Meteor Mechanics Help?

Does anyone know the true mechanics to causing a meteor to fall? I’ve scoured the forums to no avail and am trying to wrap my mind around this for when I go hunting and to compile info for new members. My understanding so far has been that they fall on unplotted land on T3+ worlds, they are triggered on a timer for someone that stays in a region, and are triggered upon entering a new region that no one has been in recently. My questions are:

1: Are there any mechinics to the timer for someone in the same region (an hour, random, etc)?

2: How long must a region be vacant before someone entering it will trigger a meteor?

3: I’ve noticed that using warp conduit to enter a region doesn’t trigger any meteors, but using portal conduit does, is this just my luck or anyone else notice this?

4: Any rhyme or reason to when 2 or 3 meteors fall at the same time?

My son says I’m a trigger, LOL Every time we go to a planet we seem to have meteorites hitting around us left and right. We had one land and I swear before we had run from where we were in the area of it two more landed and we were running for our lives on a level 5 planet and the three meteorites were level 3. We finally get away and half a hour later two more landed, one almost on top of us.
Went underground to mine and in the hour we were mining, three more meteorites landed close by. At least we had dormant meteorites to get some stuff from.

I can’t wait to get smacked by a meteor! Still trying :slightly_frowning_face: I need to follow you guys around lol

We had that happen to us, for me, second time. When the snow meteorites were on I was trying to jump and avoid a spitter and jumped over the meteorite and another one landed, right on top of me. It showed me dead on top of it, with the defeated notice. Then later it popped up that I had a achievement, dead by meteorite.

My son got that when we were on a level 4 planet around three days ago. We had been running from one and another one landed on top of us. One snow event, I was on a level 1 planet and had just a couple minutes apart meteorites surround me. I’m serious, one landed to one side, as I turned to run another one landed, then a third and fourth. Climbed to the top of the hill and looked around, I was surrounded by snow and had the critters on my tail wanting a piece of me. Ran, ran, and ran some more. Alone, not able to handle them alone at that time, I gave up and quit playing for a while.

1 Like

There are two triggers afaik, when someone enters a region that hasn’t been visited in a while (can’t quantify “while”, maybe 4 hours?), and the same with 300 x 300 block squares if I recall correctly. The square one might not be a 100% chance, regions are at least very close to 100%, sometimes a meteor doesn’t fall when entering a new one but I think that’s just because that region is on “cooldown” from a previous meteor. Both of those can be turned on in https://www.boundless-maps.com (“show regions” in top right) to visualise the areas. This doesn’t explain the random meteors falling down while staying in the same area though, maybe it’s just that the 4 hour timer is up and somebody is already in the region, which causes a meteor to spawn. Those double meteors I think come from triggering the region and the square area at the same time. Maybe :smiley:

3 Likes

I have been trying for a while too! It is frustrating that the meteorites landings always seem to be twice as far from me as I can run.

1 Like

I’ve been on hunts where 3 have landed at one time. It’s not very uncommon to get two at a time. I think I’m not very good at estimating where they will land exactly though lol dang it :laughing:

Yeah that can happen, I suspect it’s just that you’re moving a bit diagonally and hit two of the square zones and a region, but I could also just not know about a third trigger :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I don’t know. I’ve never had to repair a meteor.

:wink:

It sounds like the best meteor probabilities come from exploration of planets/regions that are less active. Also, although meteors don’t fall in the same spot twice some regions receive more meteorological events than others. Prior hunting experience on that planet is very helpful. There are spots on Lamblis where I can consistently get double and back to back meteor spawns.

I look for the tail from it falling. It can be obscured by hills or cliffs, but generally after it lands a couple seconds later there is a organish tail in the sky pointing to where it landed. Doesn’t last long but if you can see it and note the direction, you might find it.
Level 3 meteorite my son can handle alone, but when I am with him he kinda feels it isn’t safe.
He keeps reminding me of the time when I had forgotten to change from my grapple to my slingbow and went to shoot at a hopper. Dragging it to me and I let go not paying attention to where he was and let go beside him, it blew up and killed him. We were on a level 4 and it was a level 3 and close to the end. I got hit a few seconds later by a couple elementals, hoppers and spitters so died. We lost the meteorite.
Couldn’t help but laugh, adding insult to injury. Told him I was sorry.

1 Like