Landscape Only Plots

I wasn’t meaning it that traffic shouldn’t affect regen. I just don’t know the exact rules and there are areas that never regen and don’t seem to get much traffic. I just am not sure the 13hrs or whatever is right for something 1-2 spots next to an official plot. Basically I guess I’m saying I don’t know the area of effect. Is regen exactly the same for a wild plot right beside a plot as something 10 away?

We probably need the developers to answer that. I am thinking if one person goes through unoccupied plot or the adjacent plot then it does not regen. That observation and probably not right

Oh dear…I just remembered I logged off in a cave I dug in the wild.

so about that…it actually moved me outside the tunnel I dug when it regenerated. Not sure if this is on purpose or not.

You’ll always be moved to the closest free space above your last location. Free space meaning at least 1 block of air above your head.

When in caves, try this: stand in a spot where you will have a block right above your head. Go to sanctum and enter the portal. You’ll see you got moved up (same N/E coordinates only altitude higher).
It’s an easy way of coming back to surface from any hole.

2 Likes

Necro?

Got me thinking that I’m liking this more than what I used to think but with a little tweak.

Reduce the current plots but with the addition of this “landscape only” plots so garnering more plots in total. My version of landscape plots is different though. I want us to be able to put basic blocks in it (so no machines, other crafted blocks, etc.).

The idea is to limit the creation of empty houses/buildings as they are really the one making the place feels like a ghost town since they tend to mean that “there are people living in this house”. On the other hand, through landscape plots, I would like to encourage landscaping and settlement decoration. This can be used for building a floating island, a nice looking statue in the settlement, lamp posts, roads, or even preserved a hill or tree just like what the OP really wanted.

This probably adds complexity to the system but just wanted it to share my thoughts. Hopefully, this will satisfy as well the needs of the builder for more plots without me arguing back that it will just create ghost towns. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I have a question. Do you mean a plot that can contain nothing that can craft like a workbench, furnace, or other machines? If yes I can support that, maybe the developers can find a way for these devices not to work in these plots. You can place them but they will not function. If you mean no crafted blocks like sedimentary brick, lanterns, or a chiseled block then I am not sure that would let you make things like the statue, or a lamp post. Am I misreading what you said?

I can support some version of what you may be aiming for, but want to make sure I understand.

Actually, I can’t make up my mind regarding that one. My original idea is to only allow naturally occurring blocks (raw) only so no bricks or stones for simplicity of implementation. Also, If we allow crafted blocks and non-functional machines, then people can still create houses with it and worse, they are literally just a build with no function (can’t craft, etc).

I honestly don’t have a definitive answer on this one. :smile: Probably make sure that the build in the plot is not hollow (so no houses)? Allow certain decorative blocks to be placed (but then they’ll just build house again!)?

On the other hand, using raw blocks, we can still create sculptures, lamps (gleam), and roads though they might not be as pretty as we would like it to be. And yes, we can chisel them.

1 Like

While it’s an interesting idea, honestly that is why I kept it simple. Build plots and landscape plots that cannot be touched. This would very likely cut down a majority of the programming even though I can’t be certain since I don’t know the code.

About the only adjustment I could see is that maybe landscape plots can be taller to help with trees but if the ratio of entitlement is decent enough then that won’t matter. Most of Eden is only one plot high unless hills required it to use two. Most trees are only partially protected because it would be way too intense on plot requirements to cover everything.

Yeah, I suddenly share your pain when I saw your Eden as it is REALLY beautiful and the natural landscape adds a lot to that overall look and feels a little unfair to exhaust plots just to protect them. It’s also the same reason why I want us to be able to put naturally occurring blocks in these landscape plots to create artificial hills, trees, etc. if you were not lucky enough to find such beautiful area.

The idea is a little blurry though and it doesn’t seem like a concern big enough (not much attention attracted) to be a feature at least for 1.0.

1 Like

Thank you very much… That means a lot. I am glad you visited and were able to see my point about nature among building. In Eden I told anyone that moved there that nature wins over builds.

Yeah I could see 3 types… natural, slightly adjusted with stuff like you mention to create a tree, etc, then full build type plots.

2 Likes