Increasing World Height Limits

I, for one, prefer a decrease in available planets if it will result to an increase in the world height limits. Sometimes it’s a little underwhelming overlooking a “tall” mountain and traverse it in a few minutes or looking down an opening of a cave only to find yourself be in lava in a couple of minutes.

We could also have better mountains and landscapes with the increase of height and more available space for ambitious builds.

Could this be possible on the new planets or we’ll be facing some technical issues?

3 Likes

Only problems with performance and network throughput

Memory usage, too (on the server mainly). We might have to sacrifice world size to accommodate higher altitudes

Problems:

It would be a huge huge refactor to support it.
It would cause meshing to be a good deal slower as doubling the world height effectively doubles the cost of sunlight simulation.
It would increase memory and cost a good deal of performance without even more refactoring.

Basicly, just huge amounts of work.

6 Likes

Mr.Cannot :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Mr.Realistic :slight_smile: (I didnt say impossible, just trying to make clear the difficulty)

10 Likes

Too difficult to achieve = “We won’t do that” = Impossible :roll_eyes:

Surely, I didn’t want a higher height limit, 256 is enough

I always wanted to be able to climb to 257. pleeeease. :wink:

2 Likes

Understood.

I was mainly thinking that it would just mostly increase memory and CPU usage that’s why I did compare it with world size vs number of worlds. If we’re aiming to have 10 planets per server, we could settle to 5 planets and double their height limits, etc.

What I didn’t consider is the refactoring and the adjustment of sections with dependencies on this part. :sweat_smile:
I hope it could change in the future though even if it’s just on private servers :wink:

1 Like

Just imagine, higher worlds + that ‘vertical reservation of plots’ thing :scream:

That and the breathtaking scenery it would generate!

Mountains currently are like minor obstacles that you can cross in a few minutes and that is not worth tunneling of some sort.

This got me curious and search for the average height of mountains and found this. Not the most reliable source but it would be enough to convey the idea. Basically, it said that the average height of mountains is 3863 meters so we’re quite far from it. :wink:

Pff I’m really holding out for 258.

1 Like

That’s ambitious.
You might like to slow down a bit.
You heard about overreaching?

2 Likes

256.1? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Outrageous.

1 Like

With a new dark matter chisel letting you carve a 0.1 block height slab.

Ah, lets not forget that even though the highest placed block can only be 256, character’s head is at 258 when standing on it. :sunglasses:

We have titanic plans for >255…

14 Likes

Surely that would be <255…?

EDIT: Oh, you mean “titan”-ic, not Titanic.

3 Likes

Maybe a world with lower ground level would be a small improvement in that direction, I think that about 5th is currently under ground, so making a “shallow” world make a bit higher mountains :slight_smile:

5 Likes

They only seem like that as the current worlds are very basic earth-like biomes. You should see some of the other stuff @Tobelawe was cooking up!

7 Likes