Lighting Poll

Well the menus could atleast be brightened up.

I vote for both (even though there is no option to do so). The way I see it, some areas such as meshes are a little too dark so a permanent fix here would be very welcome. Night time now is awesome, but I realise and understand that people with nightblindness have major issues with it, so a player adjustment here is also welcomed.

Classic case of …

9 Likes

So you are asking for black blocks inside storage to not look black? Dark colors inside storage should not look dark?

Also that very small representations of blocks should show all details of that block from farther away on storage and appear larger than they truly are?

I ask because when I walk up to your storage blocks and am closer I can clearly see the details of the block and that it is a darker color.

I haven’t seen you put a dark block beside a light block in your storage area and screen shot that to provide details on how the mesh is or is not working. I say this because in my screenshots I have put a variety of items in there and can see how some show just fine and the darker items are because of the material they have been made with.

I don’t know how we can make a black block not look black inside storage blocks…

1 Like

Of course I don’t think it is right for people to say there is no problem. There is clearly a disconnect between what people are seeing. The difference I was trying to explain was the nuance of saying things are broke or demanding a reversion back to something else. It is how many are wanting it “fixed” which doesn’t respect those that like the changes.

I’ve had more than a few posts where I ASKED for peoples location and what they were looking at so I could go compare. I asked you as well. I spent time going over to his build and trying to understand the problem. I’ve taken screen shots to show how it looks on my system to compare to their system - to help solve the problem people are experiencing.

I just don’t understand this statement. Havok and I were in a build where it was darker blue and after the game adjusted the light levels things were acceptable. The gleam was being used as the light source.

People are more than welcome to list locations and some of us that see things as appearing ok can then go to those locations and try to understand if we are having the same problem or not. Having that data HELPS find out what is happening.

How is gleam light levels related to simple? If you want to keep it simple use lanterns… Of course things should be simple but at some level we cannot remove all complexity or things that bring a more technical aspect to the game. If we did that we should rewrite the whole game from the start and change all the mechanics.

@Havok was mentioning that these gleam colors feel more back to the original color they had in Alpha. Also I have gone through a ton of builds and the colors (gleam included) look fine. Are you saying that @SolFall builds are now destroyed and look horrible because of the gleam usage? Last I checked they looked just fine with this version of gleam.

1 Like

I would agree to this statement.

1 Like

now there is a good idea.
fix global lighting to make the most people happy and allow individual beacons to tweak lighting to there needs.
seems like an option where everyone wins.
I personally have never been happier with the look of the game.

1 Like

Because now I need spreadsheet to know how much light different colors of gleam generate. I cannot just look at it and know anything. So a new player find a light colored gleam and they have to understand that has nothing to do with how bright it will be or its suitability to be used as lighting for a build.

To be honest. I have played the game long enough to know what the developers are expecting me to do to fix what has happened. I do not require another opinion on the suitability of the lighting in my build. Since I am the one that uses it, it really only matters what I think. There is no problem for you to solve. There is a problem for the developers to solve and you may not have seen it but James has posted some comments on the lighting and what they may and may not be changing.

Of course lanterns are not simple by any means since they changed the recipe to include Glowing Lamella which is marked as uncommon rare, but even then, limiting builds to one light source is limiting and quite frankly the lantern does not fit with every type of build. But if that is the solution the developers propose then that is what they propose.

1 Like

You can’t do this change by “the majority” or “happy” because you can’t get an accurate accounting of it.

Why is this better over a localized setting in the clients software to adjust the gamma for their side?

Why would I be expected to have to go tweak each and every beacon I have to put the game to the design the developers wanted originally but was changed because we had to make people happy?

Doesn’t it make more sense to leave the light changes to the developers design then provide options to brighten the game for those that want the design changed?

2 Likes

I was doing it because I wanted to understand what you saw… Not to influence or fight about the situation in any way. I just wanted to understand. I did that with Fire… he gave me a location that had dark spots and I saw nothing. It was to understand his perspective.

Not to solve it but to give them a full accounting of how the game looked in the same location across multiple computers and set ups.

People should be willing to show the same location from a variety of set ups to help show the problem better.

that’s my vote and I stand by it.
however as always I will support whatever the devs decide as I have the upmoste faith in them.

3 Likes

Because gamma effects everything. It isn’t the appropriate fix to the problem. It’s like increasing brightness on your tv, it doesn’t necessarily make the movie look better.

The issue is in builds with shiny dark blocks, the light emission is insufficient. Even if you add a brighter light block, if the shiny blocks are no longer reflecting the light, and are instead absorbing it, any additional block effects are negated. So the only fix is to resolve the lighting in shiny blocks. This likely includes all deco blocks. So saying that this only effects some people and not “the game” is preposterous because a large number is folks utilize deco blocks with high preportions of dark-spectrum colors.

You said earlier you haven’t seen it. I have. I invite you to see my build on grovidias te to confirm the lighting effects.

Old--

New–

Ouch… i think this may take more than a simple redesign

@Jeffrotheswell Broke the lighting…glad we got that out of the way. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Please PM or post here the location and portal ways to get there… I’d like to look tonight after work.

This really is the “problem” and it is purely subjective in nature which sucks for all of us.

I spent the evening last night going around with a few people and we all were basically 100% ok with the light emission levels of dark blocks. We had no problem with how things look even in storage or machines or anything. We liked that black actually felt black for once and that there was contrast across colors with different light intensity. It made sense to us why it looked that way.

So the fix needs to be along those lines then instead of “gamma” on an individual or personalized game setting level. I don’t know any other way around it because in the end someone is going to be mad with the change if it stays and someone will be mad if we change back or adjust this.

1 Like

I would say I fixed it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Well you COULD say that…however we all have come to understand that you BREAK things in the game.:joy:

2 Likes

Thank goodness now I know what happened

#BlameJeff

4 Likes

ask my wife… I am very blameable. :smile_cat:

2 Likes

minor off topic thing here

i kind of feel here this may be getting overused here so far in the thread i have atlest not seen people say “people who like the change are idiots” or “people who dislike the change are stupid” sateing a differing opinion is not disrespectful otherwise that would be 90% of the suggestions threads

anyway back to topic

the thing is tho unless you and Havok have dozens of different ranging monitors and GPU’s there is no way to properly know the impact its why in most games gamma settings are default cuz the devs have no way of knowing how the player’s monitor, GPU or vision is going to affect there game.

my self my primary monitor handles darkness a lot better then my secondary one

edit: i said “it’s why in most games gamma settings are default” should have said all games i don’t know a game that does not have a gamma setting.

Came just to say I like it, I recognize that parts of my build are much darker than before and should have probably had better lighting all along. I feel like the new lighting system makes everything look way more naturally occurring including the builds.

I wouldn’t change it myself but if it requires a change I trust the dev’s and the choice they make.

1 Like