Lighting Poll

I went through my builds.
I like new lighting.

Maybe instead of tweaking the whole thing, devs could change meshes properties as they seem be the only objects turning out too dark. Storage units slots need to let in more light so we can see stored items better. Plants and boulders also need different reaction to light as they seem to be all made of shadow now.

5 Likes

yeah, maybe it is the meshs not working quite right with the new lighting system

1 Like

This seems to be true and is something that I have agreed with.
Doors and machines as well as the other mesh items you mentioned seem to not be handling the light the same way that the regular blocks are.

2 Likes

yeah most likely is the meshes weren’t really designed for the new lighting system, so the change has made them all look to dark, as the mesh is treating it all as if it is in shadows, making it look darker.

I also agree that making different lighting an in-game option will create inconsistent experience. So, better if devs tweak things on their side trying to end up with satisfying enough permanent lighting environment for all.

For the same reason I think there should be no turning off grass option as that also creates uneven playing field. It’s PvE where all players should encounter the same environmental challenges.

2 Likes

James said the dark storage blocks will stay dark, regardless of light & that they are looking at the meshes. Other than that, I think everything else looks amazing.

3 Likes

Honestly. I wouldn’t have dropped $200 on plots the other day if I knew my builds were going to be this negatively affected. Adding torches changes the the over all look of the build to something I don’t like. I already use mainly white gleam and light colored blocks in a lot of my builds. The marble looks bad too imo. Looks too much like ice. And that’s another type of block I use a lot. One of my guild mates is ready to stop playing boundless now too because the new lighting bothers his eyes. Which more or less just leaves me in the guild cause the others are waiting for things like warp wraith and titans. Only good thing his update brought me was placeable fluids and that’s not enough for me to keep wanting to play

2 Likes

There are plenty of games out there that allow people to change Gamma at the start of the game especially on PS4. So I don’t think we should worry about consistent experience in this case.

I just looked at another place that people said was dark and it looked absolutely perfect for me. So we cannot likely find a design that works for everyone…

Gamma is OK. Im talking about complex changes in how light is emitted by different sources and reflected by different surfaces. Something like an option to chose between lighting system before and after last update.

1 Like

I agree the new lighting looks awesome… but again (and its definitely stupid and selfish of me personally), display screens vary.

That has nothing to do with the game. A simple brightness level might be useful to some other totally selfish stupid people who didnt build their own monitor to the exact specifications of everyone else.

It could also come with a handy feature where it doesnt force you to change it if you dont want to.

1 Like

or people who are visually inpared and may be unable to play due to the new level of darkness

4 Likes

Sorry, i was trolling the trolling. Bad taste, and in hindsight certainly doesnt help and probably only fuels the fire (sorry mods!).

110% agree with you on the accessibilty thing. Its something i do a lot of work around in real life. I actually just helped write a new accessibility policy for our state government to massively improve information services for people with disability. I should know better, aggressive negative people bug me though.

1 Like

I know 1 person who cannot see now. They increased their 4k tv settings for the ps4 and it looks worse. Makes everything else too bright. I just tried I on mine and man the game looks like trash. It’s not just the builds it ALOT of stuff. Too shiny or too dark. Like really, I have a ceiling and floor of gleam in a room with mid level green blocks and it’s dark as heck when the room looked amazing before. I’m not happy with you anything of mine after the “fix”

2 Likes

Yea I didn’t get to test changing the brightness on my 4k tv yet but I’m afraid of exactly that happening. Only other game I can recall having issues with is destiny(1 and 2) but they have the option to increase the in game brightness so i do that and no more problems. But sadly I don’t have the option to do that with boundless.

lol its all good thats why i deleted and re unedited it i was multitasking and just got confused when i replied :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I was really sad today when I went ingame to find that almost all my builds were letdown because of the new lighting.

I always loved gleam and how it worked and had an effect on the other blocks, so I played A LOT with that in pretty much every one of my builds. It’s just sad that such an important element is being changed at this point.
It’s sad. Sad sad sad sad.

4 Likes

Look, it’s simple. A storage block of the color Luminous Red should have the same kind of light as a Luminous Red wall it’s next to.

Here, it looks like a different color altogether. You cannot tell me it’s alright, or that I’m being selfish and other cr@p like that, since we’re at the point where there’s this thread with the poll…

I’ve made specific cuts of gleam just above my containers to make sure they’d be correctly lighted.
What you’re telling me is that if I want my room to be lighted like it was before, basically, I should put gem torches every two blocks, and even then, it wouldn’t be the same. Even if I replaced every single block with gleam, during the day, it would still look dim. Oh no wait, I know, maybe I should remove the ceiling of all my rooms and start making everything outside!

You might say that @Kal-El used too much black things and that it’s now coming to bite him in the ■■■■ (it’s still not normal that he can’t see what’s in his storage because it’s too dark).
But I’ve used some of the brightest colors you can get (aside from white blocks which are only available on exo-worlds) for my walls.
And now I’m even being told “cool blue” gleam is “quite a dark color”?

The only people telling me they like my place better now are people who enjoy the dark!
I find it unacceptable that this update was pushed through with the meshes looking like that, especially since it was a known issue.

Now maybe what we need would be some kind of higher-tier of gleam, like Decorative Gleam, which would generate more light than the refined. I’d be fine with that.

5 Likes

And again goblin nails it. Its NOT fine.

2 Likes

But if they make different settings I’ll have to do lighting in my builds in two passes and try to make it look good with both settings.

edit: The forums messed up and didn’t show me all the posts, this has probably been talked about already?

After further reading I’m in the same boat as boundmore, gamma is ok but having an option to completely change the lighting doesn’t sound appealing to me.

The issue is you are not respecting other people’s views at all and basically shoving the change you want back down everyone’s throat. AND not being specific in the issue you are having. that light and shadow in your picture is ok outside of the storage blocks.

Some of us are ok with the colors looking a bit different in the “storage block.” We are willing to take 3 steps forward to see the color for what it is upon closer inspection and don’t expect things to be perfect looking from farther away. We also are willing to accept some change as long as it does not white wash the game like it was before… we like the shadows and some of the contrast.

I just wanted into a dark room and saw gleam lighten up the build after our in game eyes adjusted. I don’t know why that happened but it was interesting… maybe people just need to use lanterns more… I’m not sure and willing to have a conversation about it but people aren’t doing that… most are just complaining and yell FIX IT. So of course some of us will push back.

1 Like