Instant Crash - Purchased through Steam

When I start the game it immediately crashes through steam or through the .exe in the Steam folder. I do not have an ATI card and have just installed the game today.

PC Specs:
Win7 Pro 64bit
Intel i7-4790k 4.00ghz
16gb RAM
GTX 780 - newest driver
24 Mbps Down
Texas, US
Game purchased through Steam

No error logs have been created in the directories listed on other posts/pages.

Also I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling, restarting and other steps.

It might not be you…i cannot get the game to load at all today…i started a topic on this too

Seems that I broke everything by buying the game today, sorry :frowning:

And there is definitely no game log? This would / will contain the clues to help us work out why it’s failing. Can you have a search? It’s here:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Turbulenz\Oort Online\oortonline_log.txt

There is nothing there, I created \Turbulenz\Oort Online\ to see if it would create the log, but it never did. I even went so far as to create the log text file to see if that would help but it didn’t. The game doesn’t launch at all though, so I’m unsure if it would create a log file for it. As soon as I click play on steam I just get the “Oort Online has stopped working” error.

Closest I have to a log is the problem details;

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: oortonline.exe
Application Version: 0.1.0.0
Application Timestamp: 551be982
Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bdfe0
Exception Code: e0434352
Exception Offset: 000000000000aa7d
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 7ccb
Additional Information 2: 7ccb2fa98342573c8a26d5624a3b51e6
Additional Information 3: f745
Additional Information 4: f745bbc0a0e71aa70976cbdf7ca9c67a

Have you tried both the 32bit and 64bit versions?

Edit:

What version of Steam are you running?

Are there any crash dumps:

Providing Crash Dumps

If the game crashes on Windows the game will write a crash dump file (.mdmp) to the same location as the debug logs. These provide details on exactly what crashed. For Steam users these will be automatically collected for analysis. However if you wish to provide more information then please send it to oortonline@turbulenz.com along with the log and what you were doing.

Where can I find crash dumps? I’ve searched all of my hard drives for .mdmp files and haven’t found any.

I’m running the newest version of Steam.

How do I try a 32bit or 64bit version of the game? I’m only trying what gets installed via steam by default.

By default you’ll be on the 64bit version - which is the correct version for your OS. You can try the 32bit version by selecting: Oort Online -> Properties -> BETAS -> “Select the beta you would like to opt into” -> “32bit - Legacy 32bit windows build”.

If there is definitely no game log then the game is basically instantly crashing (or totally) failing to start.

1. Does any game window appear - or does it instant crash?

2. If it is installed correctly then this would suggest some sort of binary incompatibility. (Totally bizarre.)

3. If it isn’t installed correctly (most likely) then you need to clean and reinstall. Alternatively an external application is interfering.

Actually - can you confirm you have all latest Windows Updates installed. I think someone else experienced something like this because they were missing the latest service pack. This would be our best bet at the moment.

1 Like

It looks like you have windows 7 without Service Pack 1 installed (OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256 w.48) rather than 6.1.7601 it should be with it.

Installing the service pack is likely to fix it.

4 Likes

That was the problem! Thank you very much!

1 Like

Nice catch!