Lighting Poll

lol its all good thats why i deleted and re unedited it i was multitasking and just got confused when i replied :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I was really sad today when I went ingame to find that almost all my builds were letdown because of the new lighting.

I always loved gleam and how it worked and had an effect on the other blocks, so I played A LOT with that in pretty much every one of my builds. Itā€™s just sad that such an important element is being changed at this point.
Itā€™s sad. Sad sad sad sad.

4 Likes

Look, itā€™s simple. A storage block of the color Luminous Red should have the same kind of light as a Luminous Red wall itā€™s next to.

Here, it looks like a different color altogether. You cannot tell me itā€™s alright, or that Iā€™m being selfish and other cr@p like that, since weā€™re at the point where thereā€™s this thread with the pollā€¦

Iā€™ve made specific cuts of gleam just above my containers to make sure theyā€™d be correctly lighted.
What youā€™re telling me is that if I want my room to be lighted like it was before, basically, I should put gem torches every two blocks, and even then, it wouldnā€™t be the same. Even if I replaced every single block with gleam, during the day, it would still look dim. Oh no wait, I know, maybe I should remove the ceiling of all my rooms and start making everything outside!

You might say that @Kal-El used too much black things and that itā€™s now coming to bite him in the ā– ā– ā– ā–  (itā€™s still not normal that he canā€™t see whatā€™s in his storage because itā€™s too dark).
But Iā€™ve used some of the brightest colors you can get (aside from white blocks which are only available on exo-worlds) for my walls.
And now Iā€™m even being told ā€œcool blueā€ gleam is ā€œquite a dark colorā€?

The only people telling me they like my place better now are people who enjoy the dark!
I find it unacceptable that this update was pushed through with the meshes looking like that, especially since it was a known issue.

Now maybe what we need would be some kind of higher-tier of gleam, like Decorative Gleam, which would generate more light than the refined. Iā€™d be fine with that.

5 Likes

And again goblin nails it. Its NOT fine.

2 Likes

But if they make different settings Iā€™ll have to do lighting in my builds in two passes and try to make it look good with both settings.

edit: The forums messed up and didnā€™t show me all the posts, this has probably been talked about already?

After further reading Iā€™m in the same boat as boundmore, gamma is ok but having an option to completely change the lighting doesnā€™t sound appealing to me.

The issue is you are not respecting other peopleā€™s views at all and basically shoving the change you want back down everyoneā€™s throat. AND not being specific in the issue you are having. that light and shadow in your picture is ok outside of the storage blocks.

Some of us are ok with the colors looking a bit different in the ā€œstorage block.ā€ We are willing to take 3 steps forward to see the color for what it is upon closer inspection and donā€™t expect things to be perfect looking from farther away. We also are willing to accept some change as long as it does not white wash the game like it was beforeā€¦ we like the shadows and some of the contrast.

I just wanted into a dark room and saw gleam lighten up the build after our in game eyes adjusted. I donā€™t know why that happened but it was interestingā€¦ maybe people just need to use lanterns moreā€¦ Iā€™m not sure and willing to have a conversation about it but people arenā€™t doing thatā€¦ most are just complaining and yell FIX IT. So of course some of us will push back.

1 Like

There must be the huge difference between ps4 and pc. It never looked white washed before on ps4 pro with a 4k tv. Canā€™t say for regular ps4 and non 4k screen

Yeah I think no matter what I setting would be good. The lighting values are definitely messed up though. The atmosphere is messing with al the colors now and the light is having a pupil effect when moving around. I keep getting like a colored dog that dims down all the time.

1 Like

I completely agree! Mostly everything I built that was super lite is now dark. In one room I used all gleam ( cool blue) on the ceiling and some on the floor, some on the walls above my storages. I used warm moss for the blocks and refined iron on the floor. The room has dark spots all over and itā€™s extremely hard to see in my storages. They are telling me that is normal? Lol if I shine a flashlight into my box it will still be dark?? Lmao. This game is broke. This didnā€™t look this bad in testing. Although I did say the marble looked to shiny from week one of testing. I was for sure they would have toned that down. Also the matches looked dark a bit. But not these bloom issues as well.

1 Like

Iā€™d rather people vent their frustration here, even if overlay passionate sometimes, rather than just quiting.
the devs need to hear all views and they will understand if people get a bit madā€¦ Means the players are invested in the game.
The rest of us need to also understand where this passion comes from and give some leeway rather than also getting mad and it all turning into a drama-fest

2 Likes

The camera adjusts to dark after a while, the dark places donā€™t look as dark after it has adjusted, but itā€™s still different for sure. I hope youtube doesnā€™t butcher the subtle difference.

Oh hi there kettle, nameā€™s pot. Have we met?

Youā€™re the one telling me I should accept the change, trying to tell me how I should feel about my build, basically telling me and others who share my view that weā€™re selfish and other terms.

And ā€œnot being specificā€? Iā€™ve said a least a dozen time since the update came out that I hated how the meshes looked like, and how gleam now emits way less light, making overall everything darker. What did you think I meant?!

Yeah, Iā€™ve noticed that too earlier! I guess thatā€™s a good changeā€¦ But at this point, I donā€™t know. Actually, it all looks like something youā€™d get on the Unreal Engine 4 with bad settings. And I should know, I did some scenes with terrible lighting. ^^

1 Like

I love the lighting. Took me time to get used to it, but it has a very special quality to it. That being said, I think giving players the option to adjust the light to their own specific needs is a fair request. Those of us that like it as it is get to keep it that way, those that donā€™t like it or are visually impaired get to adjust it to suit their preferences or needs. I (on a personal level) think that that is not too much to ask. Especially for anyone with visual impairments. :wink:

2 Likes

Could be the ps4 pro HDR settings. If your tv isnt HDR, or running through a non-HDR input, then it washes out the colour. Try turn off HDR in your ps4 main settings and see if it helps.

I like things as they are now, too. Simultaneously darker, yet more vibrant. However, I do feel the pain of some others in the thread - my build needs some rethinking. Thankfully, itā€™s not as big as many out there.

2 Likes

I said it never looked washed out to me. Thatā€™s why I think there was a huge difference. If someone on pc said it looked washed out before and it wasnā€™t to me then there has to be major differences in what we(ps4) see over you guys(pc)

Also my tv is a 4k curved Samsung 240ghz refresh rate hdr blah blah blah. Iā€™m a heavy tech guy. And a person whose motto is go big or go home lmao. Donā€™t do sub par stuff.

2 Likes

Im ps4 too, and had the washed out colour/HDR issue on another game cause i wasnt using the primary input for ps4. Was a long shot (and slightly out of context if that wasnt you saying it was washed out), but sounded similar.

Let the dark tones glow too

1 Like

I like the darkness. I do not care for the red tint in the day time.

I disagree. . the people that believe lighting needs tweaking or an option are being told they are selfish and arrogant and that everything is fine and they need to just ā€œthink about the long termā€. You can easily make the argument if he is not respecting the other side of the argument then neither are the ones telling players everything is fine or get used to it or change your build. If you think it is fine as is, great state your opinion, but to tell others they are wrong is not constructive.

Not a response to you but added rather than do a new post

Why is it ok to take a range of gleam and now make it unsuitable for lighting purposes? So now the most common gleam in the game is unsuitable for lighting a room and this is good for the game in what way? Do we now need to have a spreadsheet that tells us every color of gleam and how much/far it will light? How does this follow what James stated in keeping the game simple when he was talking about adding the seed optimization to the farming knowledge tabs?

Why is it ok to suddenly make a range of colored blocks unsuitable for various uses? Do we now need to have another spreadsheet that tells us what colors not to use for meshes? Do the developers need to remove the dark colors from the starter planets so new players are not using colors they should not?

How does this impact players creativity when they now should not use a bunch of colors? It is like telling a painter not to use black, dark green or other dark colors because they will not show detail. How does it impact new players who will have no idea of the added complexity in choosing colors when they have only a few hours to decide if they are going to keep the game or refund it on steam?

6 Likes