Malurialakrib crashing, lagging bad. Any devs?

The purple part is where the messages are taking too long to get to the server. Roughly 2.5% of all messages are arriving too late. When these messages arrive late the server rejects them and the client is forced to undo locally whatever action was rejected. This could be movement, tool actions, etc. It rubber-bands.

Here 0.2% of messages are arriving too late.

Yep - it’s not your connection.
But it’s also not the server.
It’s the route between the two.

There are 3 parts:

1. The clients local connection.
  2. The route between the client and the server.
  3. The servers local connection.

Your connection is good - good.
The servers is running fine and its connection is good - good.
So this leaves everything in between - bad.

There is a lot of Internet between you and the server in Australia. Sometimes the route will change, and your latency will change. Then the route can change again. This is the Internet.

For example, below is a capture from a http-ping utility tracking the latency to the AUS servers:

The latency to aus1 increases by 30ms for roughly a minute and then recovers, but then aus2 changes. This is simply due to the routes changing.

If you want to minimise this effect whilst playing then connect to an equivalent world in EUC or USE which are physically closer.

1 Like

I see. Well, it still doesn’t explain why me and some other have experienced really bad lags on, specifically Malurialakrib, but no other worlds.

I would play on other worlds, but none of the others come close to what Malurialakrib offers mining-wise.

Connect to each AUS world.
Do nothing for 10 minutes and share the histograms.

This would be worth seeing.

But playing on Malurialakrib the most and feeling like there is more lag on it - it’s too surprising… because you’re on it most.

Sure, but never, after many hours on other worlds as well, experienced this lag and didn’t on Malurialakrib until last week. I am just trying to figure what’s going on, no need to get mad at me.

He’s not ‘being mad’. Took me a bit to realize, but he is just communicating a fact. It’s not surprising that you would notice it since your on that one more. I get ‘in trouble’ because I do the same thing and people infer too much from text. Instead of just addressing the matter.
Edit: I have many problems similar to you and have just had to accept the fact I can’t do anything and they can’t either because somewhere in between something is wrong.

2 Likes

I feel like I am being treated like a 5 year old atm.

Ok sorry, I was just trying to help relate my nearly identical experiences on the same issue with you, I’ll refrain from further posts.

Didn’t mean you, my bad. Just saying in general. “You lag more cause you play more there” “Go to a EU world cause it’s less laggy” - yeah all worlds are same.

But whatever, can close thread cause I am clearly wrong.

I think he was saying to play on another world in the same region and see if you could repeat the same issues. That way it might help trace the problem? That’s how I read it at least.

3 Likes

Not trying to defend what a Dev wrote, but please Keep the following in mind.
Written text, especially normal toned one can Sound teaching or mean. As a german i often Encounter that Problem when People misread what i typed because there is no spoken word or i used the wrong sentence build.
I am sure, @james didnt mean it in the way that he handled you as a 5 yo.

I Play from the EU on Mcrib and i have regular Spikes and my normal ping is 200-250. So yea, the Problem is “on the Highway” from/to you/the Server we Play on. Nothing a Dev can do to beginn with.

So dont go out all hot, written text has to be handled with care :slight_smile:

I get you, and I don’t really care anymore. Everyone seems to have missed the part where I say that only recently it has lagged like crazy. 3 days total now. Now it’s all “regular spikes” when it never used to be so on Malurialakrib.

Are the Aussies getting caught up on the end of Game of Thrones? I imagine streaming that has messed up more than a few internet routes.

2 Likes

I did not skip over it at all. It’s identical tonprpblems I get on houchus and why I have quit playing on it as much, specifically on PS4. I don’t have the problems on my PC. It will be for large periods of time and then bad for a week or so then good again.

It feels like no rhyme or reason and is very frustrating especially when you make a support post and feel it can not get addressed. So I 100% empathize with your situation.

1 Like

My brother and I both play on PS4, same router hardwired, same length Ethernet cables. Sometimes he lags and portals won’t open and I have no issues. The routing on this game is a complex beast. I’m amazed that they have been able to get it to where most of us can play on servers around the world simultaneously.

And back to the topic, I had a few lag spikes on Malurialakrib last night too. I just bailed back to a USW server.

I’m not getting mad. I’m was just trying to explain why you could be mistaken about the performance issues.

For reference:

1. We have a range of notifications that fire automatically when the servers have issues - none have fired.
  2. When players report possible issues we still go and look at the realtime metrics - just in case.
  3. We want the game to be smooth and stable for all players just as much as everyone else.
  4. I was trying to give background about why a player with a great local connect may still experience issues without it being the server at fault. Boundless is relatively unique as game servers are not edge located. This is the challenge we took on when attempting to build a single sandbox that everyone inhabits together. For the most part it works.

I didn’t ignore this. As above I’ve checked the server metrics. Of course it’s possible there is an issue. But I can not see one. I even went to the world and stood by you to collect metrics from the same location that included your interactions. And my connection was solid.

11 Likes