Lore!

Hello everyone! I had a thunk soooo, hear me out! I don’t believe the game has any established lore except for what the players have created for their own builds/settlements. I would like to create a series called Bedtime in Boundless where I read lore created by you all (keeping it PG-13) if you’re willing. I would absolutely make sure to give any writers credit. This idea came from the heads of both @VerucaKatt and UncleJay aka The Dirt King. If you’re up for it, please feel free to contact me via Discord or here. Thanks!

12 Likes

Lore building is one of the focuses of my guild! :smiley: (The other is exploration)

I have written a few short stories for boundless, and I thought I had posted them here on the forums. But it’s a bit of a niche of a niche, in what is currently a niche game. So there are only like 10 people who have ever done things, only like 4 people around still, and pretty much everyone else doesn’t seem to care about lore building all that much…

Among the handful of us, none of us seem to agree on a narrative direction, some expand on what little James and wonderstuck gave us after launch, others go with earlier concepts from EA and place’s stories from back then, some throw all that out and write their own stories.

All that being said, this is quite an interesting idea for a video series. Feel free to grab anything I’ve posted under the “Lore” tab if you feel it’s interesting. I can’t speak for others though.

There is some interesting lore hidden in some settlements with both visual storytelling and written on signs. Nova oortis comes to mind on Biitula. I think a lot of that lore was written by someone I’ve not seen active in the community for awhile, but i could be wrong with who i thought penned it (I would have to go explore the settlement again to find the reference to the author)

5 Likes

a few years ago @leperous1 organised a building competition based on Oort lore at Lacuna on Storis II. There are some of the builds still left with scattered bits of lore, I can show you if you like - might be handy to create actual stories from. This was the forum comp announcement, including it because it links to another thing on lore for body paint too (so potential for even more stories :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

Thanks Eneit! Do you all have any lore stories in Giggleswick?

2 Likes

You’re right…It does sound very niche. I know HOD is looking into creating lore for our city, but it does take time that most people want to probably put in building rather than writing. LOL But I will be happy to take a look at your post!

2 Likes

The lore has just begun… Our creators sold us off…we now wait in the never ending ticket line of wonder…what the future will bring we will not know until we reach the ticket taker…

Also Hi @RedY3 :kissing_heart::rofl::clown_face:

9 Likes

I love this idea!!

2 Likes

Not written as there is in Lacuna, but I wrote some of what is in Lacuna lol

1 Like

I also feel that at some point, citizen-kind drifted a bit off of the path that the Oort had in mind when they molded them.

Meh, it’s probably all a simulation, anyways. Here have a fast brew.

■■■■ no more brew icons? Well Bob it’s gotta be beer :beers:

4 Likes

I have a pretty crazy long history of Kindred Bay. Not written but I intend to do so in some form. It glorifies a lot of things though for drama’s sake, like depicting prestige wars as actual wars :nerd_face::sweat_smile: but I could make an abridged version.

I can send you the calendar I created too.

3 Likes

Please do!

I like this idea!

@RedY3

I expect you to write a thesis on Bobs lore. I expect nothing short of greatness! Make sure to get my good side! 5k characters sound good?

Maybe throw in a haiku!

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Achievement opportunity:
5k word long haiku, @RedY3

2 Likes

I have lore around my sovereign, including a few stories dedicated to particular locations.
Maybe need to start putting it down somehow? :thinking:

2 Likes

@Ratchel @Coolpants while I like the idea of inventing some lore, I think I can’t force myself to come up with something on the spot. Also, I am busy building. That counts as lore? :joy:

4 Likes

Would anyone care to hash out the little bit of lore established by the game, as a group? For every little bit we know, there are multiple unanswered questions.

We arrived in an event called the Great Transmigration…

• Should we say that our people spent multiple generations in space so our characters who arrived in the galaxy had never been on a planet before?

• Should every new player that arrives be considered from out of galaxy, or was the G-Train a singular if drawn-out event that occurred over the first year or two and ended? New players would just be children of the original settlers in the latter case.

• Did we arrive in ships that we can’t replicate? Does the sanctum have anything to do with it?

• Should the sanctum even be considered an existing entity or should lore just ignore it?

We are a species known as Citizens :unamused: and we discover tech from an ancient species known as Oortians.

• Does anyone behold to this in their personal lore? Most of us call ourselves Oortians, myself included.

• Is Oortian marble ancient? Or do we carve it? Why do they look like us?

I don’t feel like writing any more questions right now but I have had a fun idea for a while to make an Ancient Aliens parody video series where “experts” try to prove that we are descended from the Oortians who left and they basically did a big circle in space over the generations until we returned to find all the planets looking new and healthy.

4 Likes

Love your line of questioning…I could see this as a bit of an X-Files series. I’ve often wondered where Oortians or in this case perhaps, Citizens came from and why we are settled across different planets.

2 Likes

New players would be children. Hahaha I’m an adolescent :raising_hand_woman:

Not sure if anyone know the game Spore. But in a way Boundless kinda remind me of that and especially talking about origins.

1 Like

As little lore as we ever got with Boundless, is the starting point for my local lore. I don’t deviate from the basic premise of the great ones that were here before us and left all the tech behind for us to mine and use.

There are many unanswered questions there, so I stick to the very general ideas that we know of. And then I do my own local lore in greater detail.

2 Likes