Boundlexx API: An API to get all things related to Boundless

That cannot be changed now. It would be a breaking change. If you do not want all of that data, that is what /api/v1/worlds/simple/ is designed for.

I could actually deprecate /api/v1/worlds/ (just the list view) for a period before removing it and force people to use /api/v1/worlds/simple/. Then after a period make /api/v1/worlds/ return the same thing as simple. The detail view will likely keep returning all of the data though.

Man look how far you’ve come sniffle
I remember back when you were just a wee ‘un

• Deprecated /api/v1/worlds/ in favor of /api/v1/worlds/simple/.
    • This is only the list view endpoint. The retrieve endpoint (ex: /api/v1/worlds/10/) will continue to return the full details on the world.
    • There is starting to become just too much data to return all of in the list view, so the plans are to trim it down and if you need all of the data for a world, you have to call the retrieve endpoint.
    • The endpoint will not be getting deleted, but it will start returning the same result as /api/v1/worlds/simple/ starting on a date soon after 1 December 2020. Please keep that in mind and migrate your code accordingly.
  • Adds searching to the Emojis API
  • Unifies logic on “inactive” Worlds and World Block Colors.
    • Serailizers for both Worlds and WBCs now return active. Active status on a world means it currently exists and it is being returned by the game API. Inactive worlds are not (expired and deleted Exos/Sovereigns). Active WBCs are the current known WBC.
    • show_inactive will function on World APIs and WBC APIs to add inactive worlds to results
    • show_inactive_colors will function on WBC APIs to add inactive colors to results
    • active=false on World APIs or world__active=false on WBC APIs can be added to show only inactive worlds
    • active=false can be used on WBC APIs to show only inactive colors

Hi, I just visited your new webpage for boundlexx and really like it. I also had a look into that forum generator part but what should I post (and where) in the boundless forum whem I can not choose the “Sovereigns” category.
Btw: A few days ago you did send me a api key which worked fine and I was able to upload the color data into the “Portal Seekers” (? not sure where it really sits and/or is owned). It looks as if you do not use this database but use a different one? How can I add my data into your webpage / api ?

I will study the docs you provide, perhaps I can be of some help, as I am using Javascript and a wider range of its frameworks since a few years for graphics apps.

1 Like

You have to be a Regular to post in that category. If you are not, just make a new post in the Creations category and then message one of the forum Leaders (@majorvex or @Stretchious). They can quickly move it to the correct category for you.

I have not added world block color data yet to Boundlexx UI, but I plan to in the future.

2 Likes

Forum leaders are myself & Stretchious. The forum mods/admins are Leah & James.

Introducing API v2, an API designed with Web applications in mind.

https://api.boundlexx.app/api/v2/

v1 is designed with usability and discoverability and over the past few week I have come to realize that that is not good for Web applications. For Web applications, especially for mobile devices like phones, small response times and response sizes are more important then anything else. To that end, I have now made a variant of Boundlexx that designed specifically for Web applications.

v2 still has all of the same great features as v1 and v1 is not going anywhere. Some changes between v1 and v2

• Many of the “list” endpoints for resources have been simplified and all relations have been removed. You must now call the “retrieve” endpoint to get all of the original data. This reduces response sizes and greatly decreases response times. Ex: If you want to know what world another world orbits, you must call the /api/v2/worlds/{id}/ endpoint for that world. It will not appear in /api/v2/worlds/
  • No more URLs! URLs ate up a huge amount of response size. As such, they are completely gone (except for URLs to images for objects).
  • Simplified relations. All locations where relational data is provided, it will now only provide the look up ID for that relation. No other date. This further reduces response sizes a great deal and also greatly improves response times. For a Web application, it is expected you cache the basic lookup data for these relations. Ex: If you get a world, the assignment relation will now only contain the World ID. It will not contain the world name or any other data anymore.

Just to mention this again, v1 is not going anywhere. If you are making a non-Web application, like a Discord bot, Web backend, etc. Keep using it if it is more helpful. That being said, v2 is designed for Web applications. So v1 is now deprecated for use with Web applications. Starting on 1 January 2021, I will remove all CORS headers from v1 and you will no longer be able to make XHR requests to it from Web application frontends.

Here are some raw stats from performance testing on v2:

• items/?limit=1000 saw a 90% reduction in response time and 99% reduction in response size.
    • /api/v1/items/?limit=1000 = 10.49s, 398kB
    • /api/v2/items/?limit=1000 = 1.04s, 54.7kB
  • worlds/simple/?limit=1000 saw a 85% reduction in response time and a 14% reduction in response size (worlds/simple/ is already designed to replace the worlds/ so the size reduction is not as great)
    • /api/v1/worlds/simple/?limit=1000 = 3.16s, 30.7kB
    • /api/v2/worlds/?limit=1000 = 516ms, 26.8kB

A nearly full list of load of necessary metadata from the list endpoints comes in at ~83.4kB using msgpack.

Other changes in this update:

• All of the Serializers/OpenAPI Schemas have been updated and should not more accurately reflect what is actually being returned. This applies to v1 and v2.
  • Replaced the _average_per_chunk filter with average_per_chunk. I finally got all of the world polls backfilled and renamed the actual database field
2 Likes

I know nobody in their right mind uses it, but Light Mode is really hard to read:

AHH it fixes if you click another tab, I guess nevermind?

Looks like the theme is not being loading dynamically on the “display” pages. So if you switch the them on, it will not update the cards correctly until you reload that component. I will definitely fix it, thanks for letting me know!

2 Likes

WARNING:

In the near future, I will be removing all data about non-public Sovereign worlds from Boundlexx. It has been brought to my attention via discussions with the devs that some players have complained about the data for their “private” worlds are being leaked. So that means in the near future, any worlds that currently is_public = false will stop returning data via Boundlexx. You will start to get 404s instead of data. This also applies to any Discord Webhook as well. A notification for a new Sovereign world will only be generated when the world is set to global “Can Visit”.

I totally understand why some players would not want everyone to know about their world if they are not ready to let players to know about it. I apologize for any inconvenience this might cause any awesome things you have built.

1 Like

Man that’s a shame but I get it. All good.

• In line with my previous comment, removes private Sovereign worlds from the Discord notifications Webhooks. A Discord message will be pushed out on the first world poll after the world is made public, if ever. Sorry for the duplicate/old messages while I was working out these issues. I probably should have disabled everyone’s subscriptions while I work ironing that out. This will only affect Sovereign/Creative worlds, not Homeworlds or Exoworlds.
  • Shop data! I finally got an API key for the Live Universe and now shop data is starting to get populated in Boundlexx. You can start building against the existing APIs, just please be aware it may still take me a day or two to get the polling up to expected performance levels/timing intervals.
  • Adds text_name and html_name (similar to the same fields on the Worlds API) for both Leaderboard Record APIs and Shop APIs.
1 Like

How does someone find this screen, if I might ask?

But this means that as an owner you can’t check any of the data either. Plus can’t check if one like you requested has just been created.
I mean that when I created one I kept looking out for a pop up of a planet with similar characteristics. And before going there I checked the resources.

This is a shame that is now not possible anymore.

I also don’t understand why anyone would want to keep things a secret. There’s no player name associated with the planets so we don’t know who owns it. All we can see is the amount of resources and why on earth would you want that to keep a secret.

What nefarious plans do people have to want this secrecy?

4 Likes

Part of the frontend we have been working on.

1 Like

Am I understanding correctly you now have to set your world to public (via the discord hook or some other method I’m not aware of) manually, not just the world control, to be visible in the API? The methods require your world id, right? How does a normal person get this id?

1 Like

You ca have it in debug menu now on pc. If its still like that you can look via planet names aswell on the api.

I’m assuming he’s setting the “is_public” flag from the worlds list endpoint (https://ds.playboundless.com:8902/list-gameservers) as any world that restricts visitors doesn’t appear in there.

1 Like

The discovery page has no info about that as far as I can see, I wish it had. It doesn’t even show if the world is creative or survival.