It's official

My nephew had a friend over tonight and they wanted to play Minecraft…couldn’t convince them to play boundless so I gave in and played with them. First time I’ve played Minecraft since starting boundless and I gotta say…Minecraft just sucks in comparison. I think I’m officially done with Minecraft forever. It was a fun run but bigger and better is finally officially here and I couldn’t be happier about it. Well done boundless devs…well done.

19 Likes

I spent so long playing Minecraft, and still love it to this day, but the art direction and community in Boundless make it an easy choice when it comes to which one I’d rather play.

That said, there are two features in particular from Minecraft I sorely miss, and wish were a part of Boundless in some form or another;

• Farming

As a duo, me and my friend would assign tasks when setting up our base. One would go out mining for materials to further our progression, while the other would maintain a constant food supply via farming. By the end our farms would be so elaborate and cleverly made - the farming aspect was a game within itself.

• Switches and Logic Gates (Redstone)

I originally thought Boundless didn’t need any form of contraptions like those found in Minecraft or Starbound, but during the construction of Spitter’s Maw something was definitely missing.

Even with something as ‘simple’ as switches, I could have made some mind bending logic puzzles. Not to mention the ideas I had for a duo teamwork maze; where one would have to go on alone to open a door for the other, which in turn blocked them off from progressing until their friend returned the favour.

I’m rambling again! Basically, I prefer Boundless by a long shot, but there are features of Minecraft I wish had their own form in Boundless.

17 Likes

I think Boundless (mainly because its MMO aspect) is for more mature audience. Like when you switch from lego to modelling.

4 Likes

Funny, cause my only encounter with Minecraft and only time I gave it a go was when my nephew asked me to play with him. And even though there was no Boundless then, I could never play it on my own (the same for any other game out there). I simply find it quite ugly and it’s one of the major features that make a game attractive to me. I need to be lured aesthetically to play.

I didn’t want to play any sandbox games that are not even close to my ideal of how an open world should look like, and I was ready to wait for that one game to arrive sometime in foreseeable future. And Boundless has eventually arrived - really my cup of tea.

Yeah, there is this thing with nephews and Minecraft though… :grin:

7 Likes

I originally bought Minecraft for my youngest nephew. I’d heard of it, but hadn’t played it myself. He loved it and still plays it now, though I’d find myself snatching the controller out of his hands more often than not;

‘No, no, let’s build this like this!’

9 Likes

I did the whole thing backwards. Boundless was my first and I just recently started playing Minecraft. I’m enjoying it, but Boundless has my heart. :smile:

13 Likes

Yep +1 to everything @Pseudonym84 said, Boundless has something much more special about it and the community make the game even more awesome. Although I must say, I use Minecraft to practice builds I make in Boundless so I’m at least almost competent, but that’s just because they have creative mode :slight_smile:

10 Likes

@Steggs101 try MagicaVoxel It’s much faster than mc, and you can use copy paste, rotate selection, flip selection etc. I also used mc for planning but even creative has its limitations :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The more I play this game the more I love it! It has been the best game I played in a long while, the expercience so far is really enjoiable. Especially due to community!
I’ve never been in a community so friendly and helpful. (Devs, please make sure updates improve this in some way - A proximity voice chat can work).
Every time I say “Hi” to someone in game is a new experience, people actually stop to talk, help me with doubts and show me their buildings. It’s just awesome!
I’d like to say more, but I will retain it for a topic about my game experience overall ^^

Now about Boundless & Minecraft.
Both my brother (11 yo) and sister (3 yo) asked if I was playing Minecraft… My brother even thought I was Minecraft with shadders or something haha.

Minecraft is too popular to not describe Boundless as Minecraft + MMO + Beautiful. It’s kinda hard to explain why is so much better…
I’d say I’m really loving the game due to community, the lore/universe (I have Minecraft “lore”) and probably due to the things I already don’t know.
In my Minecraft I consider myself a tech player, building auto farms for everthing, redstone contraptions and knowing everygame mechanic to exploit in some way, and I don’t feel like playing Minecraft anymore… I think the game have few challanges, after certain point, the game became too easy too fast.
I’m loving Boundless because it’s hard somehow, but this dificulty is overcome by the community helping you.

Devs, sorry for saying so much about the community and not thanking you. The fact is that without how the game was designed this friendly community would not exist.

I myself always dreamed about a Minecraft + MMO that forces players to cooperate. I actually started developing it, did the scripts to terrain and mesh generation, add and remove voxel mechanics and even started multiplayer (here where things get crazy haha).
But know I think… Boundless might be this game!

Ok, final toughts:

Yes please.

Yes please.

I’m using Minecraft with mods (for vertical half slabs and chisel) and changing textures by hand.
I’m not used to MagicaVoxel tho :confused: Thats why

12 Likes

I’m telling you…I truly believe that boundless is on its way to become one of the biggest games on the market. And we all have front row seats :grin:

9 Likes

Front row seats?

better, we are the actors :sunglasses:

8 Likes

I’ve said it before and I’ve said it now. Boundless is the next game changer in terms of Voxel games, but now I think it’s gonna be for Sandbox and MMO too.

Minecraft on console was my first inmersion into voxel games, what it did? It assured me I liked those kind of games, but I couldn’t play it for longer than 2 hours. I didn’t enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I’ve had a lot of fun with building games previously. So when Oort Online rolled around I felt the need to follow.

I guess I made the right decision back then, too much fun to have in Boundless.

8 Likes

Well, hard and good (I say challenging) games always get more long-term reputation than easy and good games (like… Praise the Sun yo! \[T]/), and Boundless devs are on the right way!

6 Likes

Couldn’t agree with you more brother !!!
I haven’t played boundless yet, but from my adiction to player’s videos I already love it and prefer it to Minecraft, I still think boundless is every MC veteran’s dream.
But I would surely loooove some automatic gates, or automatic farms, or mob traps, etc… All Made with redstone

4 Likes