Lags on T7 hunts

We’ve done a few hunts on Rakra now and pretty consistently when the hunt has been going on for a while, everyone involved started reporting lag issues.

The working theory is that it’s related to all the creature drops getting generated and staying in the world, like tallow, meat, bones etc. after people’s inventories are full, which happens pretty quickly due to the loot bonus on T7 creatures, though I seem to recall it happening during particularly long or successful T6 hunts as well.

Maybe creature drops might need a similar treatment as block drops, that being automatic merging, to reduce the processing load.

On the hunt yesterday (footage above) we suggested to manually drop stacks of tallow, bone, etc. in order to keep picking things up and to keep the drops in-world merged and it seemed to get noticeably better (which of course could also have been from people leaving due to the lag or full inventories).

2 Likes

Actually yesterday I was getting some unusual lag while mining there as well! I wonder if the lag is related to some other issues

Around what time? Could it be that the hunt was going on while you were mining? It started around 22 hours ago and went on for about 2 hours.

Could be that it’s not the only issue going on, but so far it’s been very consistently getting worse as soon as the meteor is done (meaning most creature corpses converted into drops) and clearing up on the way to the next meteors (presumably as drops despawn).

I just don’t get this year 2000 issue. The user base is low. Yet here we are having issues like lag. WITH a lot of people using high end computers while running on fios. Servers are pretty cheap now and days.

Sounds about right

I had terrible lag mining during Duskmore’s T7 hunt a few nights ago.

it would be possible, but wont be quite as effective as the block-drop merging unfortunately since creature drops are unique per-player

I can see another problem in the video though, that it looks like a single creature is dropping multiple of the “same” item too… fixing that to drop a stack instead would instantly halve/thirds the number of drops without any merging of drops themselves for creatures!

5 Likes

Sounds like a good start!