Just Some Random Thoughts

I’m getting to the point where I don’t even shop anymore. I toss up a few request baskets, send some word, and that’s that. It’s been weeks since I’ve even tried shopping, and usually the prices are not right if I even find what I need. Might as well just go get it myself or tag along on a hunt.

Exo planets seemed like a perfect way to inject some life into the market, but it doesn’t look that way now, aside from the sale of rift, blink, and umbris, and the occasional rock or plant. Everything seems so watered down in the late game. Starting the game fresh more than 8 months ago was great. Everything was hard to get on my own, and I really appreciated that slow and steady balance, but things were also harder for high level players then, too. Fast forward to now and everything seems just a bit too easy.

Back on shopping, I find scarcity to be madly relevant to a bustling market. The market is a big part of this game, but without risky ventures promising truly ultra-rare items, and putting some limits on just how much can be gathered using the available tools, foods, and brews, I just don’t see how a true market really has a place. This game is screaming for better and more rpg elements. Elements like dungeons and tough bosses, or block formations that take tons of hits to break, but can contain super rare blocks and items.

Well, those things would be nice, but for now, I would be quite satisfied with harder to acquire items so trade has more relevance.

1 Like

Yeah I’ll take this moment to mention again that I personally think request baskets should be dropped. It’s an interesting mechanic but very hurtful to the development of a functional economy.

I’d gladly participate in the resource market if it was easier. It took me 2 weeks to buy a few hundred gems at current market prices. I hate gathering some resources, love others. Why make it so hard to reliably and fast trade them to other resources. Now I have to plan days ahead if I want to buy at a competitive price (read: not overpay too much)

Is there a reason we can’t have this? At least for non-forged stuff. Currently it’s faster to just gather the stuff you want than trade for it.

Maybe remove the instant delivery and replace with a waypoint system that’ll show you the portal route to it. The servers must have info on all active portals, so make a salesman/equivalent search for the approximately shortest route to it and add waypoints to the UI.

2 Likes

I wish there was an auction house like in wow or runescape. This is so convenient and really good for competition.

I have no shop anymore. It costs me much more to keep up portals than I gain. Rather just make post on forum and discord.

1 Like

While we’re being random maybe they could do something about this:

Seriously? I think if I ever saw anyone having this it would just tell me they run macros.

3 Likes

Repeqt what you have done only 9 more times. But in reality, that is not so hard to do. Just get 1m rock and craft it 1 by 1 with autoclick. 28800 per inventory

Wow, you’ve done it a lot. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

At this point i set up baskets so i don’t need to stop around. Reason I do is because of my own opportunity cost - sure I could spend an hour harvesting X but its cheaper to spend 1/3 the time setting out request baskets, buying raw materials and then selling coils for a profit, leaving more time to do what i like most - build.

1 Like

Would request baskets that let you offer goods in exchange for goods be a good idea?

I want diamonds, and I hate mining, but I’ve got marble that I will trade for diamonds. Allowing you to trade without having to be there at the exact same moment as the other person.

1 Like

Yeah, I have no need for a feat that proves I can install an autoclicker though.

Also

99 more times.

1 Like

Too specific imo, coin is meant to be used as the currency to do exactly that.

@Vansten me too, but it still takes a while for people to find and sell to the baskets if you don’t have a popular shop that’s well stocked so people visit. The budgets have to be large too, not many will bother to trade just a few coins worth of materials.

1 Like

I still blame alt’s (and skill pages) :stuck_out_tongue:
If people can do ‘everything’ by themselves, it removes their actions from the market, or allows them to BE the market and set their own prices.

Sure enough now and then you come across a good little independent store/stands every now and then, but they aren’t always replenished regularly.

2 Likes

But I’m saying even though I have 5 max level alts, which include a miner and a forger, so I forge my own tools and can mine well, I’d still buy the gems instead of gather them myself since I don’t like mining. The problem is that shopping is more work than mining.

4 Likes

Sorry if the little edit changes the meaning. But, yeah. This is a big part of it. Also, the noise from people putting out baskets with silly prices on them to get around certain rules.

There’s a little bit of comparison between request baskets and buy orders on commodity markets or auction houses. And I think they MIGHT have a place in a healthy economy. But to date, and in my opinion, the uses they have been put to in large part have frustrated people tremendously, and put a lot of noise into any attempt to firm up markets.

Vansten no offense intended or anyone who uses their baskets to create a real market. Specifically you’re not usually a lowballer and you don’t have tens or hundreds of baskets out asking for things you don’t really want at ridiculous prices trying to catch someone when they’re desperate.

There are delivery services and other things around in real life, but those people do business at their own, fixed prices. And they don’t have to go randomly down streets checking at everyone’s door to see if the homeowner wants anything they have to sell, judging random prices for viability and/or opportunity cost. Maybe skipping around to the back porch too since some people would rather leave their baskets out back.

Orders in a centralized auction house don’t have the time cost and they offer a great deal more transparency regarding what’s available in a centralized market, and the actual prices where supply is meeting demand. Request baskets obscure this information rather than clarify it. There is some basis for comparison here but it’s certainly not 1:1.

I’d be happy to be educated but I’m not aware of any successful economy that has included this sort of thing as a primary mechanic. I’m not even sure how it would be viable for any large group.

With all of that said, I think they could be a great boon to an otherwise healthy economy. But together with the pressures of footfall and some other things here in boundless they’ve been a huge barrier to economic development. I’m braced for some flack on this but, just sharing my honest opinion here.

There are people that pay good prices and use baskets to run steady shops, buying mats and other items the consistently need. And those people are quickly recognized by the active player base IMO.

I like this idea, it’s very different. I’ve never played a game or participated in a real or virtual economy that facilitated barter like this.

However it’s only going to continue to be an additional barrier to a coin economy and that is what most people know and crave. And the devs are adding more coin generation and more coin sinks to make this even more necessary. I would 100% support this idea into a non-coin economy. In parallel, even though I like it, I think it would cause more trouble here.

I think you might be amazed at how many people would choose not to do everything if we had a stable market. If I put out a request basket, you can bet there are shop stands selling for less. I buy bones steadily for 1c or less even while my basket sits there paying 1.5c each and not touched for nearly a month now.

Even while someone else fills an order at 0.75c!

I’m just saying if we could ditch request baskets for a while, a real market economy would develop quickly, and of necessity. I don’t think they’re ‘bad’ in any fundamental way, but they can and have been used badly and at this point they’re a huge obstacle to this economy. They are heavily used (again no offense to our real market makers intended) to create footfall traps, and to express the disrespect that most people have for other people’s time.

/rant. Sorry …

2 Likes

This hits the nail on the head for a lot of things in the game for me. Boundless has a lot of information that is obscure in-game, and though some in-game descriptors give good insight into some aspects, a lot are inconsistent.

I won’t go into detail with that unless someone wants me to, but more on topic, it’s difficult, especially for new or returning players, to gauge the correct worth of an item, because the popular or highly attractive in-game locations aren’t necessarily reflecting the market prices, though there are a few that do, and some that definitely do their best to provide goods at incredibly decent rates.

The problem, in my view, is you still have to know the places, and it takes a long time to move from one place to another until you are well familiar with a player-built area. Not everyone has the time or the memory for that. And then, there’s no guarantees that shops won’t change or move, etc.

I’ll stop here otherwise I’ll lose what little coherence I have. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My bad, on phone it looked like 100k :sweat_smile: but there are worse ones than that one imo :sweat_smile:

1 Like