[OUTDATED] MEGA THREAD: Gem Locations (After March 2017 Resource Distribution)

From an old post: https://forum.playboundless.com/uploads/default/optimized/2X/0/0a44170c7bee794c258308895b5ab2b4dfbb3731_1_505x500.png

this is how uv-mapping, the world is not being mapped to a full sphere, but is being mapped to a hemisphere, and its that hemisphere that you see in the planets in the sky and on these in-world atlases, because you never see the entirety of the hemisphere at once you get an effect of things dissapearing off one side and appearing on the other (though if you pay enough attention, they re-appear too quickly to be a real sphere etc), on the atlases in-world, for the current world it locks to show where you actually are and facing direction in the middle, and for other-worlds just freely rotates like a planet in the sky.

10 Likes

I’m not sure I’m understanding what a “brown mountain” biome is on Epsilo. I’ve found many mountains with brown in them, but most are covered with either ice on top, or grass on top, and never anything I’d consider principally ‘brown’.

Does someone have an example picture?

EDIT: Courtesy of Akii on the Discord:

1 Like

Yeah that’s them.
Note that the base of the mountain is already high and you’ll be finding topaz in lower parts of them and underneath the ground level. When underneath a mountain it’s easy to wander away and land outside topaz spawn area so it’s good to save a location when you start mining and track it to be able to say where you are.
Good luck!
Ah right. You will find some tech devices in these mountains too.

2 Likes

Been exploring Vulpto’s caves.
Visited 5-6 natural caves, below 25 altitude(25-19), seen 0 gems yet. What am I doing wrong?

try different areas - some gems might like certain surface above (maybe grassy more than rocky etc. - or its just a random thing; either way you need to travel and try caves in different biomes etc.;sometime you hit an area where an hour mining in caves gives you 40-60 gems, so you come back there for a few weeks and then suddenly it spawns very little, but an area that was barren before suddenly spawns more of them gems);

Also, use an atlas (drop a ruby on it) and follow the hot spots.

1 Like

Seems there’s no other way - only searching :frowning:

I think atlas is lying. Been searching silver with it’s help. Also tried to search for fibrous leaves - shows only some of plants, often in wrong places.
By the way, to search rubies with atlas I need to find at least one))))

I can give ya a ruby to load it up

1 Like

Rubies favor being under mountains… generally the bigger the better… i don’t know if any has changed… but they do seem harder to find then they were 6-8 months ago… maybe all the “easy” or obvious ones have been picked clean… but when i do find them now, they are often tucked away in the nooks and crannies =/

while it’s not a miracle tool… the atlas does help for rare things like Tech Devises, Gems, and what not =)

1 Like

I must say, I’ve been finding a tonne of rubies… As @jiivita said, under mountains

2 Likes

I haven’t had much luck with the atlas finding things, only about half the time do I find what I’m looking for, and still have to spend a couple hours looking through too much area.

1 Like

I haven’t been doing too bad with rubies using the atlas, certainly better than without it. I’m not having much luck with tech devices and components though. The atlas isn’t accurate enough for them especially as they are usually just one block rather than a small cluster like gems, so much easier to miss, plus their altitude range can vary quite a lot.

Yes, tech devices and components were too often not found where the atlas said.

i find them in surface caves the atlasses should say altitudes
vulpto is in caves near surface tier 3 tech but not exposed to see ------- near lava gold ruby silver ------ and in middle ruby and coal iron ------- fosils also a small bit higher then the lava oh and if ya dig the redsand pockets ya get good sulphur

this is my research and completly not pro lol

4 Likes

Thank you)
Hope I can handle it myself)

3 Likes

So are diamonds hard to find at the proper elivation/planet? I need to start farming them for my workbench.

1 Like

Not really. I don’t have an atlas in front of me. But I think more than 50% of the moon has diamonds.

2 Likes

Good to know (I have an atlas to thankfully), I had pretty good luck with Ruby’s. Figured diamonds would be similar. Can’t wait to make my first diamond spanner (sarcasm) haha.

2 Likes

Diamonds and rubies are probably the easiest gems to find so if you had no problems with rubies then you should be ok with diamonds. If you have full luck then each vein should yeald at least 5-6.

2 Likes

Luck doesn’t affect Diamonds, sadly… I have full Luck plus Attribute bonus which adds another Luck point, but tier III drops (Hard Coal/Large Fossil/Gems) always drop 1 each on tier II planets… :confused:

I hope this is balanced at some point. I feel that it’s strange for Topaz and Diamond to be artificially harder to gain a lot of simply due to the fact that they spawn on a tier II world. Diamond is at least a bit balanced because it spawns so frequently. Ruby, however, can drop up to three each block now and is easier to find than Diamond. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

2 Likes