Let us move at full speed while creeping (but not fall off blocks)

You’re not helping your argument by essentially saying that you are the authority on this and if somebody doesn’t agree with you, their opinion isn’t valid.

Way too dramatic. Nothing of the sort has been said.

This is why so many of your suggestions go sideways. People disagree with you and you throw a fit. I’m not saying there isn’t a problem, or that your problem isn’t valid. I’m saying your solution isn’t one i agree with.

The “this isn’t creative mode” argument comes from the simple fact that this isn’t creative mode. Not everything can be made better by making it easier. If you want things made easier, just wait for creative mode. If everything is easy, nothing is an achievement.

You can though. You can just jump.

While i do think it’s negligible, that’s not actually what i meant. What i meant is that the amount of cases where it’s a disadvantage to have full-speed-creep on, are negligible.

Special run/walk modes should be that. Special. Used in specific cases. If you introduce one that’s more useful in general, with only small cases where it’s not an advantage, you may aswell just get rid of walking in the first place.

1 Like

I’m not saying your opinion isn’t valid. But since I know you’re not a big builder, it seems unfair for you to say it absolutely shouldn’t be in game and leave it at that. I know you’re a smart guy who probably has good reasoning. I would love to hear it. And I think that having spent a few hours building floors till your fingers hurt gives some helpful perspective. For example: why would such a change hurt the game? People have also suggested the ability to place 8x8 blocks at once for a floor or wall. Would this be bad too?

I DO think criticism means more when those people have some perspective and experience.

1 Like

I recently built a huge goo farm, and a huge prestige dump. Both have taken me days to build. I know very well what it is like to lay floors and roads for hours. There are ways around this. And even if there aren’t:

If everything is easy, nothing is an achievement.

3 Likes

Fair enough.

I’m personally having RSI problems though. I’d like to keep building cool stuff. It would be nice if it didn’t injure me (and others).

2 Likes

As someone who builds big and builds in the sky, I don’t think creep should be full movement while still not allowing you to fall off the edge. Creep is your character being careful to purposely not fall off an edge. It is not a magic inertia control button that just stops you cold while sprinting at an edge.

5 Likes

Maybe there could be some sort of compromise.

I’ve always thought it’s weird that your character will walk straight off a cliff. Humans are capable of walking a 1 meter wide ledge without falling off either side.

Perhaps walking is cautious (can’t fall), running is incautious?

1 Like

I rarely need to creep and rarely fall off the edge of my builds. I find it pretty easy not to walk off the edges by knowing where the edge is located. The same way we do in real life. If I am worried about it, I just grapple the ground.

Edit: its actually easier in game because your controller is a magic inertia device.

Clearly you have never visited my settlement.

I am not at all opposed to it. I merely agree when Suji says that to remove the reduced movement speed it has to come at a cost. For instance, here is an idea:

Add an Epic Skill which allows you to creep without any loss of movement speed.

Currently, you choose to either move slow and remain safe from falling off blocks or move faster at the risk of falling. Make it a skill which requires 5 points invested into and players still have to make a choice.

I’m sorry that you feel as if you are suffering from RSI from building too much, try take a 5 minute break every 30 minutes or so and do some wrist exercises. I would highly recommend doing a google search on RSI prevention, because it is not a joke and will cause you long term suffering if you don’t take steps to prevent it.

4 Likes

Can’t you look straight down. And hold the block placement button and walk backwards at full speed or even with a speed brew? You only have to be careful when your changing each 100 stack cause there’s a second delay. I only know this from watching Legend do it at hyper speed changing the floors at legendville.

Yeah it’s a case of balancing your dexterity with your agility. I believe with the builders guild buff you can even do it while running forward? I could be wrong.

Great idea here as well as great advice.

1 Like

You can even run when doing it. Sadly I lack the dexterity and fall too much. But it can be done.

@wakeNbake beat me to it but I was going to say, if you really want a compromise it would probably require it to become an epic. Maybe we could get another set of epic skills. One for each profession. Builders could have an epic to make it so movement speed isn’t lost while creeping. Maybe miners can add a second layer to the adjacent blocks being mined, if you use a single hit hammer it mines 2 blocks deep, if you use an AOE hammer, instead of 9 blocks at a time it’s 18 (maybe that’s too OP) gatherers could maybe keep the source item (like fungus) while also getting the resources (like the shimmering orbs and lamella) at the same time so you don’t need to either use an axe or shovel to choose resources or source plant. Etc.

I’d love to see some builder epic skills.

AoE block placement could also be used for farmers.