Is "Smart-texture™" still a thing?

I summon thee, James!

I wanted to ask the devs ( @james ) if they could confirm that “Smart-textures™” are still being considered as something that could happen?

Wait wait wait, what are “Smart-textures™”?

So, “Smart-Textures™” would be something similar to what happens with the ornated glass panes, how the texture changes depending on the presence of adjacent similar panes.

You know how a block like Refined Stone has drawn-out edges forcing you to see each block as a ‘separate entity’.
Now imagine that you could place these blocks and the edges would disappear where they connect with similar blocks.

How would that work?

Would all blocks with ‘drawn-out edges’ need to have a “Smart-texture™” variant? Or could this be achieved via a forged chisel?
Or would all blocks with ‘drawn-out edges’ be retroactively changed to have “Smart-textures™”? I can imagine some people would push against that. Although, I don’t think I would be against that myself.

#SmartTextures™

7 Likes

I love the ornate glass stuff, one of my favorite blocks in the game. I’d love to see more ‘smart textures’ like them.

2 Likes

Hopefully we see it in some stuff more, like rugs etc. If it is some build in system it might be possible to mod own patterns in future :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Two blocks I think would definitely gain a lot with re-written smart texture):

1. Refined sedimentary: I really don’t know why it’s not made like sedi rock pattern, merging across several blocks. I don’t use this block in building because it looks bad with the cracks not merging into one larger pattern.
  2. Refined gleam: I use it a lot (even though I like raw gleam merging better). I would love to be able to make a larger refined gleam surface where the otline of each separate block is gone to create smooth surface).
1 Like

I use these A LOT for cornerstones, or to make the niches or slots we see at the top of defense walls in castles. Not sure what the english word for these is. We say “Créneau” in french.

I used to put a lot of Refined gleam in my build before we got Decorative Gleam.
I only did it because it was way more shiny.
But I never understood how it was supposed to be “refined”, with all the cracks. It looks all broken, compared to the natural gleam that looks all nice and smooth.

Nonetheless, if Refined gleam has “Smart-texture™”, I’d use it again.

3 Likes

battlement is the word for the wall/tower top part with gaps for observing/shooting

I think a lot of English terms in medieval (and beyond) architecture (be it military or religious or any other type) come from French anyway.

2 Likes

I want fishy mosaic to have this! And also rotation variants

Crenels/Crenellations