Maybe this is the week

From what James said a week it ago it sounds like they were still in discovery on whether to allow worlds to be downloaded or not and whether a world should be downloaded for new players automatically or not. I wouldn’t expect development to be done on that to be ready for testing until April probably.

I’ve been messing around with local worlds for a few days now and every other time I try to generate a new world my whole computer freezes. So definitely a ways off from being able to push this live.

2 Likes

I feel like the updated skills and new equipment should be deployed first and then the local universe stuff after.

11 Likes

Yes
This. I agree. These things could be split into different updates.

7 Likes

James also said, three weeks ago, that testing would be updated by “next week” (two weeks ago). It never was.

4 Likes

Last time I went on the Test server (earlier this week), things were…missing. I was testing forging the new swords. The mats in my forge were gone. And when I tried to get more, I couldn’t.

2 Likes

Rationally, yes. But the packages might already be too integrated on their side that they’re thinking the effort to do so isn’t worth it, especially with a skeleton crew :frowning: .

Looks like the whole delay stemmed from the conversation that eventually led to this post. It’s now been 1 month and 11 days later and as far as I can tell the posts from James seem to indicate they’re still not sure which path to go down.

Edit: They still have to add oort seams to possible resources to embed on local worlds on top of the local universe download/generate debate. And ideally melee weapons get an animation and sound update prior to launch but highly doubting it. I maintain that I don’t see much happening on testing before the end of this month and don’t see this going live until late May, early June?

4 Likes

I think that maybe they are trying to put too much stuff into one update. Would probably have been better to do a couple of small ones instead of packing all that stuff in a big update that we’ll have to wait for like 2 more months to see go live

4 Likes

This week in 2022??

2 Likes

Its 2021 future boy :wink:

1 Like

I think you missed the point lol.

As in, the only way that its going to be “this week” is, if its the same week next year e.g. the 11th week of the year (although op may be referring to week 12-being tomorrow is Monday)

3 Likes

2021 it is.

1 Like

What too much do you mean? As far as I can tell, there is one feature that took a good amount of dev time (single player/private server) and then some minor stuff was tacked on to support it (weapons/shields, some skill and progression tweaks). I don’t think there is anything significant enough that could be pulled from this that wouldn’t have defeated the point of the whole release. What would you pull out?

1 Like

skills + new items into one part, local worlds into another part afaik.

4 Likes

Like @Clexarews said.

5 Likes

I guess you could have gotten that update a month or two ago and then wait all this time for the local universe update that most current players don’t care about and then wait another 3-6 months to see what the next update is.

You would get the same stuff with longer stretches between things you care about. I don’t understand how that would be better.

I guess this kind of thing is why they stopped communicating about future features, isn’t it…

1 Like

It would make combat more interesting for me if we get the melee update and make basing on higher tier planets easier for me if we got the skill update. Currently getting a local universe does nothing for me at all. Hence my feelings on splitting the release.

From a purely selfish perspective if that helps lol.

4 Likes

It actually makes the file size smaller to add a bunch of stuff into one update then splitting things into multiple updates when making new things in a game for on PlayStation. They are probably waiting to make it in one update due to the limitations on how much data can be processed at a time on the PS4.

2 Likes

shakes fist PS Fooooouuuuurrrrr!!! >:[
(thanks for the info though! :+1: )

2 Likes

I will admit the PS4 sometimes stinks for it’s limitations but overall it’s not bad. lol. The ps5 however if people could ever get their hands on one, is really powerful compared to the PS4 and could handle things way better.

1 Like

My computer is incapable of running the local universe. You need at least a quad core to do it.
So I’m more interested in the weapons/skill update.

3 Likes