Let's talk Color rarity

The whole point of the creative worlds is to enable people to be as creative as they want to be. That includes building with any colors they want. One of the only differences between them and the regular worlds, like it or not, is the economy so of course that is going to be a central issue. I doubt everyone who has gathered stacks upon stacks of rare colors to build and sell with would think highly of making those colors freely available now.

2 Likes

Eh, I’ve seen that arguement (for want of a better word) and it’s not the most convincing. Devs can’t change things casue someone might lose their market hold…well we survived black gleam, I’m betting we can survive more :wink:

2 Likes

Alienating your hardcore player-base is a recipe for a game to fail. This game is already niche, low on population, and desperate for growth. Doing something that in any way discourages people from playing the game should have some significant benefits attached to it and I don’t see how giving people all the rare colors is going to be such a benefit. I’m not sure what you have against a healthy economy but it is a crucial aspect of most MMOs and shop stands are one of the pillars of gameplay in Boundless. As far as I understand it, the only argument you are providing in favor of removing color rarity is wanting to have all the rare things in a game mode specifically designed around scarcity.

1 Like

As someone who has spent 100s if not 1000s of hours collecting goo and building massive goo farms, remove colour scarcity without improving the goo to paint ratio… I would be gone, it would be a massive slap in the face.

I’m all for being able to paint anything and improving the goo to paint ratio, but unlocking every colour, in my opinion, would ruin an aspect of the game. You may as well make the whole game creative mode, which doesn’t appeal to me at all.

4 Likes

If the new development team implements the changes in test release 249, then the goo paint ratio is improved.

An argument could be made that the game has already failed as in its current state it has failed to attract and keep enough players for the former publisher to earn enough revenue to even pay for the servers used to run the game. I would argue that keeping the existing player base happy is probably secondary to finding a way to make the game more attractive to more players.

Color rarity already discourages some players from playing and by allowing for players to produce building materials in any color you increase the range of products that can be sold and crafted.

Wrong, the argument is that color should not be the basis for rarity in a game with building at its core. Should there be rare blocks? Yes there should and as an example I provided a picture of the glyph blocks that were available in early access. We also have materials that only occur on EXo planets making them more rare also. I would think more rare blocks that could be crafted (at great material cost) or mined or earned as a trophy or dropped from meteors would benefit the game and provide enough rare materials for the game.

1 Like

I actually wouldnt mind 1. working with goo so we get more per planting and being able to pain all the things. 2. a slightly more consistant color exo (including gleambow colors-as many people note you may only get a few pieces here or there).
Not ON the regular…a couple times a year. THen if I wanna stay awake for 24 hours staring at the screen every two minutes, at least i ahve a chance of SOME.
I wandered around this week and bought some Santa colors I can work with. As soon as I can find my mojo, Christmas is a go. But, girls jsut wanna have fun and the fact that the ony lavender gleam I have ever had is about 30 pieces from the kindess of forum posters is both heart warming and frustrating.

I see where you’re coming from but I guess the disagreement stems from how I think that rarity enhances the gameplay instead of detracting from it.

I like the idea of making goo and spray tints more accessible. Even having some of the rarest colors be a little less rare could be a good idea. Having years pass between the appearances of a certain color is a bit extreme.

I know its not lavender but Ossepiesanzar’Or (near Alcyon) has a Pale Berry gleam that I think looks quite good. I’d be happy to give you some stacks if you want to try it out.

1 Like

It’s supppper sweet of you to offer, however, at least so far, I’ve been sorta a purple snob, not ‘accepting’ substitute colors, but I’ve written the color down and if I change my snobbish ways, I’ll give it a try :wink:

1 Like

The biggest thing I would like to see is EXO’s actually having Some exo colors. So many do not have anything but sovereign or Home world colors. So the only thing Exo about them is Goo, Petroleum, and primordial resin. Once is awhile you get some exo colors. We did get one recently that had a lot of exo colors but that is super rare. So often the t7 exo’s have the same colors again and again.

1 Like

I lol’d. Yes, it would be nice if exo’s would have exo colors. I mean, maybe they did before sovs, but as it stands it’s often the same old colors over and over.

1 Like

…and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over.

Oh did I mention over again? :rofl: :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

In fairness, lol, I am glad it repeated the warm blue goo, giggle, I needed it!!!

1 Like

The T7s have set pallets to go with their lucents. The T6s similarly have their elements which restrict their colors. These are highly restrictive and limit the color patterns, and don’t allow for a lot of variation. There’s been no change to them with the addition of the Sov planets. Blink is your best chance of white rock and white wood. Umbris is always dark reds to orange shades.
As I recall from conversations about this a long time ago T4 Lush Exos are the most unrestricted colors. Even there we saw a lot of repeat colors before Sovs.

I think adding in a couple wildcard T5s with no restrictions into the Exo spawning pool would help a lot. Who cares if they are ugly? By the time we get done with them they will look like swiss cheese anyhow.

Any hope for deep mustard meta?

Yes! Deep Mustard Spray!!

1 Like

But where does the spray come from?

Spray is made in a Pigment Processor from Goo Pigment which is produced by Goo Kernels which can be found on Exo planets.
By hanging Goo Kernels under Deep Mustard Gleam they mutate step by step to that color.

When that is too complicated / too much work you can also buy it: https://butt.boundless.mayumi.fi/#item=ITEM_DYE

To not apply sprays 1 by 1 there is the Spray Tinter machine to use sprays on blocks automatically

I hope you can get your Deep Mustard Meta Rock :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow thanks. If I only had knew that sooner lol. I thought I had to wait for a Deep Mustard meta Exo to spawn…

2 Likes

I have jsut recently (like this week) jumped on the goo parade. I had a farm but didn’t use it to aggressively seek out the colors I need. As all crazy people, I am now ALL IN and having a blast :slight_smile: (Are those pigment coils cooked YET)

2 Likes

Dunno if this has been asked already, but when will gleambow totems be available to craft?

I’d like to get some made and forged before the meteors start falling!