Minimap confusion

I’ve seen people in old posts talking about a minimap and sizing it. I can’t find a way to open a minimap at all. Is it currently in the game? If so, how do you access it?

Not in the game yet, was in a older version.

Thanks for the info…

I think the minimap may have been nixed in favor of the compass. That being said, I would enjoy a full screen map, perhaps as a crafted item, that can be used to get a top-down view of cities. It would be nice to include labels like plot owners or shop locations to help orient visitors to new cities.

9 Likes

The old minimap system is actually still in the game and can be enabled via some debugging options. It was originally disabled as it didn’t fit into the updated HUD design. It’s on ice whilst we workout what it should become but it hasn’t had any attention for a long time.

But as it’s been already been raised in this thread, how would everyone like to see a minimap presented?

1. No minimap.
  2. As a smaller in-HUD element - as before.
  3. As a held map item - that the player can equip and hold up to see whilst exploring.
  4. As a larger GUI screen - where a player can bring up a larger map, but wouldn’t be able to navigate whilst viewing.
  5. … something else.

Thoughts? Preferences?

Which other game delivered the best minimaps?

3 Likes

A bigger gui-map that you can turn on/off, and drag around.
With widescreen its no problem to drag it to the far left or right while you still can run with it open.

With the compass it is not necessary to have it open all time, only check things when needed…

It would be nice with a button on the map where you can switch to universe, now i need to go back to the pic over planets on forum, when i need to check out which planet is which (i am terrible to remember names.)…

1 Like

2&4 would work in tandem pretty nicely in my opinion, have a small map you can always see for a general idea of location and surroundings and have an expanded version you can pull up for more details, zoom in set waypoints etc. I also think having the large map you pull up remember areas you’ve explored previously (like Minecraft’s map system) would be a great feature. And explorers could even benefit from this if there was ever a feature implemented that would let you craft a map, but not a map as in one you’d hold up and walk around with but more like something that functions like the location markers you can craft and give to people. One person goes and explores a large area, crafts the item and gives it to another player, other player uses it and is able to see what the other person has explored which would have been previously greyed out to them on their map?

what i would love is a holdable map item that shows a smaller area but is fairly detailed as to the top down view of whats happening,

but then also a fairly interactive map like next to the saved locations tab, taht you can’t walk while using, but you can scroll around to try and find what you’re looking for (labels included) and set a compass marker.

2 Likes

I would love runescape approach with minimaps. Have a small map on the corner and then be able to expand and look.

Ooo that sounds interesting ^^ im guessing only devs can access these options or should i start trying random key combinations? sorry love tinkering with things

anyway i’m find with No Minimap the compass and landmark system works great imho.
However 4 (large interactive map window) would be great for getting a better idea of whats going on around the player.

maps as items is an interesting concept but never much cared for it in minecraft and never really used them as the inventory space was more valuable to me than the navigation aid. so unless they are somehow supper amazing… i at least, would opt to ignore them in favor of more bag space

Bah, I say! Bah! These maps are such a bore! We have access to ancient Oortian surveying technology! Give us a 3d wire frame projection of the world around us right at our feet!

Switch to third person, and show the character holding up an Oortian surveyor, projecting a 3d world map of the imediate area around them in colorful holographic lights. When below surface elevations (like 70 or what ever sea level is) it should switch to a 3d subterranean view, allowing navigation of the cavernous tunnel networks below the surface.
The complexity and detail of the map does not need to be to the extreme of, say, The Division, but it is certainly an excellent example.

5 Likes
  1. A scalable mini-map that can take up about 1/10 of the upper right corner of the screen - Movement allowed

2. A full screen map for reference (much larger area) - Movement not allowed.

I agree. RS isn’t my favorite game, but there a few things I really enjoyed. The map system being one of them.
I like a small, somewhat resizable mini map in the corner, and a full map showing places that have been discovered that can be pulled up full screen, but would prevent movement while looking.

a poll maybe?

WHAT FORM OF MAP WOULD YOU PREFER?

• small in-HUD map
  • held item (inventory kept)
  • full screen (key activated)
  • something else (post suggestions)
  • no minimap

0 voters

i can’t vote twice. but that’s the one i’d prefer. what i’d actually want is a held item for detail and close by, and a key activated for trying to find a city to go to kind of thing.

1 Like

To be honest (despite the fact that comparing and contrasting Boundless with Minecraft is considered bad), I really like the way Minecraft handles maps.

It’s a held item, but you can also mount it on a wall, and craft copies of it to give to friends.

I’d say it’s the most thematically appropriate out of the options, but more than that it presents some great opportunities for a number of map-crafting related skills to add to an explorer type skill set. It is (while probably not in time for 1.0), an idea that the Devs could really run with and do something fun.

Just my opinion, of course.

3 Likes