Iron is too scarce

Let’s not forget the community does bring huge amount of tips when it comes to where to get resources. Prove of that are the gleam, gems and other resources guides.

Let’s make this clear. Iron needs to be easier to get, than it is now. But it’s in no way unobtainable or hard enough to get that you can’t progress.
Before you could just mine and find iron, now you need to look for it, does looking for it with the tips players give, help? It does, I managed to find iron, gave my tips, and sure enough some found it, some didn’t.

I personally believe iron should be able to be obtained if you’re looking for it, but not as common as you just find it walking down mountains like it’s nothing.

I believe iron is at this point, that you can find enough to progress and do the machines, but not so common to be able to maintain using iron tools all the time, for all the players. I wish to see it return to that point in time, were everyone can keep using iron tools as long as they look for it.

1 Like

As has been mentioned a dozen times, it comes down to balance. What I have not seen are suggestions to achieving that balance.

At the moment, the starter worlds have resource distribution much like the other more difficult worlds- areas of pleanty and poverty depending on factors like biome, elevation, and more. This works fantastic for the more experienced players on the advanced planets. However, this seems to be a high hurdle for early game players who are unfamiliar with Boundless’s unique distribution. For that reason, I would like to suggest that starter planets resource distribution adopt a more traditional “minecraftian” resource spread. Resources should be evenly distributed all across every biome, with separation based on elevation- as many players are used to in Minecraft. Additionally, nodes of resources should be smaller in quantity, 3-5 per node, but more evenly distributed.

Once they are well enough established on the starter planet, it would be much less frustrating to learn boundless’s unique resource distribution from then on.

On that note, I’d like to see titanium removed from the starter planets! It’s far to easy to find in abundance there!

3 Likes

Here’s my suggestion, as mentioned by devs. Objectives will give clues to where to find and what to do in order to achieve something. Let’s use objectives to provide information on where to find the resources. That should achieve what the devs want in terms of providing information on the resources for starter planets, and should help with avoiding the feeling of getting stuck.

I’m still happy with different biomes having different distributions or preferred spawns. I’m for smaller but more frequents nodes, as it will help with balancing different spots around the planet.

1 Like

Not to beat a dead horse, but I’m a brand new player on Berlyn with about 14 hours in-game, and I have yet to even see an iron ore…I’ve travelled over seven territories and still nada. I’ve tried the whole “under flora” thing and sticking between 60-90 altitude.

I would love to have some iron tools and all, but at this point…I’ll settle for like 5 nuggets to get some shelving.

I’m totally fine with having very rare resources, but their rarity must be reflected in the crafting. Early game tools for progression cannot rely on a super rare ore, not that iron is meant to be so.

That being said, I’m absolutely smitten with the game and love that what we suggest is being considered instead of moaning and groaning when the project is finished. The amount of content for a pre-alpha is already staggering, and I cannot wait to see what the Devs have got in store for us (Can’t wait to make those Oort face totems!)

Thanks so much to @DanBeforeTime, @Steggs101 and @Skippy0330 for their awesome youtube series(es?) for getting me besotted with the game. Hoping to see you guys in-game sometime!

4 Likes

I’ve been playing testing version for a week or so now and I can tell you that scarcity of iron won’t be a problem as you won’t be able to do some of the things you can now from the start. You’ll need to level up to be able to sprint or jump or craft higher tier tools and items. So there will be plenty time to find iron before you can even consider using it.

And of course its spawning gonna be balanced better too I’m sure so things are gonna be goooood. :sunglasses:

:oort_b: :oort_o: :oort_u: :oort_n: :oort_d: :oort_m: :oort_o: :oort_r: :oort_e:

3 Likes

That’s a very good point. We have pretty much pure freedom to act as “high level” right from the start in the current live build. Progression will be much more steady and deliberate after the changes go live.

3 Likes

D’aww :relaxed:thanks @Anichka93 glad our videos helped!

I’m happy to chuck you some iron if you need it, I’ve found a lot in the deserts of Therka just looking at the mountains so I have a fair amount to spare!

Feel free to pm me, friendo!

2 Likes

I’m so glad you found our videos helpful @Anichka93
Like @Steggs101 said, feel free to PM me anytime and/or add me on Steam. :blush:

2 Likes

So after 20 grueling and exhausting hours of searching for some dang iron, I’ve come to Solum to try my luck. Gonna find a beacon for sale, plant it, and move to Solum for a little while.

20 hours of grinding on Berlyn got me: countless fossils, coal and copper, 15 or so tech fragments, 100 or so silver and about 20 gold (also tons of hard coal, but i could not mine that)

…and not a single ore of iron…

So here I come, Pixelgate!

p.s. @Havok40k Thanks for the portals at the Township!

2 Likes

Solum is easy for iron. Easy enough I mean. :grinning: if you go to icy mountains it spawns on surface among copper and coal.

1 Like

Solum is the best for basic resources, in the hard numbers that our dear developer James released, Solum literally has like 3x the resources of everywhere else, and the US East follows the pattern, Solum has more iron and copper, Epsilo has more everything than say, Elopor, and Vulpto has more everything (except Ruby) than everywhere else.

Funnily enough, Andoweem actually has the most gems in it

1 Like

Thanks guys! I actually ended up buying my first couple of ores, but now I will know where to find the stuff!