Knowledge Improvements

New player… loving the game… two things I find myself wishing for daily, and wouldn’t be overly difficult to implement I imagine:

1. A key-combo to jump from an item in your inventory to it’s Knowledge entry
  2. A way to go “back” to a previous Knowledge entry, like if you clicked an ingredient and now want to jump back to the item you were viewing

(I’m hoping someone chimes in with hey those things already exist lol, fingers crossed)

4 Likes

This I particularly would want to see.

Even expanded a little, so as you say, but in every machine crafting recipe there is a link to the items knowledge tab as well.

In fact, just anytime the game presents you with an item then there is a link to its knowledge tab.

2 Likes

ohh this would be so amazing!!

…for PC players.
and cumbersome for ps4 players… (or maybe hard to implement… i’m not used to using controllers to play games like this.) (not sure how i ever thought minecraft was good to play on a controller. ahh my noob days.)

I play on ps4, the game could contextually change the L3 button, so if you are hovering over or have selected an item in inventory, etc, it takes you to the items knowledge tab.

Nice and simple, and no too cumbersome!

2 Likes

I was just about to post a new topic to suggest this idea. Then I saw this topic, so I’ll add my ideas here.

The great thing about the Knowledge tab is that clicking on an ingredient within a recipe will take you to the Knowledge entry for that ingredient. So, if I want to make Teaching Pies, I can click on the Purified Butter ingredient to learn about how to make that. And, if I forgot how to get the Bucket of Purified Milk that’s required for Purified Butter, then I can click on that ingredient to remind myself about the Charcoal and Gravel that are required to purify a Bucket of Milk in the Extractor.

When looking at the crafting interface of a machine, this ability to click through to see the recipes of ingredients is not available (which makes sense because those ingredients might be crafted in a different machine). This is why we need a quick way to switch to the Knowledge tab.

1. So, as suggested by the people above me, I would like to be able to jump to the Knowledge section of any item that I’m looking at in my inventory or from in a crafting machine recipe. In the case of crafting machines, switching to the Knowledge tab would probably have to cancel the interaction with the machine but I’m fine with this.

My second suggestion for the Knowledge tab relates to search:

1. The amount of items listed in the Knowledge tab is enormous and scrolling to find a specific item can be quite tedious. I would like to be able to start typing the name of an item to filter the list. So, if I start typing an “r”, the list would immediately be reduced to all items with an “r” in their name. If I continue to type “ref”, the list would further reduce. And if I finish typing “refined”, then I should see a list of everything in Boundless that has “refined” in its name.

He have plans for both of these. But due to the fact we are a small team, it has sort of been pushed aside to make room for new content like the exo worlds and farming. We will get these nice Quality of Life improvements into the game soonish, but I cant give an update number yet. :running_man:

3 Likes

Good to know :slight_smile: Thanks for the response.

I just remembered that I had another idea, which I forgot to write about in my last post.

1. The ability to see Bulk craft and Mass craft requirements (where applicable) in the Knowledge tab.

The current system often has me switching back and forth between opening the Knowledge tab and interacting with machines while I try to figure out what I need to get (or craft) before I can do a Bulk or Mass craft of something.