Leaving a settlement

Hey guys,

Recently i’ve began playing Boundless again with a friend.
And we wanted to make our own settlement.

But now when we walk toward our homes, we automatically joined another settlement.
How can we leave the settlement so we can start our own?

Is your build already part of that settlement? Or just the surrounding area? People try super hard not to annex, so if your build isn’t part of that settlement, walk around it and maybe you can find the side that isn’t claimed. You could also disattach from that settlement by unplotting 3 plots back. I have a build on Therka I was given and I considered doing this, but didn’t want to upset anyone, and given my history it may come across spiteful when I don’t intend it to be, but we can’t help what people think.

Beyond that you could relocate? I started my settlement on Solum and now I wish I hadn’t because I’ve seen all the other planets.

1 Like

Also if you’re that close to a settlement that sucked you in, moving a little may not be enough. When you or they start to grow more, they will meet again and the game makes you two one. Honestly you will most likely need to find another location.

2 Likes

I’ve had the same problem, luckily I had enough plots already claimed coming out from my main build that I was able to reclaim these and create a 4 plot gap between me and them … i then placed a beacon next to there perimeter and reclaimed a row of plots along it to create a kind of fire break … The row of plots became part of there settlement (but with virtually no prestige) this then allowed the 3 plot gap to disconnect my build from them … so far luckily they haven’t placed a beacon in the gap to break the 3 plot gap and reconnect us … personally I think we should have the option on our beacons to opt in or out of merging with neighbouring builds.

3 Likes

So, something really strange happened… They to biggest contributors left the settlement!
So my friend and I now own the settlement, yay for us!

2 Likes

It may have been that they really didn’t mean any harm and when they realized they were encroaching, they withdrew. Many of the people here are really nice. Glad it all worked out for you.

1 Like

Just make sure your build has the highest prestige value. Then you will own the entire settlement. Just remember that each natural non crafted block is -1 prestige (except gleam and flowers, and I think grass has 0 prestige). The more time you have to put into a block, the higher the prestige value of that block.

1 Like

The next update includes a modified Settlement algorithm that will hopefully eliminate a proportion of these “road merged” settlements.

10 Likes

Yes yes yes!
Can’t wait to see how it plays out.

It would still be nice to have the option to not be absorbed at all if you don’t want to be.

Did this ever happen? I have been playing 300+ hours and my settlement got absorbed by a neighbor that kept placing plots until it touched mine. My vision of what I am building is not the same as theirs and I would like to be my own settlement, attracting players who like my theme. Being forced to join a settlement where the styles don’t match does not make sense. There should be an option to opt out of joining. I see this post is from 9 months ago. Was there any progress made towards this? I have all 10 character slots unlocked and have used my combined plots to make my settlement which is now absorbed. Picking up and moving after putting this much effort in is disheartening and has me unmotivated to continue building (which is the entire point of the game).

Also if I just remove 3 plots worth of my own plots, it won’t work because they built a straight line claiming all land up to my settlement. So if I move it back 3 plots, they will just claim those plots. Also, it will mess up my build. I don’t have 3 plots to spare because it would ruin what I have built already.

The update I believe did happen, but I don’t think it is 100% fix. If you can get in contact with them you could see if they would back off. The incoming guild system includes settlement settings if I am understanding correctly, it will make it so settlements that are touching will be able to be separate in how they are counted. I hope this helps :slight_smile: