Magic!

How about we implement a system of magic for the game?!

Just for the record, I really like that everyone has a universal class I am not saying we split people into classes and cause segregation (mage class) I like the fact that you can be whatever you want however you want.

I’ll try and find the post, but I think it was @Thorbjorn42gbf who posted/quoted it. Essentially, there will be some sort of magic, but it won’t be the typical MMO “Magika” system.

The general concept based on an old dev post is that there is no “magic” in the boundless universe. Instead, ancient alien technology is used like magic. Augments and upgrades to tools and weapons may grant various “elemental” effects or variable other uses, but none of it is really “magic”.

5 Likes

There it is! I couldn’t remember how it was explained. Thanks Havok!

1 Like

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic” ~ Arthur C. Clarke

Adds little to the conversation, but I thought the quote fit quite well in this instance :smile:

2 Likes

For 1.0 at least. I would never say never (don’t quote me), if the community really want something that improves everyone’s experience, then it is always worth considering. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of magic and mystical things. But I understand if you don’t want this in the game. I would like it! :smiley:

Elemental upgrades like shooting fire/ice … armor with Slingbow or special magic weapons would be cool (like burning or freezing a creature for a while).

There could be magic places on worlds where you learn those stuff. If you’re in a fire world you learn fire stuff. :smiley:

I was thinking a whole slew of oort based technology to replace magic.

If that wasn’t already the idea it should be the case.

1 Like

Depends if you consider it magic

If someone had showed me an iPhone 30 years ago I’d be like “that’s a fancy computer”

This post is four years old now, and in it im refering an “old” post. I feel… old too.

4 Likes

This is a good quote

Necromancy is a form of magic

3 Likes