Language translation - polish

I came across at least a handfull of people of my nationality that struggle with the language barier in Boundless. The main one is my wife who can’t speak english at all, but she loves Boundless so much she keeps playing it without knowing what means what… :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve got some experience in modding and translating other games and I’ve noticed you’ve made other language files available already. Although I doubt you’d be translating it to polish (which is my native language) anytime soon. And there are a few of us Poles out there…

So… is it or would it be possible to include a community made language translation?
I could do it even all alone. I took a glance at the files and it doesn’t seem any more difficult than in other games. My time spent on explaining everything to my wife over and over could be used for greater things… :stuck_out_tongue:

P.S. If not, then would it be possible to use such translation for private purposes? I’m desperate…

12 Likes

I think that is a wonderful idea!

5 Likes

We would happily accept a community translation of the game. But it would be a significant undertaking.

If there is interest then we could publish a process for community submissions.

Is there anyone in the community who would be interested in helping to manage the process?

8 Likes

You can count me in. I’ve done game translations before.

@Karokendo ?
@Hashmalash ?

5 Likes

I already checked out translation files. Would love to contribute.
@Psyborg Main language json has 10.9k lines of text so we would have to split it in some way, give each person 2-3k lines of text and then after work is done verify it all.

All language files are located in Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Boundless\assets\archetypes\strings

We would have to hook up on skype and define polish definitions of various words like timber, smart stack etc… But I’m definitely up for that :slightly_smiling_face:
Let’s see how many people we have…

5 Likes

Afaik that should be pretty easy, i re-translated the German File cause it was mostly just idiocracy xD…

I would just get myself as Example the French File in %your steam path%\steamapps\common\Boundless\assets\archetypes\strings and make it polish :P… Its a bit confusing then to have to switch to french to get polish, but it would get the job done xD

The File itself is super self explanatory :wink:

If you guys need help i’m down… but can’t speak polish :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Maybe google translate the whole thing and then proof read it. I bet it would save alot of time, but you’d still have to decide on the naming of certain things, like you said.

anyone going to translate it into toki pona? xD

Oh please, Google translate is the worst idea!

I would be down to help for Dutch but idk if the Dutch speaking community has a need to a translated version?

1 Like

For translating sentences, maybe, but for single word items it would be great. Besides, i don’t know if you checked recently, but google translate is much more accurate than it was a couple of years ago in translating whole paragraphs.

1 Like

Google Translate isn’t smart enough, I’m afraid…

4 Likes

@Raziels01 @HueJanus @Mittekemuis

The amount of translation isn’t an issue, really. The main problem in translating games from english into languages with completely different grammar is just about how to make the translation be accurate and yet sound like normal language used everyday.

Oh, that and making it fit into the frames and textboxes….

1 Like

im up for it :slight_smile: ill gladly help with this

1 Like

ive done some transaltion as well :slight_smile:

Count me in if I can be of help with polish translation.

1 Like

have not seen anybody asking since i started playing
not gonna offer help i speak Flemish dialect lol
dont think people need that :smile:

I can make a list which improve the german translation :slight_smile: German is my mother language. I see a lot of things that not named well :wink:

I would. I told you, told @olliepurkiss, told @Faelan, @Steggs101 and @SamF for many times. No one time I got answer.

I’ve edited the topic to better suit the subject …

1 Like

Alright, it’s been 2 busy weeks for me but getting back to the subject.

@james

We’re at least 4 volounteers and that’s completely sufficient for the translation. The main proces will be refinement anyway, as it needs to sound properly. Please let me know wheter you can provide us some files for translation we could send you back once it’s done, so you could implement it, or should we rather start working on the existing game files.

We would need later to test it in-game to check for word and phrases lenght and change it eventually so it’d fit the designed space. However as I’ve noticed, the game allows only the western european characters, which makes the rest of special characters from other european languages not being displayed properly (for polish it’s: ĘÓĄŚŁŻŹĆŃ).