Item Grouping

Hi… I was hoping someone could explain why item grouping doesn’t seem to work very well. I understand that different planets have different colors of rocks. So, for example, your igneous rock has a different color so it might not stack over another of the same rock to make a group of 99. So, you will end up with like 56 of them from Berlyn, and 23 from Vuplto because of color.

What I am trying to understand, though, is why I find many cases where the rock looks exactly the same in color but still refuses to stack to 99. I know on some planets the rocks look the same so I figured they would stack. But it’s like I find many situations where I seem to have small numbers that will never group up even if I try them on various stone groups of same color.

I hope I explained right and maybe I could have tips on how to solve this…

1 Like

This is a known issue. Each planet has its own rock - even if they look the same (this also applies to everything crafted with those rocks).

The best way to “group” them is to have one smart stack for your odds and ends and then stack all your piles of 99 together.

5 Likes

Two blocks of the same type and color have different color index if they are from different planets. Thus the game sees them as different. They simply have different identification code from the point of view of the game. This way the game still recognizes that a certain cream gleam block comes from one moon and the other cream gleam block is from another.

3 Likes

Thanks… that is what I thought. I can see how it makes sense in some ways but in others it really is frustrating that you can’t stack via color at least. “Planet” isn’t clearly as important as the “color”…

Are there any plans to fix this ever?

I think as more planets are introduced, it will be more useful as not all blocks on a planet will be different to the other ones but still want to want to retain some properties like its hitpoints, etc.

I do agree though that it’s a pain to organize things. Most of all of when they have the same color AND the same name. I hope there will be a better way to differentiate blocks. Something like “Metamorphic Rock I, Metamorphic Rock II” or better if it just clearly mention what planet it came from “Metamorphic Rock (Vulpto)”.

Selling rocks on a request basket is also a pain as the requested block looks the same but with “Color: 56” and I don’t know what mine is. Now, I believe there is a way somewhere like a debug to know this info and I want to believe it will be made more obvious in the next updates.

1 Like

I think this would be really nice, but there are also more refined items like storage blocks that doesn’t stack together because of the same reason. It would look a bit weird with “Storage Block (Therka)” maybe that information would be better suited in the tooltip?

1 Like

Great ideas on the response. I created a suggestion topic for this:

https://forum.playboundless.com/t/grouping-of-items-via-planet-over-color-id/9489