experience alongside the rest of our massive featureset. Boundless is not a PvP focused game, but we’d like to include it.

5 Likes

I knew that B< wouldn´t be a super balanced PvP game but I was really looking forward to gank other players for their loot :smiling_imp:
So I really hope that we will get at least some “official” servers that just have PvP enabled by default, no matter in what an imbalanced chaotic mess it might result :smile:

3 Likes

That’s the plan.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Back to the OPs topic, is there any way to exceed the current limit of 110 FOV in this game? A config file hidden somewhere? A mod? Or just unlock the slider in the menu options and offer a wider range of values?

I prefer to game using a triple monitor setup with a native resolution of 5760x1080 (honestly, I prefer 3840x1080 but those single monitors with that resolution are way too expensive). With wider resolutions, it appears the FOV is tied to resolution in this game. However, even running it in windowed mode at 3840x1080 it results in an unplayable 1st person view for me, still zoomed in way too far at max FOV of 110.

Waking this thread back up after 3 years due to the free weekend on Steam. I like how well the game runs and it looks pretty nice (even that close up and for the 3 minutes I played it), so I’m wanting to give it a chance… But, can’t do it if it doesn’t support ultra super wide resolutions.

Anyone have any insight if it’s possible to change the FOV past 110 with maybe a console command? Config file?

Thanks!

2 Likes