Just bought a PS4 because of Boundless

First of all the Keyboard. You normally chat a lot in an MMO. I don’t know about the PS4 but on the PS3 it was a trip to hell and back if you wanted to write anything. And I don’t think a Keyboard is included in the PS4.

Second the precision. Well we don’t know anything about how you want to do combat and how precise one has to be/maneuver. (precision also applies to building but there it’s not a matter of live and death if you missclick because a controller is worse for pointing than a mouse.)
But they once let PC and console Battlefield players play against each other. The console pros got beaten to pulp by mediocre PC players.

I’ll add more if I can think of more but those are the main points for the moment.

p.s. [quote=“james, post:35, topic:3005”]
@ben is really commenting on his personal platform of preference for playing
[/quote]

I would have said the same to everyone^^ dev or not dev. well not exactly the same but the gist would be the same^^

1 Like

We have thought about this - Sony offer quite a bit of guidance for communication systems with the controller. We’ll definitely explore this. The schemes often allow players to communicate with a range of standard phrases. This is also useful to allow players of different languages to communicate / trade / etc. (Obviously players can also plug in a keyboard.)

We’ve also thought about this. Luckily we’re not making a pure FPS. We’re developing in parallel with mouse+keyboard and controller. So during development we can keep a close eye on the balance between them.

3 Likes

VoIP for da win!

‘‘if you have to balance out two systems you need to cater to the lowest common denominator’’ i think is something like that. i like the idea of ps4 having it (my friend have a bad pc but we are having a blast playing FF14 crossplatform, me on pc and him on ps4) so it definitely opens up for options that werent there before.

i think the problem mentioned by Kuma might be something along the lines of if you want to make an action combat system which doesnt allow aim assist or hard target, then controllers are usually inferior, and if you have to balance something its easier to make one thing more inferior than make the other more superior.

i personally dont mind it being on ps4 though.

But then they already have a keyboard and most likely a PC on which they can play Oort^^
And yes the emotes and phrases will be a help but can obviously not replace a keyboard.
It might be a reason for a split between the two communities.

Balance is good as long as you don’t have to sacrifice something because Oort will also be on the PS4.

Not Oort, Boundless

2 Likes

Oort is shorter^^

The devs went the distance in rebranding the game and getting it announced, it seems only fair that we can take an extra 0.37 seconds to add 5 letters :wink:

1 Like

Oort is short for Boundless. And I think I’ll always use the shorter version. But go ahead^^ Do it.

Pulling off mouse and keyboard and controller in a pve setting has been done several times before. I have played multiple games using both and though they were enjoyable. Although I’m curious how the console players will communicate. Voice chat is shall we say a dicey proposition.

As far as pvp goes people will also just use the tools that give them the best advantage. Welcome to competition. I have yet to see this balanced for pvp successfully without some form of bulls**t. Shadow run I’m looking at you. And I’m still mad you ruined that chance to open the door to cross platform play.

The real challenge is not making this work with a controller. What I’m excited to see is the user interface on a tablet. How grappling and Titans will be done there interest me.

But it’s a challenge nonetheless. And a very lucrative one if they solve it.

1 Like

Nah, Bless is short for Boundless :smiley:

2 Likes

Hm, that’s worth thinking about^^

If we have some form of combat based PvP I expect it’s going to be pretty casual, for fun and friendly scraps. We’re likely going to have a wide array of highly variable sandbox weaponry, progression, and cross-platform play, none of which is very well suited to balanced PvP. So Team Fortress 2 this won’t be (not will we try to make it).

1 Like

It seems Rock, Paper, Shotgun didn’t get this memo :wink:

2 Likes

To be fair, this sounds so much more awesome.

1 Like

What is “this”? Ben’s post, or Rock, Paper, Shotgun’s section?

Rock, paper, shotgun’s section xD

think it would be pretty cool for certain pvp worlds (which i still hope to get)

2 Likes

It’s possible they read into some of our text there, but the feel is right. Fighting over territory might be more of a beacon/land struggle rather than actual combat.

We’re just trying to set an expectation for PvP: it’s going to be in the game in some form, it’ll be for fun and we’re not going to attempt to balance out the cool (but crazy) stuff players might be able to do because it’s not really in the spirit of a sandbox.

3 Likes

Yeah, I agree. This framework lends itself to PvE content more, if your mechanics are flat enough you wont notice the difference.

I think Terraria showed some of the challenges with PvP in a game the has a large degree of progression.

Perhaps the game should not focus on territorial conquest on players homes, IE Factions. Instead one possibility is that we designate a PvP world with objectives to be fought over in a more king of the hill style of gameplay. The world could be swapped out periodically to keep the challenges the construction of bases fresh and interesting. perhaps items or loot could be a driving force to encourage players to participate. Also this might allow for timed events to be coordinated to gather players together for an event versus random ganking.

1 Like