Looking for Clarification on Footfall and Settlements

Hey fellow Boundless Players

I’ve been busy trying to bring the official wiki up to date to make it useful for newer players. I have a lot of gaps in my game knowledge, either because I couldn’t care less about some aspect of the game or because I have not yet obtained first-hand knowledge (and I am working toward the day I can put aside my ignorance). It’s the former category I need help from your collective wisdom on.

So, here’s my first set of questions, dealing with Settlements and Footfall.

1. What is the name of the designated settlement leader for each rank of settlement (eg. the Warden leads an Outpost)? I understand at some point the leader becomes a Mayor, but at what point, and what are the names for the leaders of the other settlement ranks, if any?

2. I understand Footfall is only accumulated every 24 hours, but is it per Player or is it per Character? For example I have 3 alts (Characters): does an Outpost get 10 Coin from Footfall once every 24 hours when any one of my alts steps past, or does it get 30 Coin from Footfall every 24 hours when each of my alts step past?

3. A Settlement gets Coin from Footfall. How is that divided among the various Beacons? Is it a percentage distribution (Beacon A contributes 50% of the Prestige in an Outpost, so it gets 5 Coin from each Footfall) or is there something more complicated involved like distance from the Warden’'s Beacon or a nonlinear weighting or something?

1 Like

Footfall is currently broken. It is supposed to happen every 24 hours (in seconds) but was accidentally set for 24 days (in seconds). A server crash resets the timer, and we are currently on day 7 without footfall on Lamblis except for players who have not visited in 7 days.

Footfall is per character per settlement per server (planet). A person with two beacons in the same settlement can only receive footfall from Character A once per day. A person with two beacons in separate settlements can receive footfall from Character A once per day in both settlements.

A fresh beacon not connected to another settlement will not collect footfall until it becomes a settlement, 10k prestige, and reaches the minimum number and configuration of plots, somewhere in the ballpark of 7 and square/cube-ish in shape. A string of 10 plots in a row has a hard time becoming a settlement until you make it wider or possibly taller point.

A beacon connected to a settlement generates footfall coin per player based on the prestige level of the settlement. A beacon in a city generates 80 footfall per visitor, but a fresh 10,000 prestige settlement only generates 20. Currently any character with no beacon permissions can generate footfall - even on your own account. If a character crosses a permissioned beacon before the beacon without permissions in the same settlement, it will start the cooldown 24 hour timer and generate zero footfall.

Beacons in a settlement can begin generating footfall early, somewhere around 3,000-5,000 prestige, but at a reduced rate. You will begin to get full footfall as that beacon’s prestige approaches 10,000 and will mostly get full footfall somewhere around the 6,250 prestige mark.

Hope this helps! I have heavily researched footfall and would love any more info.

@James Is this correct?

Not that I am doubting you @Krollbar, but confirmation would be good, and if it is true, an indication of when it will be fixed.

Where did you get the code from?

One of the devs posted it. It’s abbreviated in the preview but if you click it it’ll take you to the full post. It’s a rare glimpse at Boundless’s guts!

Proper C++ code would use duration_cast<seconds>(BeaconSettings.footfallDelayHours). Just sayin’.

1 Like

Yeah but they’re British :joy:

Jk lol