[OUTDATED] MEGA THREAD: Gem Locations (After March 2017 Resource Distribution)

How do you identify an ice biome if it has no ice?

Well you cant, but this information comes from other sources (mostly game files).

@Seleiance the point is that the gem prefers to generate in ice biomes. There are no ice biomes and therefore the gem is rare

It’s also because they only spawn at high altitude, where there usually isn’t anything to dig, making them doubly rare.

1 Like

Picture i made is using data mined information so may not be correct.

hello hello
Could some one help me with coord or a screen shot with a sample of where i can find Amethysts on munteen?
thanks a bunch in advance
i cant find those mountains and if i do no Amethysts…so i would like to check ^^
again thank you!

Amethysts are high up, and I think they are pretty rare… The data on here is correct but amethysts are just hard to find!

1 Like

it seems everything is hard to find… i’ve stopped looking entirely, hunting is a more efficient way of finding gems imo…
I think if gems are restricted to a biome, (especially at elevations) that should be pretty much all you find.

I have seen a amethyst on Munteen… once! Never bothered trying to farm them again afterwards.

In my experience (I have stopped looking since the shop/forums keeps me busy):

• You can mine diamond/ruby very effectively (seeing a dozen or more average an hour). These exceed hunting in gems / hour in my testing (depends on how many L5 cuttles happen to spawn for you). Hunting groups are still way better due to how more mobs spawn this way.
  • Topaz/emerald are more time consuming but you can still expect to find them (seeing a maybe one seam in an hour).
  • Amethyst / sapphire you’re better off just hunting for.
4 Likes

Rubies have been kinda scarce recently… Could just be me though

1 Like

To me it seems that gem hunting is full time job. You either do it for long time and get average success, or you do it short time or do either great either none

Yeah I can’t find much anymore either.

1 Like

ive never ever seen a raw gem in game only from monster drops :joy: kinda strange becouse ive been to the top and lowest depths of all planets

Is this information still valid for the current state of the game?

I’m relatively new (Bought the game about a week ago, already sunk 83 hrs into it.), but I have yet to find 1 single gem while mining and that’s about all I do while I’m playing. (I’ve been using this guide since about the 10 hr mark when I finally built up enough funds to buy decent equipment for a journey off of my starting T1 planet.)

Titanium is almost as bad, but at least I’ve found around 50ish ore of that so far.

Now, I’m not looking for someone to give me grids to an old farm spot or lead me directly to a node. What I am after however, is confirmation that my time isn’t being wasted going by this information. If this is legit, I’ll keep digging until I find it on my own. (Although if that takes much longer I’m going to start a new post entitled “Rage, Rebellion, and Retribution ore needs a new Distribution System”. <-Trademarked.)

Thanks and Cheers,
-Eld

3 Likes

Still legit.

Diamond and ruby are easiest to farm and only viable to mine imo.

3 Likes

Emeralds are sorta ok too if you find the right mountain cave systems >.> but even then they are annoying ><

all others are supper rare mostly due to the fact that their favored spawn locations are rare themselves (i.e. Floating mountains etc)

2 Likes

I’d say that about the last 15 hrs of my dig time has been spent on Vulpto down in the lava caves. I travel in one direction for an entire dig session staying at a depth of about 10-35ish moving with the natural ground formations down there mining out all the resources I can find along the way. I’ve been finding enough copper, iron and coal to net me a rather nice profit from Omni’s shop :smile: but the amount of titanium found isn’t really enough to support my titanium hammer addiction. And again, no gems. Any other advice?

2 Likes

the key is to say under mountains… at least for me… find a really big one and climb to the center/top of it and save the location… then you can set it as a waypoint to keep track of where you are under the mountain when exploring its caves ^^

5 Likes

Ok. That is some solid advice. Thank you, I’ll give it a shot the next time I go out.

Just to add, most of my gem finds from mining were either:

• an already visible gem seam on the wall
  • found by following another vein (copper, iron, coal, etc)
2 Likes